Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V8 juice? page

Nellodee is online now Senior Member

V8 juice?

Shop Now
    Sometimes I get a serious craving for this stuff. Happened today, so bought 2 64oz bottles which will be gone sometime tomorrow. So just how bad is this stuff? It seemed to make me feel worse after a nap, which is usually a sign that there is something bad like MSG in a food.

RECONSTITUTED VEGETABLE JUICE BLEND (WATER AND CONCENTRATED JUICES OF TOMATOES, CARROTS, CELERY, BEETS, PARSLEY, LETTUCE, WATERCRESS, SPINACH), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF: SALT, VITAMIN C (ASCORBIC ACID), NATURAL FLAVORING, CITRIC ACID, NATURAL FLAVOR.

Wondering what natural flavoring and natural flavor are :P
    Music of the day/week/month/whatever:

Kimya Dawson - The Competition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJUDjMpgx8U

I never wanted to be better than my friends...

Vainamoinen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellodee View Post

Wondering what natural flavoring and natural flavor are :P
    Yes, that is often MSG. For some reason companies find that "MSG" on a label does not help sales. LOL

There are arcane rules about what can be described as what on a label. I believe that in the U.S. if you synthesise something from petrochemicals you have to call it "artificial flavor" but if you synthesise it from plants or animals you can call it "natural flavor". But it doesn't necessarily make any difference to the toxicity of something where your raw materials for the lab come from.

Here's the FDA on MSG:

FDA requires that foods containing added MSG list it in the ingredient panel on the packaging as monosodium glutamate. However, MSG occurs naturally in ingredients such as hydrolyzed vegetable protein, autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed yeast, yeast extract, soy extracts, and protein isolate, as well as in tomatoes and cheeses. While FDA requires that these products be listed on the ingredient panel, the agency does not require the label to also specify that they naturally contain MSG. However, foods with any ingredient that naturally contains MSG cannot claim “No MSG” or “No added MSG” on their packaging. MSG also cannot be listed as “spices and flavoring.”
    Questions and Answers on Monosodium glutamate (MSG)

I would read that as saying that if you added some "hydrolyzed vegetable protein" or something similar to a vegetable juice to give it a kick, while MSG would be present, you wouldn't have to declare it on a label.

If you usually find you get that reaction when you've had MSG, then I'd be fairly suspicious of that product.

I'd also have thought that if you do get a "serious craving" for it, then - paradoxically - it might be the MSG that you're craving.

I think people can and do crave things they're in need of - that's a natural response that helps us navigate our way through our environment and find the nutrition we need. However, those responses can get hijacked. There's plenty of evidence that food companies spend an astonishing amount of money on adding small amounts of this or that to a food in order to hook people on it. The word seems appropriate: it is almost analogous to the response some people seem to get to drugs, alcohol, tobacco, or other substances they have problems with.

Those adverts where they say things like, "Bet you can't eat just one," rather give the game away.

When it comes to "food addiction" it seems likely it's an error to think that the problem is "fat, sugar, salt" as one rather silly popular book had it. People are much more likely to be responding to flavourings than to macronutrients or salt. Of course, if you lace a big bag of corn chips with flavourings that make the buyer keep coming back for more, the end result of that is that he gets a huge dose of one macronutrient - carbohydrate - that he definitely doesn't need in excess and that will spike his insulin and generally do him no good.

John Caton is offline Senior Member
    What is the sodium intake you're getting from that much V8?
    Stop by to visit at primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

ekba09 is online now Senior Member
    Yeah - I would check the sodium first.
    I do like V8 once in a while, but usually get the reduced sodium version.

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Or, maybe if she's having mad cravings for it, it's the sodium that she needs.
    OP, I have no idea how bad it is or not - being mostly vegetable juice I don't think it's terrible - but you're right to question the natural flavouring/natural flavour and if it makes you feel like crap after drinking it, isn't that answer enough? Maybe there's another brand you can try that won't have the same aftereffect...

Vainamoinen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    Or, maybe if she's having mad cravings for it, it's the sodium that she needs.
    I think if she was in need of salt, she'd find she wanted to take a pinch of salt, not get and drink this product. Sometimes I do find the thought of a pinch appeals, so I do take one. Body wisdom, I suppose.

That explanation just doesn't add up. (Besides, the product's probably higher in potassium, anyway.) If she's being driven to this product in particular - "serious craving" does sound significant - then there's possibly more to it than first appears.

OP, I have no idea how bad it is or not - being mostly vegetable juice I don't think it's terrible - but you're right to question the natural flavouring/natural flavour and if it makes you feel like crap after drinking it, isn't that answer enough? Maybe there's another brand you can try that won't have the same aftereffect...
    Yes, I agree with all that - (1) that vegetable juice in itself is not a problem, (b) that you have to wonder what the flavouring is, and (c ) that "if you feel like crap …" it's a bad sign.

But I wouldn't try another brand. If vegetable juice appealed to me, I'd make it from scratch with fresh organic vegetables.

vabelle35 is offline Member
    I needed V8 for a recipe recently and settled on the RW Knudsen Organic Very Veggie Juice:

FILTERED WATER (SUFFICIENT TO RECONSTITUTE), TOMATO PASTE, VEGETABLE JUICE BLEND (CARROT AND CELERY JUICES; VINEGAR; BEET AND PARSLEY JUICES; SALT; SPINACH, LETTUCE, WATERCRESS JUICES), LEMON JUICE CONCENTRATE, GRAIN VINEGAR, SEA SALT, DEHYDRATED GREEN BELL PEPPERS, VEGETABLE JUICE CONCENTRATES (CARROT, CELERY, SPINACH, LETTUCE, RED BEET).

Nellodee is online now Senior Member
    I want a juicer.
    Music of the day/week/month/whatever:

Kimya Dawson - The Competition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJUDjMpgx8U

I never wanted to be better than my friends...

ekba09 is online now Senior Member
    I've used a simple food mill to make tomato juice. Should work with some other vegetables added.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    From here: Calories in V8 - V8 100% Vegetable Juice Can | Nutrition Health Facts

There are 640 mg of sodium in an eight ounce glass and 460 mg of potassium.

When I crave salt, I usually go searching for olives.

One thing about making one's own tomato juice. It might take some experimenting around with seasonings, maybe a souring ingredient like ACV or lemon. The perfectly smooth, beautifully red, perfectly engineered spice wise store stuff is tough to replicate. If you have a source of organic tomato paste, that's easier than working with tomatoes. I've done it with tomatoes, and it's perfectly acceptable, even using just a blender, and especially for Bloody Marys. But the tomato paste (which I add even when I make it with fresh tomatoes) makes a more uniform product.

The upside is that eventually you get something you love. I don't really measure anything. I just throw stuff in the blender until it tastes the way I want it.

Good luck.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast