Thread: ketogenic diet page

Michigan is offline Junior Member

ketogenic diet

Shop Now
    Hello, I apologize if this has been asked in the past.

I just finished the primal blue print book. After finishing the book I stumbled upon the ketogenic diet. Mark stated that under 50 grams of carbs a day you put yourself in a keto state. A lot of the research I have found states that fruits and a higher protein intake can take you right out of that keto state regardless of if you are still in the proper carb range.

Any advice on fruit intake and protein intake to stay in that keto state? I am by no means overweight, I am actually trying to put on more muscle and reduce some bodyfat. I mainly started this way of living in hopes to get rid of my adult acne... which has plagued me now for 4 years.

As for my fruit and protein intake go, I have been taking in some sort of protein source with every meal. Fruit I have been doing with my smoothies, usually it'll be berries of some sort.

Anywats, sorry for the ranting. Those who are familiar with staying in Keto state, what advice do you have for me?

P.S. I haven't been counting any of my macros but I can tell you I eat 3-4 eggs a day, a piece of chicken breast, two protein shakes which come out to = 40 grams of protein total, and then either some red meat or seafood.

Thanks guys!

Elliot is offline Senior Member
    What led you to try keto as a solution for acne?

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    ketogenic is very low carb and unless you are using it to control seizures, generally isn't necessary. if you want to be lc, or even in ketosis, i suggest tracking your food for awhile so you get actual numbers for what you consume.

the acne may be an intolerance to something like dairy. have you tried any elimination protocols?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I imagine it may be hard to achieve your stated goal of adding more muscle mass while keto. Not impossible...just likely more difficult.

Michigan is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
    What led you to try keto as a solution for acne?
    Reading forums on other websites. I've read that others have had success with this type of diet in regards to acne.

I have tried elimination diets in the past, no dairy/grains but it was never long enough.

I have been primal now for almost 2 weeks. My only source of dairy is from grass fed butter (Kerry gold) and Mark's whey protein. Perhaps I should forgo the whey and butter once I finish them? I do love the taste of that whey though

Thanks for your help

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    anecdotally, i have seen plenty on here who have trouble with whey.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

ombilaogha is offline Junior Member
    I imagine it may be hard to achieve your stated goal of adding more muscle mass while keto.

PoisonIvy is offline Member
    When I dabbled with ketosis I had no trouble building muscle while shredding fat. Not an easy state to stay in though, very strict.

I love this You Tuber. I thought she was crazy at first but she has a lot of experience and is very informative. You should find answers there.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmM...a0SpD9N21OiuXA
    Dang you hyperlink work...

patrick@bsd is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have no trouble building muscle but while in ketosis my strength plateaus. Most experienced people will tell you to either focus on losing weight or adding muscle. You can do both if you're not in any hurry.