Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open

Thread: A new me is on her way

A new me is on her way

Shop Now
    Ok so basically I have a health history of about 14 years and its time to get this sorted out ONCE AND FOR ALL. seriously, its been TOO long. I have had eating disorders and skin issues caused by candida, I have chronic fatigue syndrome. I now believe good health is based in the gut, and i need to do a full detox with paleo and a lot of other supplements that have been recommended to me. i have done a candida diet before, and i have been on paleo before. I can't really remember how I felt on them, but i know this is the way forward now, and i know that its not just the diet i need to do, but focus on every area of my life to get better. stress, detox, rest, whatever I can do i need to do it. so today, I am giving mum the rest of my bread. i am addicted to peanut butter, so thankfully i have ordered one without sugar (my family can finish the sugary one then we can all switch). i don't really have much of an appetite for big hot fatty meals, and i hate cooking. i am more of a snacky person. these will be my main challenges. i will also be wheat and diary free. i think i will probably live on egg salads and soy yoghurt with berries and nuts the first while till i have the energy and motivation and appetite to cook proper meals. don't get started on me about soy - you can't take everything away from me! i should mention im a 'sort of' vegetarian - i just eat fish and eggs no other meat. any support, encouragement, tips, will be greatly welcomed. what has stopped me progressing in the past has just been the level of fatigue. when i am so tired, its so much easier to just put a slice of toast in the toaster. but my health is worsening so it is time to take control. i will be starting all the supplements as soon as they arrive, i am prepared for some die off symptoms - its going to be a tough couple of weeks i am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by blue30 View Post
    i will also be ... diary free.
    No diary? Does this mean this is the last post here? ;-)

Just opinions which you can take or leave -

You say "a full detox with paleo". I'd not worry about detox. AFAIK, there are some techniques, near infra-red saunas being the most significant, that actually will help people eliminate heavy metals, etc. that really people's normal systems should be able to cope with but can't. But most of what's offered doesn't help and is a con. Anything like that is probably best put on the back burner and forgotten about for a long time. In comparison with supplying the nutrients your body needs and stopping giving it what it doesn't - feeding overgrown yeasts, for example - it's a distraction. And even if it did work, insofar as it did it would probably make you feel ill if you're not as healthy and robust just through normal diet as you could be.

"Rest and stress". Sure, absolutely. Also add sleep (as much as necessary in a properly darkened room) and caution with exposure to light after the hours of darkness.

Artificial light regulates fat mass: no bueno. | The poor, misunderstood calorie

i don't really have much of an appetite for big hot fatty meals, and i hate cooking.
    Then you probably don't want to force it. You might also have trouble digesting the healthy fats you do need, if you've been avoiding them for years.

You could take a little good-quality grass-fed beef and fry it gently in butter (or preferably ghee - clarified butter) leaving it somewhat rare. Then slice it into tiny strips and put it into some nice rich gelatinous broth you've previous heated. It helps digestion of the meat, and broth is very gut-healing.

nourishingbroth.com — Buy the Nourishing Broth book by Sally Fallon Morell and Kaayla T. Daniel PhD

You don't need to make the broth yourself if you hate cooking. You're in the UK, aren't you? Waitrose do the genuine thing from Heston:

Heston from Waitrose Beef Stock - Waitrose

i think i will probably live on egg salads and soy yoghurt with berries and nuts the first while till i have the energy and motivation and appetite to cook proper meals. don't get started on me about soy - you can't take everything away from me!
    Well, what really would you be missing? Up to you, of course, but if it impedes gut-healing and the absorption of nutrients it's doing you no favours. Real organic yoghurt from milk, dairy product or not, would be better for those aren't actually dairy-intolerant, and probably no worse even for those who are. Real food. That processed soy stuff, all inherent problems with the beans aside, has to go through processing that you just couldn't do without factories and equipment and processes that weren't even round the blink of an eye ago in time. Real yoghurt? Made for centuries with nothing more than milk and a wooden bucket that was well-impregnated with the cultures that ferment it. But maybe you're right to avoid dairy products for the time being. Everyone is different and there's no way of knowing what would suit you.

But you eat fish happily, anyway. Plenty of cold smoked mackerel, tinned sardines and salmon, and others around in the UK that don't require cooking.

You should probably supply your gut with some fermented food. If yoghurt is out - on account you want to eliminate dairy products - then you could eat some fermented vegetables. They can be a little strong-tasting, but you don't need more than a spoonful or two with a meal. If that appeals as a suggestion, look around for real live sauerkraut. (There's fakes stuff, too.) You can get it via Amazon. You can also get a host of fermented vegetable dishes via Red 23 (the kimchi is pretty good):

Probiotics & Cultured Foods, Organic Food UK

You'll see Bio-Kult probiotic pills on that same page. Those are a pretty good probiotic and may be worth trying. The GAPs lady, Dr. Campbell-McBride helped to formulate those, I believe. You can also get those via Amazon or direct from Bio-Kult:

Multi-Strain Live Bacteria Food Supplements - Bio-Kult

I hope none of that comes off badly - I know you didn't want to hear anything against soy - and that it helps.

wow this forum moves so fast i don't know how i will keep up lol. so inspired by everyone.

Vain thank you so much for your tips and taking time to reply, of course u didn't offend me, i am welcoming any input. im not going to go in to replying now to everything you said but be assured ive listened and thought about it

this is day 2. I have a cold virus, which is already making me more tired than i usually am. i feel vry shaky (probably cos due to insomnia i took a sleeping tablet which i usually never do) sorry this is such an incoherent post, but i feel very incoherent right now. the brain fog is ridiculous.

i really hope the brain fog clears. i am usually brain fogged to a good degree anyway. i am also getting headaches. the actually food is going fine, i will probably find it harder when my appetite increases after i get over this cold virus.

Day3.

I have loads of boiled eggs and a salad ready in the fridge, which makes things much easier.

Vain - you said about fermented veg - the idea doesn't appeal to my taste, but i will consider it after my health settles a bit and i feel like trying something new. in the mean time, have started making my own kefir, and i take a pro biotic.

the sauna thing - that was to be part of my detox program. ive looked them up and they are too expensive for me to buy at the minute though - and my health is not good enough yet for me to get out to a gym with a sauna. i literally cannot WAIT until i am well enough to exercise again. people who think people who have chronic illnesses are too lazy to exercise need to re-think - i would give anything to get out and have a morning exercising followed by a sauna! unfortunately, that would put me in bed for a couple of months. so i need to be patient. in the mean time, i am trying hot epsom baths to try to eliminate toxins. Its not the same. i want a sauna lol

anyhow the main thing is lack of sleep at the minute. anyone else experienced this on a new meal plan? im trying to think of anything that it could be - i do have a couple of decaf coffees in evening, but ive always had that without trouble. i take magnesium it doesn't help.

I already feel more settled - as in, the sugar anxiety as gone, if there was such a thing.

Feeling more positive that I will get my health back. I am much more concerned about health than weight right now, but my middle has got fat which I would love to get rid of. i am not overweight though.

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by blue30 View Post
    anyhow the main thing is lack of sleep at the minute. anyone else experienced this on a new meal plan? im trying to think of anything that it could be - i do have a couple of decaf coffees in evening, but ive always had that without trouble. i take magnesium it doesn't help.
    Yeah, sleep is crucial.

And, yes, circadian rhythms, and hence sleep, are affected by meal frequency and timing (and what the constituents of a meal are, too). So it's possible.

But I think the biggest thing for sleep is avoiding exposure to "blue light" as much as possible between the time the sun goes down and the time you go to bed. Explained quite nicely here:

Sleeping Away Cancer

Here's the short summary from that article:

1.Get plenty of rest (at the very minimum seven hours).
    2.Turn off any computers or televisions an hour or more before bed.
    3.Remove any sources of blue or white lights in your bedroom, and if you must replace them, use orange/red sources much like the flame that the caveman once used to light his bedroom.
    4.If you absolutely must have an alarm clock, do not get one with blue or green lighting.
    5.Turn your cell phone off, throw it away, or put it in another room.
    6.Seal off your windows with some heavy drapes to make your bedroom as cave-like as possible.
    7.If you use a cpap at night due to weight-induced sleep apnea, maybe it’s time to burn that fat and ditch the humming machine all night that may be turning off your pineal gland (although, this is clearly not always possible).
    8.Avoid alcohol before bed as it may reduce melatonin secretion.