Thread: Siggi vs Fage page

Primal Husker is offline Senior Member

Siggi vs Fage

Shop Now
    Looking at two low sugar yogurt options. Wondering what everyone thinks.

Both are plain.

Siggi 23 g protein 6 g sugar 0 fat.
    Fage 23 g protein 9 g sugar 4.5 fat

I like the fat content in the Fage but hate the sugar. While Siggi has no fat I have other fat sources.

What does everyone think.

For discussion purposes skipping on them is not allowed. Thanks!

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I take the siggi version because it has less sugar also; then I whip in two raw eggs, add two gram of sucralose and fill up with milk so it makes a pint of tasty yoghurt-milk drink...
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    3g of carb per serving is pretty negligible. I would just eat whichever tastes better to you.

If it's the plain Fage, then it's not added sugar, just what is naturally in the milk that goes into the yogurt. Either way, not something I'd worry about.

Vainamoinen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Husker View Post
    Looking at two low sugar yogurt options. Wondering what everyone thinks.

Both are plain.

Siggi 23 g protein 6 g sugar 0 fat.
    Fage 23 g protein 9 g sugar 4.5 fat

I like the fat content in the Fage but hate the sugar. While Siggi has no fat I have other fat sources.

For discussion purposes skipping on them is not allowed. Thanks!
    Yeah, I don't think FAGE adds sugar - at least not to what's exported to the UK. That must be lactose.

I don't know the other brand Ah, I see, this is skyr:

siggi’s, Icelandic-style yogurt: skyr — Plain skyr

Same applies.

I've only ever bought full-fat FAGE. (I generally don't buy it now, because I prefer to stick to organic dairy products. I think that's safer.) The full-fat FAGE we have in the UK is, as I recall, made from strained goats and sheeps milk. It's fairly high in fat, being strained and all, but surprisingly quite whitish in colour. (That could be down to the goats: they're browsers not grazers.)

However, the 0% FAGE seems to be made from cow's milk:

Pasteurised Skimmed Cows' Milk, Live Active Yoghurt Cultures (L. Bulgaricus, S. The - thermophilus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus, L. Casei).
    Total 0% 170g High Protein Greek Yoghurt | FAGE UK

Since we're on ingredients, here's the Skyr:

Ingredients
    Pasteurized Skim Milk, Live Active Cultures
    Live Cultures
    B. lactis, L. acidophilus, L. delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus, L. delbrueckii subsp. lactis, S. thermophilus
    - See more at: siggi’s, Icelandic-style yogurt: skyr — Plain skyr
    I don't know what the standards of dairying in Greece are generally like - grass-feeding or not, level of use of antibiotics, hormones, and so on - nor what they are wherever the Siggi is made (is it imported or made in the U.S. from American milk?) These are questions that matter to me, so that's why I generally look for organic yoghurt.

The Siggi website does state:

We only use milk from farmers who do not use growth hormones such as rBGH. - See more at: siggi’s, Icelandic-style yogurt: skyr — Plain skyr
    That could be a factor to consider. Doesn't mean the other people don't do the same, but at least Siggi are telling you they don't.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Depending on how much yogurt you eat, either looks fine. I'd look to the ingredients label to see if there are additives (including added sugar).
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    Siggi's tastes much better IMO...

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Fage full fat...I don't pay more money for good fat to be taken away! It's ludicrous I say. It's literally paying more for less!

Vainamoinen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Husker View Post

IMO, if that's the choice, get the Siggi. But better: look for organic.

I looked at both websites, as I said above. Neither has added sugar: the figures you gave match exactly with the figures given on both websites for products that do NOT show any ingredients other than milk and cultures. (Siggi also offers flavoured yoghurts, which are sweetened: but the plain is not.)

Something was nagging at the back of mind which is one of the reasons I mentioned organic. I know now what it is: GMOs. There are questions around how much of the animal feed in Greece is GMO. This is an issue - because even if GMOs in and of themselves are OK, they've likely been dosed with Roundup.

You may recall this news:

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...134-8/abstract

As regards yoghurt, see here:

GMO Yogurt: How does your favorite brand stack up? - GMO Inside

Information summarised in a table there. The FAGE does not have growth hormone, but they think it "likely" comes from cows fed GMO feed. "Likely" is a bit vague. Presumably the company was evasive when questioned.

I found the Siggi website's statements about their ethos and story believable - subjective: your milage may vary. FWIW, here it is:

siggi’s, Icelandic-style yogurt: skyr — Timeline

They do say the milk comes from "family farms" - though they don't say it's either grassed or organic. So it won't be. (You could email them and ask about GMOs, if that concerns you.) And the lady in post #6 says it tastes better - if it's not the difference in the cultures doing that, that could indicate better-quality milk.

But I would see if you can find Wallaby or Straus Creamery. Also listed in table:

GMO Yogurt: How does your favorite brand stack up? - GMO Inside

Another source I found also recommends those two:

Greek Yogurt: Which Whey To Go? | Grass Fed Girl

vabelle35 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I eat Siggi as is with fruit and I cook with Fage.

I bought a grass fed, cream on top brand a few weeks ago when Wegmans was out of the small containers. It about knocked me over when I opened it. It was okay for cooking, but it has a very strong earthy (think cow manure) fragrance to it that would be hard to eat out of the container.
    Last edited by vabelle35; 05-25-2015 at 12:34 PM.