Thread: Malcolm Kendrick again: slam dunk page

Vainamoinen is offline Senior Member

Malcolm Kendrick again: slam dunk

Shop Now
    Now, if you are unable to find an association between cholesterol levels and stroke in seven point three million years of observation then, you know what, it just ainít there.
    The dog that did not bark in the night | Dr. Malcolm Kendrick

The Daily Express? Might be useful in the smallest room if you ran out of paper.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Although his main target seems to be statins and anti-cholesterol rantings of medical journals, that book touted on the right side of the blog -Doctoring Data: is hailed as a revelation to those seeking clarity among the various research papers. It gives insight on what the researchers actually proved -or not - and how to interpret statistics. I may yet squeeze the lucre out of my budget to buy it , just to be able to say to certain drugpushers - told ya so!

Vainamoinen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, his latest book seems to be going down well in Ancestral Health and beyond.

I only read it recently. I didn't come out of the book the same person I went in. Among other things after you read the book you realise you've been shown - in devastatingly detail - that quite a lot of what doctors do is based on the flimsiest science. It's not just people playing often quite elaborate statistical games with data in order to mislead - and many (probably most) doctors swallowing "conclusions" hook, line and sinker - it's so much more. I could hardly begin to state it here.

There's the "bed rest" advice for example. (It used to be advised for a certain condition for which it shouldn't have been.) Never was any basis for the advice. And no one was doing any deliberate "doctoring of data" there, no one had anything to gain. It's interesting purely as an example of how a practice or treatment can get embedded in doctors' lore with absolutely no basis behind it at all - and do real harm.

He seems to think that researchers don't usually go so far as to fake data - although this is something we really don't know. But increasingly if it doesn't show what they want, they use statistics until it can seem to mean what it doesn't. There are some obvious tricks that he's explained in interviews, such as using relative risk as opposed to absolute risk. He's worth listening to. Here's an interview:

Doctoring Data with Dr. Malcolm Kendrick - Smash The Fat Fitness & Fat Loss Boot Camps

Another one is making statements about the risk of death from X, where X is heart disease or prostate cancer or whatever. He says this should immediately ring a warning bell. As he point out, you don't want to die before your time: what you die from is not really the issue. If a treatment does not reduce all-cause mortality maybe it's a treatment you want to be wary of. You need to ask yourself, "Why are they saying that?" and immediately be suspicious.

He points out, amusingly, that he could do a study where he pushed people off a cliff, and at the end of it say: "100% of the people in the study who were subject to the intervention did not die of cancer."

Another tool the pharmaceutical companies have at their disposal is simply not publishing data. So they probably only ever publish what they think is relatively good for them, and if so much that they think that of requires a heck lot of massaging before it looks good, well ... There was apparently a case where someone revealed later that they'd dropped all the data from a study down a disused mineshaft.

Reading the book is a little like wandering in a nightmare world - like something out of Kafka perhaps. And at the same time you realise this is our own world, and you're being shown what our own world is actually like - seen under one aspect.

It sounds disturbing, but I actually found it quite bracing. When you know the worst, at least you're better informed.