Thread: Modified Son of Grok's BBQ sauce for those 20% days page

strom is offline Senior Member

Modified Son of Grok's BBQ sauce for those 20% days

Primal Fuel
    Son of Grok has a decent BBQ sauce that is healthier than normal. This is slightly less so but still healthier than the type you can get in bottles. You really do need some molasses to get that smokey flavor that is I think a hallmark of a good BBQ sauce. I think this is amazing.

1 6 oz can of tomato paste
    1.5 cups of water with a 1 teaspon of xantham gum (thickner)*
    3 cloves of garlic
    1/2 onion or 1 tbsp of onion powder
    2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
    1 tbsp EVOO
    1 tsp sea salt
    2 tbsp Chili powder
    1/2 tsp of Liquid Smoke
    1 1/2 tsp Molasses
    1/2 tsp of mustard seeds

*the original has 1 to 1.5 cups of beef broth, but I didn't have any good quality stock on hand. xantham gum thickens the sauce up

Add all ingredients together in sauce pot, put over over range. Heat up the range to simmer level, and mixed all ingredients together. Cover the sauce pot, yet occasionally stir it during the cooking time. 30 minutes-40 minutes so that the sauce blends together nicely. You can than refrigerate, or use directly on whatever you want.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Huh, 1.5 tsp of molasses is pretty small, I'd consider that WAY WAY WAY better than the bottled stuff.

I'm gonna experiment with cherries, and with peaches as I get an abundance of them. I think peach puree may thicken, sweeten and add something awesome.

I actually have some mildly spicey peach salsa I got from the store. Has a bit of sugar in it, but I will probably remake it myself if its good.

1.5 tsp of molasses might be too much if a person is VLC or diabetic. The tomatoes are kind of carby too, but I don't think anything in the recipe is that high glycemic. I used the sauce and smothered it on 6 drumsticks tonight. Baked that for 1 hour, it was really good. We ate that with coconut milk sticky rice (its called glutinous sometimes, but oddly doesn't have gluten), and broccoli. Very satisfying although I wish I made more meat.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I'm planning on making a peach salsa too, and if it turns out well I'll give it away for christmas!

marktripp is offline Senior Member
    I really like the BBQ sauce from the book. Yummy

mayness is offline Senior Member
    After making SoG's BBQ sauce for the first time, I went out and bought some of that "liquid smoke" for next time to give it a bit of smokey flavor, but I was wondering what amount to use. So thanks for answering that for me!

What else do you do with molasses? I've never bought any... the only recipes I can remember seeing that called for it were baked beans or desserts/baked goods. Just wondering if I'd ever find reasons to use it. =]

Molasses has a caramel flavor and its lower gi than honey. I would think it would go really well with ginger as well and to harmonise Chinese style sauces.

Big update. I finally got around to actually making real chicken stock. Powerful stuff, I just needed to 2 tablespoons of it to thicken my sauce, although I did still use the same amount of water. Also added some stevia, smoked paprika and 3 teaspoons of molasses. I used this as a sauce for leftover chicken from the chicken stock. It made the chicken addictive to eat as oppposed to flavorless bland over cooked chicken.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    As someone stated, liquid smoke will give you all the smokey flavor you need. Also if you like spicy/smokey, chipotle powder works very well.