Thread: Pre/Post-workout & Don Lemmon's Know-How page

chronyx is offline Senior Member

Pre/Post-workout & Don Lemmon's Know-How

How do you guys eat before and after your workouts? Mainly I'm interested in your strength experiences.

I have been eating very low-carb this week, I can taste the metallic taste on my tongue and feel that slight headache that I've read about.

My back squats on Wednesday were way down although I'd eaten plenty, just no carbs before.

My trainer/coach swears by the Know-how diet and says "Protein before, carbs after". The idea is to deplete the muscle glycogen with a short and sharp compound weights routine e.g. deadlifts, then a metabolic conditioning exercise e.g. sprints or tabata air squats. He is also not a fan of chronic cardio!

He is strong and lean with it, not bulky at all, and doesn't seem to have problems doing whatever weight is on the chart.

But the last time I had a sweet potato before lifting I felt very strong, however on Wednesday I was amazed I got as far as I did! How do you know if your muscles have enough glycogen for a workout?

Just looking for experiences/tips.

Thanks all
    Last edited by chronyx; 07-16-2010 at 09:31 AM.

Cosima is offline Senior Member
    Hey chronyx,

I was wondering this same thing. You might find this link helpful: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/muscl...ing-and-carbs/

Grok on!

Thanks a lot!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Always have some carbs before working out. Otherwise you will risk burning your own muscle for fuel. You NEED glycogen, there's no other way around it.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Would some thing like half a sweet potato be the right amount? Saving the rest for after.

Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    Would some thing like half a sweet potato be the right amount? Saving the rest for after.
    I don't know how intense you train so you have to see it for yourself.

Fair comment What are your pre/post-workout meals and timings? Everyone please post if you do Crossfit style workouts as they are very similar!

Deadlift today I failed for the last rep on a 5/3/1 set. It seems that a little carb before weights just gives my body a reserve to keep going.

I do Starting Strength and it's very intense at this point. I'm racing to get to 3 plates on squats.

My pre-work out meal, or rather breakfast, consists of 6 eggs, 1-2 bananas and coconut milk. I eat this at 6:30 AM and workout only after class at 12PM. It's a long time between but it's okay since I prefer to lift on an empty stomach.
    My post work out meal is a can of tuna on my way home from the gym. Then when I get home I eat half a cup (raw) of white rice and chicken breast.
    On a workout day my carbs can go up to 200 grams and protein 250 grams.
    I'm not looking to lose weight though.

Nocturnalhorse is offline Senior Member
    Preworkout... A cup of black tea with lime/ empty stomach.
    Postworkout.. Whey/coconut milk. 1 hour later.... A nice juicy steak with veggies.

I am talking about intense heavy ass powerlifting and weightlifting sessions. Having experimented with practically all the pre-postworkout training protocols this worked for me the best.

Oh! btw I did mention in the introduction thread that I am not 100% primal. I do have a small serving of brown rice 1-2 times a week ( once most of the time) in one single meal, preferably postworkout.
    Last edited by Nocturnalhorse; 07-17-2010 at 11:42 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow! Did you have to become accustomed to that? Rphlslv your meal plan sounds like something that would work