Thread: Please talk to me about organ meat page

triplemwf is offline Member

Please talk to me about organ meat

Shop Now
    I'm placing an order this morning with the farm (local, all organic, grass fed, soy free, antibiotic free, etc) and want to try something new. Where is the best place for a newbie to start when it comes to organ meat? I have the option of several cow and pig organs as well as chicken livers and gizzards. Where should I start? Also, any recipes or tips on preparation would be greatly appreciated.
    Height: 5'1"
    High Weight: March 2010 - 236lbs & Low Weight: July 2011 - 134.8lbs
    Current weight 6/29/15 185.8lbs

Follow me on Instagram @podtastic_eats

Check out my blog! I'm a newbie PODTASTICEATS.wordpress.com

John Caton is offline Senior Member
    Calf or chicken liver, poached or pan fried with onions. When done, lightly season with turmeric and black pepper.
    Stop by to visit at primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

catgirl320 is offline Senior Member
    Hearts don't have as much a flavor as liver does, so some find it easier to start with if they haven't eaten much organ meat before. It can be poached in a tasty broth, or it can be chopped and mixed with hamburger meat.

I find chicken liver has a lighter flavor than beef. I salt and pepper it, heat some oil in a pan and saute some garlic, then cook the liver about three minutes per side.

Nightly Orange is offline Senior Member
    I like sweetbreads a lot. Have only tried cow, not pig. I think they have quite a rich flavor, but at the same time the taste is somehow "lighter" than liver and not as overbearing. Also, it's difficult to overcook sweetbreads so that's one thing you don't have to worry about when preparing them.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    chicken livers are an easy intro as a quick saute, with capers and golden raisins, or poached and then made into pate.

with hearts and gizzards you can make dirty rice (regular rice or low-carb cauliflower rice).

we love beef heart and tongue but i usually slow-braise them so that kind of dish is off the menu till the weather is cool again.if you have a slow-cooker, you can use that though.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    There's always the olde English standbys - steak and kidney pie, bubble and squeak, tripe and so on. Like most unfamiliar foods, they may take extensive culinary treatment to appeal to most. There are lots of online sources for cooking such delicacies.;-)

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Learn More
    x2 heart
    There's a slight challenge because it's chewy without some work but also lean so it can't withstand tons of cooking. I like to slice thin, marinate, then make stir fry or fajita.

For liver I salt & season a bit of tapioca flour and coat dry slices for pan frying, makes a crisp/tender contrast. Serve with mustard and pickles.
    36//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list