Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Think I Can, I Think I Can (A nOOb's Journal) page

The nOOb is offline Junior Member

I Think I Can, I Think I Can (A nOOb's Journal)

Shop Now
    Hey MDA folks!

My name is Lindsay and this is my second go-ahead at primal eating.

I tried it back in 2011 and failed horribly. I was inspired by some family members who started eating primal and saw great results but I was trying to stick more to paleo and was so discouraged with the organic/grass-fed/non-dairyness about it that I just quit. I felt like everything I cooked tasted like crap and there was SO much planning involved that I wasn't ready to commit.

Here's some background story: I've always been fairly mindful of what I ate and like most who followed CW, stuck to the traditional 'Food Guide' which included low fats, whole grains and sugar free alternatives to sugar (LOL). Up until the last couple years I was very active-bike riding, personal training sessions and boot camps, however, I always struggled to lose weight and I could never figure out why. I was moderately successful on Weight Watchers after the birth of my first child (or second, can't remember) and was WILDLY successful on the 'Divorce Diet' where your stomach is in a complete knot for the first few months and you can't eat ANYTHING. But, as gravity and age and poor choices are apt to do, I gained it all back and then some.

About 7 months ago I started going through some financial hardship and resorted to buying everything that was inexpensive to feed myself and two kids-this included prepackaged everything, pasta, bread and...UGH...I won't go on because it's not pretty. Around this time I started noticing some physical changes with my body-not just the inevitable severe bloat and weight gain, but I developed horrible cystic acne, hair loss and my monthly cycles became out of whack. I knew something was off, I knew why it was happening yet I felt like I couldn't change it.

A month ago I went and saw a Naturopath and she had confirmed that my hormones were all over the place and ended up prescribing some remedies that would cost me roughly $120/month. Unfortunately that's not really an expense I can live with.

Over the Canadian May-long weekend, my primal sister (she's counting 2 full years now) came home to visit with her family and during a discussion we had with some family, the primal way of life came up again. It's always been on the backburner of my mind but the discussion really hit home.

As of May 18, 2015 I have been eating primal. The only 'slip' I had was on Friday where a friend invited us for supper and the rub on the ribs he made contained about 2tbsp of brown sugar.

I haven't weighed myself but I intend on picking up a scale tonight. I sort of don't want to as I don't want to be driven by pounds lost, but more, how I feel and look. I still want to be able to track progress though! I took measurements but I'm certain I took them wrong so I may have a professional teach me LOL.

Anyway, that's my story. After 10 days I do feel different-I feel lighter, not as 'weighed' down as I did before and I certainly have a clearer mind and more energy. My sleeping has not gotten any better as of yet although even after a fitful sleep I still wake feeling decent-that's good!

My skin however, is still an issue. I suppose I could try to eliminate dairy to see how that goes but I want to eat a solid 30 days primal before trying anything else.

Can anyone suggest natural remedies for poor skin??

lujo238 is offline Member
    You are doing great. I'm only a couple weeks ahead of you. That small amount of brown sugar should not upset your progress unless it causes you to have cravings. I also find the looser Primal guidelines easier than Paleo. The only advice I have on your skin is give it time. Once your hormones balance out it should get better.

blujaded is offline Junior Member
    Hi Lindsay - I'm Hana. My health fiasco story is quite similar to your, except I have a few more years on you. Although I suffered with adult acne, my skin condition is more like psoriasis, with flaky patches of skin on my face, especially around my forehead and eyelids and behind my ears. I also had a naturopath help me out by putting me on a detox/elimination diet. It was rough, but I didn't cheat and saw a great improvement with everything except for my skin :/ I found that using vitamin C crystals (not the ascorbic acid kind - that burns!) mixed with apple cider vinegar as a kind of mask helped a little. I've been following a primal diet for 2 weeks now, and my skin is finally clear of acne, with only a bit of flaking that goes away more every day. Give it time - it took a lot longer for us to put our bodies in this condition!

Thanks for the info!!

I've been reading tons on Apple Cider vinegar as a skin toner. I actually tried a mask using baking soda (lots of mixed reviews) and it worked well for me so we'll see how everything goes!

Quick entry..

I don't know what my starting weight was but I finally invested in a scale and I'm at 177.6 this morning (5ft frame so I do have a way to go), but that's encouraging!

Was at a family function this weekend and not only did I completely avoid the chips and standard fair bday party food, I also passed on cake and instead opted for some homemade guac and veggies when I got home. Progress right there! My cousin had noticed I've shrunk and based on my measurements (however rough they are) I'm down 2 inches in the waist.

I'm going to purchase a better quality tape measure 'cuz the one I'm using is for kids LOL and I'll get some better measurements.

Hurray for progress!!

6packbound is offline Junior Member
    2" is awesome! I am also making my 3rd attempt at Paleo (on day 7). I did it for a solid 3 months each time and LOVED the results. Why the heck do we let life get in the way and go back to SAD eating?? I guess it is just easy and then the sugar beast takes hold...
    ...we can do it! Totally worth the effort!

6packbound

Agreed!! I know before I was not motivated enough. I had a pretty face but so what if my body was puffy? Well now my pretty face has turned on me too >:-|

I can't deny I feel like night and day compared to two weeks ago but I know the last time it was the planning that really got to me. I'm just focusing on making it a habit (and priority) to prepare myself with enough Primal foods to last me each week.

Good luck on your journey!

So obviously I suck at keeping journals but whatevs.

I guess maybe I should track my food too. I do it on PaleoTrack fairly religiously (with the exception of this weekend *ahem*), but will put it here as well.

Today's foods:
    B: 1MD coffee from McDonalds with 2 tbsp. cream and 2 packets of stevia, chicken breast from leftover rotisserie chicken, 1/4 cup roasted broccoli and half roasted yellow pepper (sprinkled some tex-mex seasoning and roasted-OMG)
    L:
    D:

This weekend kinda sucked. The daughter was at a friend's cabin and the son was with me so naturally we had to make it a super fun weekend so he didn't feel left out. We made pizza on Friday (I ate a couple slices of a gluten free thin crust) and salad. Saturday morning I made a delicious veggie stirfry of which I fried an egg and had it over top-what is it with egg yolk being the food of gods?? So that was on par..then we hit the beach and I indulged in a handful of potato chips for snacking (it really was just a handful but I allowed myself to feel guilty over that-boo) and supper was a beautiful fresh garden salad with spinach and greens, veggies and some sunflower seeds. I also ate a hot dog wiener and two meatballs my MiL made which contained rice *sigh*. Whatever, I overlooked the marshmallow roast, banana muffins and other nibblies so I say I triumphed over that-ummmm...except for the bottle of wine I drank over the course of Saturday. Yes, a bottle..not good. Lesson learned LOL.

Yesterday I fasted until supper (with the exception of an iced coffee minus the sugar). Had rotisserie chicken, roasted veggies and a delicious salad full of fresh veggies and some homemade bacon bites.

All in all, I think I'm nailing the eating fairly well. Monday - Friday I am very strict with my food intake and on average manage my macros so one weekend won't devastate me.

Still blow at keeping a journal

Monday's meal finished up as:

L: Oh yes, I had a lunch meeting so I had a bowl of clam chowder and a salad
    D: Mark's Beef Stroganoff and a garden salad with olive oil dressing

Yesterday:

I checked my weight in the morning. 179.6 but down a collective 7". In the evening my weight was 178.4 so that's fun. It was that damn wine..I know it.

B: Two homemade egg muffins
    L: 1.5 Cups of homemade Chicken Salad
    S: 12 Cherries
    D: I made the fixings for a taco salad for the family but I had a meeting so I didn't eat. However, apres la meeting I did indulge in 3TBSP homemade whipped cream (a splash of raw, organic honey to sweeten), a cup of strawberries and a sprinkling of 'granola' mix (cashews, cranberries, pumpkin and sunflower seeds)

I still managed about 1120 calories and approx. 55 carbs. My bf is concerned I'm not taking in enough food (and honestly, so am I but I'm not feeling like I lack energy or hungry or anything).

I need to be more active. Exercise has always been the bane of my existence. I don't know why but the idea of having to workout irks me (I have this character flaw where when I HAVE to do something I just don't WANT to do it). So I'm trying to reshape my thoughts on exercise.

This weekend I'm at an out of town wedding where I know the food choices will be very high in carbs. It's not a buffet, but instead a meal prepared by the family-which will be lovely but leaves little room for choice. It would be easy to say "It's one night" but no, I know how I'll feel the next day and I know it's not worth it. I may just fast on Saturday night...

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Learn More
    Love your username . I think it's very common for people to under-eat early on. Fat can be very satiating for some people initially. If your appetite doesn't come back in a week or two and/or you are feeling the effects of under-eating (light headedness, fatigue, low blood sugar), try cutting back on fat and more carbs (sweet potatoes, fruits, whole food sources).

Adding in physical activity will boost your appetite too, most likely. Is there any kind of exercise or movement that appeals to you? Start with something that you either a) will stick to or b) really enjoy. Even if it's just 20 min of random workout videos! Bicycling and swimming were all I could stand to do for a long time. I tried Crossfit last fall and fell in love, but haven't been able to resume yet due to some injuries (caused by shoveling this winter, ugh).

Regarding the wedding: Do you know what the food will be? Personally, I would rather feel crummy the next day than fast through a wedding dinner! The awkwardness would be too much for me to bear and I would feel so mentally taxed watching other people eat while I chose not to. If it's possible to limit your options a little, such as just eating whatever vegetables are available plus breaded chicken (you could always try scraping off the breading if that will really bug you), I would opt for that. I definitely understand that it's not always easy to stick to those decisions once you're facing the dinner with a rumbling stomach though . Maybe you can eat before you head to the wedding so you won't eat as much there?
    Journal
    Current interests - Starting Strength (reading it very slowly)

Depression Lies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast