Thread: New to primal and loving it! page

ThePlaqueKnight is offline Junior Member

New to primal and loving it!

Shop Now
    Hello all coming from the Atlanta Area! I am a dual major (Biopsychology/Biology) 28 year old college student who is new to Primal (been doing it about a month now, just recently going 100%). I am also a prospective Dental student (if the name didn't give it away) hoping to start in 2017. I have got to say that so far, the lifestyle changes have been GREAT!! I do have adrenal fatigue so some of the things I cannot do until I fully recover (no intermediate fasting or intense workout sessions until I heal) but I have started being able to do a fairly intense full body workout using the primal movements mentioned in the book (very sore today). The hardest part I am finding is balancing my meals, and I have been using MyFitnessPal to track everything. The awesome part is (for those who haven't used it lately) is that MyFitnessPal now allows you to adjust your macronutrient percentages by increments of 5 (I have it set to 25% carbs, 25% protein and 50% fat which essentially meets all my requirements) and go over a little of the goal to adjust for the differences. I also try to do an hour of walking a day (it is a great stress reliever and a great way to enjoy nature)! I have found that keeping a food diary 1) allows me to limit carbs, my hardest challenge and 2) I can keep an accurate log of where I stand in the day, allowing me to plan the day around my meals and thus meeting the goals easier without having to guess. This diet has made a huge impact on my recovery process with adrenal fatigue and has made managing my weight much easier (I am even losing fat without feeling like crap!). With adrenal fatigue, the slightest bit of sugar can put you well on your way to a relapse back to dizziness, extreme fatigue, muscle twitches, and in the most severe cases, panic attacks. Since starting, I have found that my blood sugar remains fairly stable with the occasional hypoglycemia (much better than the carb heavy diet I was eating before). I look forward to my future achievements!

My goals:
    1) Manifest a more positive attitude and outlook on life (I am getting better at it everyday). I am still breaking the habitual grumpiness I get when I can't squeeze in my exercise (a response due to the years upon years of strenuous exercise being the "key" to losing weight) but I am finding that the lifestyle (parallel with my philosophical beliefs) is really making a difference on my mood and igniting a more positive self.

2) I am a prospective Dental student (as mentioned above) and I would love to be the next Dr. Weston Price, educating the public about a proper diet built around what our bodies (and genes) were programmed to eat. This lifestyle is very in tune with what I believe and my philosophies of life, especially when it comes to eating certified humane, sustainable meats that aren't riddled with stress hormones, etc. I consider human beings the "caretakers" of this beautiful planet and as such, we have a responsibility to care for it.

3) I love the science behind the Primal Blueprint lifestyle. Being a huge fan of science and spiritually "in tune" with nature and the universe (I would consider myself a naturalist/philosopher if anything), I absolutely agree with living a life as close to our ancestral past as possible. It is hard with all of today's stresses but definitely doable (the modern lifestyle is what got me adrenal fatigue in the first place!). My goal above all else is to enjoy my lifestyle and so far I love it!!
    Last edited by ThePlaqueKnight; 05-27-2015 at 09:31 AM.

PoisonIvy is offline Senior Member
    Ooo a newbie like me!

My fitness pal is great isn't it. My only qualm is that its calculation of fibre is off.

You sound determined & driven. I hope to read about your endeavours some more.

Absolutely! I didn't think the fiber was that off, but I have met/exceeded it everyday thus far! Since my start I have lost 10 pounds (this is in a matter of 2-3 weeks) and it is really starting to show. My moods have been fluctuating up until recently when I think I just really got over the "keto flu" as many call it - wasn't bad since I still average 75-125g of carbs a day, but I think it has a lot to do with my Adrenal Fatigue. For the first time in years, I actually forgot to eat dinner Saturday night so I ended up chowing down around 10 pm (having Adrenal problems, I have read from many sources you should not skip meals). I actually remembered after I noticed I started feeling a tad bit weak and hungry. Last night was the first night in weeks I got very deep sleep (the night before I couldn't sleep until 12am and only slept until 5:30am), but I normally awake to a full bladder which prompts me to get up anyway. I know this is a problem for AF so I have been eating more pink Him. salt to counteract this (which I should be doing anyway), so far it is working alright, pushing back the time I normally have to get up to go to the bathroom about an hour (that is, if my cats don't beat my bladder to it). This is the main problem I have been having in regards to getting adequate sleep. I have actually cut the ebooks out at night and resorted to regular books for the sake of eliminating all the blue light (even though my tablet has a blue light filter). It can be difficult since my fiancée likes to stay up and watch TV in the other room, but I have made it a habit to retreat to the bedroom around 9:30 every night to read and wind down. She is not into trying this new lifestyle change and actually being a dietetic student, was once concerned with the carbohydrate cut until she started seeing that I was happier and it wasn't going to kill me c(:.

I am very excited to be trying some new "cuts" of meat that I get to pick up Thursday (Beef Heart and Lamb Liver); I wasn't a HUGE fan of chicken liver but I have been reading that lamb liver is arguably more mild. Went hiking for about an hour Saturday and Sunday and it was AWESOME! Getting out in fresh air and nature and being surrounded by the wildlife is so relaxing! I have also started reading Dale Carnegie's "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" as I tend to be the person who is always looking to the future with worry rather than slowing down and starting with the day (I guess I get a bit ahead of myself). Embracing this lifestyle has been a lot of fun and is definitely molding me into a better person (happier, more compassionate, etc).

Learn More
    An update:

After 3 weeks of doing this diet, I have lost 14 pounds and counting! Still have not had a Adrenal crash and actually finding it abit easier to not go over the 100g carb maximum. Been hiking/walking 4-5 times a week for an hour-hour and a half which I think adds to the success I have had with this diet. I will be cooking my first lamb liver this evening, where I am planning on putting a coating of coconut flour/italian spices and trying to attempting to do a Parmesan-type flavor. I will also be slow-cooking my first pound of beef heart this afternoon. Very excited to give these 2 a try!