Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This wild one WILL fly and soar... page

Coll is offline Senior Member

This wild one WILL fly and soar...

Shop Now
    On Sunday I turn 50 and I thought it would be a great time to start a new journal. I have been primal since February 2012 and while I have seen some improvements in my health there are other areas where I have been well and truly stuck. I am 5'7" and weigh 224 lbs. I have been grain free (aside from a couple surprise occasions where I was 'glutened' ) since I started this journey. Grains and I are not friends and I have NO temptation to partake. I lost 48 lbs initially when I went LCHF and felt great for a little while. Then my hair started falling out and I was always so tired that it was hard to function. I had a number of tests and nothing showed up. So I am trying to walk the tightrope between too many carbs and too few. If I stay at that sweet spot I seem to do okay - but my balance is not great and I tend to 'wobble' a lot and fall off the wagon quite regularly. Sweets are a constant struggle for me. If I stay off them for a while all is well, however, it takes but one morsel to send me down that terribly attractive, slippery slope again. So easy to rationalize and pretend I am in control, until I have fallen again. I have become an expert at picking myself up again and starting over.

Inside I am still an active and energetic woman, but the outside tells a different story. I am determined to find my way back to health and have my second 50 years better than the first! I dream of being lean and strong and fit again and I am going to keep that dream alive. This eagle is tired of hopping along the ground and is ready to get up in the air again.

I am working on getting my macros balanced out and am using myfitnesspal for logging my foods at the moment. I have also been getting out more and have been in the throes of digging a number of 3' x 1 1/2' holes for tree planting. I am also starting out really carefully on a rowing machine which works well for me. I have a very grumpy Achilles tendon that I have to baby along so the non weight bearing exercise is a gift for me.
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.2 lbs
    S.T. goals: 30 day reset - auto immune protocol
    Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Meant2Move is offline Senior Member
    Oh that 'slippery slope of sweets' - so hard to stay away from it. I find I do better when I am really careful to get plenty of protein, and I've also had some success with amino acid supplements. 500 MG of L-Gluatamine in the afternoon (the time when I get weak) helps me avoid cravings.

Best to you!
    M2M

"Nonspecific strength gains have to be converted into real improvements in athletic performance or they are not useful."
    - Training for the New Alpinism by Steve House and Scott Johnston

Primal Journal: Hmm, I'll take this path...

The Walrus is online now Senior Member
    Love your new title!
    My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.

- MADAME MARIE CURIE

Thanks guys! I think my lunches tend to be a bit weak on the protein side of things and that can set me up for cravings M2M - good tip. Thanks TW

I rowed for a few minutes today - a bit embarrassed to say how much since it wasn't very long. But I really don't want to overdo it - my doc told me to do what I would think is too little and then build it up. I have a tendency to do too much and then the fatigue is overpowering for a couple days afterwards. So I did all of 6.5 minutes at a low to medium pace. It certainly did feel as though it was working me and I feel absolutely fine afterwards. I am thinking of doing a few of those every day to start off and then increase it as I see I am coping. I REALLY like the rowing machine - very nice indeed! It makes such a lovely swooshing sound as I row and I feel as though I can close my eyes and be out on the river or lake again and I can almost smell and hear the associated scents and sounds. I flash back to South Africa, and am waiting to hear the Fish Eagles call, from the trees on the bank of the river that I used to paddle on. Do yourself a favour and google an African Fish Eagles call - so beautiful and wild. Interestingly, they look very similar to the Bald Eagle ... Youtube has some neat video clips...
    Last edited by Coll; 05-21-2015 at 07:55 PM.

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Today was a bit of a fail I am afraid. But, tomorrow is a new day and a new start. No exercise, felt tired all day, I ate too much too - so typical for me when I feel fatigued. The cause? A late night - got to bed just after midnight! Naughty, naughty! And it took me all day to figure out why I felt so bad. Basics!!!

Went for a little hike today - the creek was a raging torrent! We have had so much rain - dry Colorado is very soggy at the moment. I was putzing around taking photos while DH and the kids climbed the rocks and came across three little corpses of (possibly) ground squirrel babies It was rather sad seeing them all curled up as if asleep, but dead. I can only think that the momma had been killed by something and they came out of the burrows to look for food, or maybe the creek came up too high (I know it was higher the other day) and drowned them. Either way - pathetic. A sober reminder of how close we walk to the other side.

I had bacon and banana pancakes for breakfast. Lunch was an apple, cheese, a few slices of dried mango and some roasted almonds. Dinner was Applegate hotdogs and sweet potato fries ... mostly 'convenience' food today as we were out for a number of hours and I hadn't planned for a late start on dinner.

I came across some Zane Grey books on audio book and am loving listening to them!! I was pretty young when I first read his stuff and I feel as though I have jumped into a time machine when I listen to these books. I have always found his books so stirring. There is some visceral connection and I find the way he writes so very beautiful, old fashioned but delightful. A real treat for my soul

Raining - again! The ground is waterlogged and the hole I had partially dug for a tree and abandoned, is full of water.

I just looked outside while getting dinner ready and there was a mule deer buck standing a couple of yards away looking at me. I wonder how big his antlers are going to get - I think this is the guy that I see all the time. Right now he has the beginnings of a reasonable rack. Hopefully he keeps on stopping by so I can follow the progress of his adornment

We saw a critter a couple of times today while driving the back roads to and from our hike. And I can not figure out what it was. At first I thought it might be a badger - but it wasn't heavy enough. But nothing else looks right either. Most frustrating. We also had a vulture fly up in front of us which was really neat - fun to see it so close up. DH has had a number of encounters lately with raptors. He had a bald eagle fly down and take a prairie dog right in front of him about a week ago. Yesterday it was a red tail hawk that stooped right in front of him to take prey and he was able to pull over and watch it for a few moments before someone else scared it off.

Well, I'm off to bed. I had a great nights sleep last night and want to repeat the experience.

Today was great. Spoiled by my dear family We went out to lunch at a steak restaurant that I used to love going to and was very disappointed to find the food was nothing like it used to be - 'meh' for sure! I was really looking forward to that ribeye - it was dry and thin and tough and hardly any seasonings. To be fair they made an effort to get us a gluten free meal - but salt and pepper would have helped the meat. What the ??? But, lovely to spend time with my precious family. DH has had two whole days off which is a treat for all of us. Unfortunately he has to work tomorrow, but I am not going to complain - we have had two whole days without him having to run off and do something.

DSCN0098.jpg

Such a gorgeous scene from our home. This was last month after about 3 feet of very wet and heavy snow! Part of why I am so happy to see flowers and green again.

Hubby bought me a beautiful necklace with an emerald in it. Feel blessed Also got some software for editing my photos - my photography has been somewhat on hold because of not having software to process the pics. I am keen to get going on this so that, hopefully, I can start trying to sell some pics on my etsy shop.

I did 7 minutes and 1226 yards on the rowing machine today. Just trying to get on it regularly and make it a habit. The cool thing about the rowing machine is you can make it as hard or easy as you need. That thing can kick your butt if you really go for it. I can see that it will be a great sprint option once I can go that route!
    Last edited by Coll; 05-24-2015 at 08:38 PM.

So it has been a very busy week and I have not tracked my macros at all. No idea what my weight is doing - all I know is that I still fit into my pants comfortably so not super concerned about it. I have not eaten particularly well or particularly badly. Guessing I have not gone either up or down. I'll check tomorrow morning and then I'll know for sure.

Too many late nights this week, today is a new start so will get to bed at a decent time this evening. I spent some time working in the 'yard' this afternoon. Dug up a boat load of prickly pear cactus and came out unscathed! A win! I am grateful for leather gloves! Thank you cow, for sharing your lovely tough skin with me, so my soft hands don't get beat up.

I have been reorganizing my potted plants - I have to get rid of most of them as we are not supposed to even water those if they are outside. I took a friend the gooseberry and goji berry bushes yesterday and got some wonderful composted cow manure in return. I shoveled a small tub full of compost and it was REALLY heavy! I had to carry it out of the cow pen while my friend kept the cows with their long horns away from me. I had to use the wheelbarrow to get it to the vehicle and it was a buster to lift and get into the back of our vehicle! Certainly my heavy lifting day. Then I did a 5 gallon bucket - much more manageable. Of course it had rained just about 10 minutes before I loaded all this stuff, hence the difficulty! I was very happy to have a strong husband to unload it for me at home - I would have had to wait a couple of days otherwise before I could have safely lifted it out of the car. Too heavy.

Our old dog is continuing to go downhill. I don't think we are too far from her last days - poor girl does the splits with her back legs if she gets on the smooth floor. I had a brain wave today and laid a path for her across the wood floor, using the foam floor pads that we were given for the kids to play on. She seems to understand that it is for her to use and she is making full use of it. My poor old girl can't get to the top of the driveway without a rest on the way up, and if the grass is more than an inch or two long she falls because she can't bring her foot forward. Sigh, it is like torture watching her deteriorate. I am so grateful that she has no pain.

I saw a baby bunny this morning and had fun watching it chomping the clover on our driveway. I also saw a buck with its velvety antlers just outside the computer room - I wonder how many points he'll end up with. Two at the moment...

All the supplements that I am taking seem to be making a difference in my energy levels. Exciting indeed. I am sleeping well which is such a blessing. A couple nights ago hubby offered me ice cream about an hour before bed. And I caved and had some. Needless to say I was awake until about 2:30am with a pounding heart and racing mind. Hopefully I can remember this, next time he tempts me! Drinking wine in the evening does the same thing.

I am thrilled that I am taking magnesium without any side effects! So much easier to pop a couple capsules rather than putting on magnesium oil and waiting for it to soak in and then having to wash it off before I go to bed.

A lot of the houses around us belong to folk who only come up in the summer. With the warmer weather I was amazed at how much life I am hearing and seeing all around us all of a sudden. Maybe we'll be able to make some friends now that the weather is conducive to being outside again.

11138579_10206688027788594_8640167825461677112_n.jpg
    I am the one on the left - quite a few years ago. I wasn't exactly in the best shape, but MUCH better than I am now. It would be so awesome to get to this weight again!

Learn More
    Delighted to say that I lost a teeny morsel of weight this last week. Not much but any movement downwards is cause for celebration! I have been getting out more and working outside - one of my favourite things to do and that means less sitting and more moving slowly. Plus I have been getting my hands dirty which is so therapeutic for me. I am not supposed to have plants outside in planters ( actually I can, I am just not supposed to water them!) but I am just being a bit sneaky, because I NEED flowers. I potted a few geraniums and herbs yesterday and will do a few more today. Going to place the planters where they are not visible from the road, which is where the neighborhood busy bodies will be scanning from. I am trying to use water that has already been used in some way - but still 'illegal'.

My poor pup is continuing her downward spiral. Today she is walking on the top of her right rear foot every few steps and every now and again she wobbles very close to losing her balance even though on the smooth floor of the house. Deep breaths. Trying to spoil her in various ways so that I know she has had a good last few weeks. Feeling tearful about her today...

Glorious weather!! Stunning scenery and little wildflowers popping up all over!! Loving it.

So close to being done with school and I can't wait for the summer hols!! FREEDOM! No 'have to' and 'should' and 'must' hanging over my head for a wonderful stretch of time! Looking forward to taking the kids fishing and hiking and rock hounding!! But, right now I need to go and supervise two kiddos who are getting rambunctious without mom's beady eye on them.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast