Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Makarios' road to health & some chiseled abs couldn't hurt - journal page

Makarios is offline Junior Member

Makarios' road to health & some chiseled abs couldn't hurt - journal

Shop Now
    Hello fellow MDA readers! I came across MDA a few times when I first made the switch but didn't really start reading until about a month ago. MDA has been helpful especially the freebies & have found many of the member stories/comments very inspiring.

In a nutshell:
    As a kid, if all I had for dinner was beans, flour tortillas, & cheese then I was a happy camper. As I got into adolescence I made horrible food choices and had a mostly sedentary lifestyle. I always struggled with my weight and as a result my self image. My weight peaked about age 18 at around 145-150 lbs. which is a lot for my short stature. I was diagnosed with depression around the same time which I now believe is actually a symptom of an autoimmune disease. Since then I lost the weight & have fluctuated between 125-135 lbs. In 2006 I had a traumatic experience that spiraled me into a deep depression & my weight plummeted to 110 lbs. in about a month. I regained the weight after working through my depression & continued to yoyo in the 120-130 range. In 2008 I had a brilliant professor for an anthropology class on human biologic evolution where I first learned about the paleo lifestyle but sadly I didn't have the motivation to put it into practice then. Fast fwd to 2014, the stress of maintaining a fairly new marriage, homestead, & school while trying to ignore the evident signs my body was screaming at me for help was too much. I couldn't handle it anymore. Something had to change or I felt it would be the end of me. SO I CHANGED!

I'm 3 days shy of my 7th primal living month-iversary & certain I could never go back to SAD. So far I'm very happy with the progress I've made. It's now mainly about ongoing customizing in order to maximize the benefits of a primal lifestyle that works best for me so that I don't settle into a plateau. I lost all my weight during the first 3 months with diet alone. My workouts began about 10-12 weeks ago. I started out with Tracy Anderson type workouts 3x/wk & switched to MDA type fitness about a month ago...

Details:
    height: 5'3"
    Starting weight: 126
    Current weight: 110

Fitness:
    Lift: 2 days/wk-30min (squat, plank, pushup)
    Sprint: 1 day/wk
    Walk: 1 day/wk-1hr

Current daily supplements:
    1 tsp cod liver/vitamin oil
    500 mg primrose oil
    800 mcg folate (will discontinue)

Typical weekday meals:
    B: 1 1/2 to 2 cups green veggie smoothie, 2 boiled eggs, 1 T coconut oil
    L: 3/4 cup of leftover roasted veggie medley, 2 fried eggs, on bed of fresh arugula, avocado or a big sardine salad
    D: 1/2 cup roasted/steamed veggies, fresh mixed greens salad w lemon/vinegar/evoo dressing & avocado, & 2 to 4 oz protein (pork, salmon, ground beef), 1 T coconut oil
    Undesired evening snack: fruit, banana chips, cashews, homemade paleo pastries...it's usually whatever is available!

Other Meals/Foods:
    I will often substitute a meal with a bowl of homemade bone broth with egg drop, fresh chopped parsley or cilantro. I try to drink water throughout the day but I find it difficult to do. I switch between making my own beet kvass & sauerkraut so I usually have some sort of fermented food several times a wk. My weekends vary significantly since I'm usually busy with errands and outings. I tend to have only 2 meals on weekends... late breakfast, late dinner & eat out about 1 to 2x/month. I occasionally skip lunch and breakfast a couple of times.

Long Term Goals:
    Consistent sleep
    Hormone balance, all of them
    Kick the sugar cravings for good
    Consistent energy/level mood
    Increase strength/endurance
    Motivate my hubby to join me on the fitness side
    Get official diagnosis (autoimmune)

Tweaks & short term Goals:
    Supplement: Try B12, & transdermal magnesium chloride

Fitness: Increase sprint time (its a joke right now)
    Add a 3rd day of lift
    Increase lift time to 60min.
    Add 1 day for hikes 2-3 hours
    Find somewhere to do pull-ups for free

Diet: Cut back on fruit
    Drink more water

Other: Work on steady sleep/wake schedule
    Nurse my adrenals

That's about it. If any other ladies are having similar struggles please feel free to let me know what has worked for you. Thanks for reading & have a great day!

Since I'm really trying to take this exercise stuff seriously I thought keeping track of a few more details will help me stay accountable.

Body fat using online calculators:
    20% - 23%

Today's food stats:
    calories: 1437
    fiber: 22g
    protein: 14%/52g
    fat: 61%/101g
    carbs: 26%/97g

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Sounds like you're doing really well! Keep up the good work!

Thanks, yodiewan! Fitness has been the most difficult to keep up but I remain realistic.

JIUjitsuJOE is offline Member
    Keep your eye in the prize....

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    Welcome! Looks like you're pretty lean already, just getting them abs in check!

Quote Originally Posted by JIUjitsuJOE View Post
    Keep your eye in the prize....
    Indeed, JiujitsuJoe!

Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    Welcome! Looks like you're pretty lean already, just getting them abs in check!
    Thanks, TQP! I was fortunate to lose much weight early on, now I'm aiming for health, any muscle definition is a bonus. Hope I can keep up with all the pros here.

JIUjitsuJOE is offline Member
    I train hard everyday twice a day and iam faster stronger ,and my cardio is at the best it has ever been.ever since I changed my diet and my abs are just a bonus but the power is in our food that we put into our bodies and that's a fact GROK FOR LIFE!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

tgojinhs is offline Junior Member
    Fitness has been the most difficult to keep up but I remain realistic.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Way to go on all your improvement, Joe!

*Update

I've been skimming through some old forum posts that pertain to the autoimmune issues I have. It gives me hope that many have found much relief just by going paleo/primal. At the same time it's scary to read that others still have to resort to RX drugs which I've never been a fan of even before primal I avoided the doctor at all costs. There are so many suggestions that it can be overwhelming to determine what to pursue/filter out. I'll be reading up on Dr. Kharrazian who wrote: Why do I still have thyroid symptoms? & hope to buy his book soon. I think the book will be very helpful for me in dealing with a conventional endocrinologist once I find one.

Since my last post I gave into some food cravings: ice-cream, wine (not on the same day). When the wine ran out I remembered we still had a bottle of vodka & had a few drinks of that too. Yea, I know mixing was not fun the next day! These cravings coincide with my crappy moods so I'm not to hard on myself when I finally give in & usually I get right back to primal the next day.

Workouts have been interesting. I only got 1 lift day in (but it was a good one) & 2 six+ mile hikes over the long holiday weekend. The second hike had some boulder hopping (my favorite) & my arms were a bit sore the next day. I need more trails like this close by! I'm still recuperating from the hikes but I'll be getting some exercise today in the form of finishing up laundry/cleaning house/batch cooking & I should feel up for another lift day tomorrow. As for the sprinting, this weekend will have to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast