Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washing clothes without soap or detergent? page

Anopsmoves is offline Member

Washing clothes without soap or detergent?

Shop Now
    Can you wash your clothes, towels etc. in Plain ole water????

I see no point of using detergent when my clothes come out clean in just water.

I add a little oil of oregano and vinegar to kill any germs... Is this okay?

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Sounds fine to me! Really if your clothes smell fine and feel okay (no weird residue or build-up), they're clean enough.

I have a laundry ball. It's probably a load of bull in regards to how it's supposed to work, but we don't use detergent. Every now and then I will for something that got really dirty or grimy, but that's it.
    Journal
    Current interests - CrossFit

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I use like 1/10th of the amount of detergent they say to use. Works fine.

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    Yeah you can. You can also add baking soda to get rid of oils on your clothing.

I personally use scent-free detergent, but I wash my clothes that aren't workout clothing/undies/etc more sparingly. The detergent has enzymes that "scrape off" the topmost portion of your clothing so washing clothes in detergent isn't that great for clothing longevity.

Im also reading that you should sanitize your washing machine so often just to kills any excess germs and get rid of any musty smell.... I do that with vinegar once a month and it works great but...

is it necessary to sanitize the inside of your dryer? or does the heat do a good job of killing germs?

Vainamoinen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anopsmoves View Post
    Can you wash your clothes, towels etc. in Plain ole water????

I see no point of using detergent when my clothes come out clean in just water.

I add a little oil of oregano and vinegar to kill any germs... Is this okay?
    I remember the historian Ruth Goodman saying years ago that she preferred not to add any - just give the clothes a good hot wash. IOW, you might want a somewhat hotter temperature than you'd use with detergent, but it works.

As a historian she'd know that soap for clothes washing is relatively modern. In fact, they didn't use hot water either - which came in with soap. They packed clothes in a container called a "buck" and used lye - leached wood ash and then plenty of cold water.

William Shakespeare Language and Dictionary

(See the Merry Wives of Windsor Act 3, scene 3: Falstaff is hiding in the buck.)

I just googled Ruth's name up with "clothing" to see if I could find anything online. I found an article by her advising not to use a tumble-dyer. Quite interesting:

Why you should ditch the tumble dryer

... But there are still two very good practical reasons for hanging on to your washing line, in addition to the ecological argument about energy use, not to mention that unbeatable feel and scent of line-dried clothes. Sunlight bleaches beautifully, if you would like the whitest of whites then there is nothing so effective as hanging them out in the sun. But the strongest practical argument for a washing line comes from the anti-bacterial effect of sunlight: UV light kills the bacteria that may survive a cool wash, both those that might have a health impact and those that cause clothes to smell.
    Why you should ditch the tumble dryer and use your washing line | Ruth Goodman | Comment is free | The Guardian

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I have lately been considering ditching the dryer, since I've bought a house with an actual back yard. Unfortunately the dog more or less belongs to the dogs, and I'd have to go actually setting up a clothes line.

M.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    it's the motion of the washing machine that actually gets clothes clean. you don't really need soap or even hot water. i use a drop of soap for underwear, socks and work-out clothes and air-dry lots of stuff, but we don't have a yard so i can't use a clothes-line.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    it's the motion of the washing machine that actually gets clothes clean. you don't really need soap or even hot water. i use a drop of soap for underwear, socks and work-out clothes and air-dry lots of stuff, but we don't have a yard so i can't use a clothes-line.
    I wash all my clothes together I dont create a ton of laundry (since I live by myself) but I still like to do it once a week in order to have clean sheets, and undergarments. I do wash sheets and bedding separate though.

I am very hygienic and shower daily, etc but....The only things I was concerned about is washing my under garments with all my clothes without using detergent...
    You know because of "Poop Particles" and what not that "could" be on there...lol

Is there any dangers of washing my undergarments with my other clothing without using soap? Or is this just stupid to worry about?

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    it's most efficient to wash clothes of similar heft together. iow, don't wash panties with jeans. does that help?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast