Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rib VIRGIN page

marktripp is offline Senior Member

Rib VIRGIN

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm new to ribs, any suggestion? Pork, lamb, beef? No Idea Please HELP! Cooking advise as well. I'm thinking of just using my PB BBQ sauce but how long too cook and what method? I've seen some use the oven and grill?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    One simple, foolproof way to cook ribs: Boil in salted water for an hour or so. Drain, and let marinate overnight in the fridge in any sauce of your choice. Regular BBQ sauce is fine, obviously read your labels. On eatin day, just fire up the grill or your oven broiler and get them looking nice and crisped, doesn't take long and you don't have to worry about doneness or temps.
    This is not the very best way, but it is easy, and they taste dang good. Oh, and you may as well start with pork. And let me know when I can come over and help you eat em!

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I cooked pork ribs for the first time recently. I did it all in the oven since I don't have anywhere to grill. I placed the ribs on a big baking sheet, sprinkled with some seasonings and baked at 325 for about 1.5 hours with the meaty side up... then flipped so the bony side was up, spread with BBQ sauce, and baked 30 minutes... then flipped again, covered that side with BBQ sauce, and baked 30 more minutes.

I also bought some grass-fed beef short ribs a while back (because they were relatively cheap, heh), and made a really nice crock pot recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/slow-cook...rt-ribs-425890 I left out the brown sugar, and served over riced cauliflower. Just to give you an idea of something less traditional that you can do with ribs. =]

Barb is offline Senior Member
    I recommend that you to : http://www.amazingribs.com for the best advice on cooking ribs EVER. This web site really teaches the science of grilling, smoking, baking, and broiling. In short, the word is cook them low and slow for the best results. Do NOT boil ribs prior to grilling, boiling just leaches flavor compounds and toughens the meat. How appealing is boiled meat? I recently cooked up some delicious pork spare ribs in the oven according to their method - put a rub on, then cooked at 225 degrees for 7 hours, then slapped some BBQ sauce on and put them under the broiler until bubbly good. These were so tender and juicy, melt in your mouth goodness. AFter that I cooked a brisket accordingly, in a 250 degree oven all day with similar results. Check out the website, you won't be sorry.

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    my husband got this idea from a friend of his but the ribs turn out AMAZING!!

Pressure cook them!
    what we do is first we cook the ribs in some water in the pressure cooker for around 10 minutes. then we strain, then we make home made bbq sauce and put it in the pressure cooker with the ribs all mixed up in the bbq sauce and cook again for 15 minutes.

if you like a lil crunch around the ribs, you can choose to throw them on a very hot grill after for a minute each side to get them crispy, but we eat them straight out of the cooker most times.

VIRGIN NO MORE!!! Wow I will do the other half 2moro. I rubbed them with sea salt, cracked pepper, and italian spices. Cooked for 5 hours bathed them in BBQ sauce from the book, cooked 1 more hour, gave another bath, cooked for about 30-45 min longer and wow!!! Oven temp 225. I had planned on them for lunch but that didn't happen. The advise of 2hrs did not cut it. So almost 7hrs later they where absolutely PRIMAL GOODNESS!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Barb is offline Senior Member
    So glad to hear they turned out great! Way to go!

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    For the love of god YOU DON"T BOIL RIBS!!!! You are just killing the meat when you boil it. Low and slow should be your mantra. There's no need for b.b.q. sauce if you cook them with a good rub (buttrub.com). B.b.q. sauce merely covers up all that is good about properly cooked ribs. It's like putting A1 sauce on a fillet.

Sorry, I'm from the south, we take this stuff seriously down here. Eat some properly smoked ribs and you'll never think of boiling them again.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    For those of us who can't smoke our ribs because we live in apartments, tell me a way to cook these in the crockpot without a HFCS laden BBQ sauce!

Yes yes I know its a poor way to cook ribs but as I no longer live in a house, I had to sell my smoker

Quote Originally Posted by mikebike View Post
    For the love of god YOU DON"T BOIL RIBS!!!! You are just killing the meat when you boil it. Low and slow should be your mantra. There's no need for b.b.q. sauce if you cook them with a good rub (buttrub.com). B.b.q. sauce merely covers up all that is good about properly cooked ribs. It's like putting A1 sauce on a fillet.

Sorry, I'm from the south, we take this stuff seriously down here. Eat some properly smoked ribs and you'll never think of boiling them again.
    I didn't boil them, I learned real fast that was a HUGE no no! I did however use the PB BBQ sauce on them, I did not drown them just enhanced them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast