Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the difference between this diet and atkins??? page

Mizz Hawaii is offline Senior Member

What's the difference between this diet and atkins???

Several years ago I lost 20#'s in less than 3 months doing the atkins diet. Eating foods like eggs bacon and cheese for breakfast hamburgers with cheese and bacon no bun for lunch and ribs no bbq sauce, garlic peel n eat shrimp for dinner and cheese cheese cheese. I tried it again several times but it didnt work and I feel constipated and just disgusting eating all that fat. Also if I have a bad day I think great I just ate all that high fat food AND carbs. I've lost 10#'s by doing the paleo diet a couple of months ago and took a break and maintained my weight. Now I'm ready to lose another 15#'s. So I'm going to try this primal plan . Paleo was more strict allowing only lean meats no dairy or butter and small amounts of nuts and avocado. This diet seems more like the Atkins diet to me. So what is the difference?

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    This "diet" will have you strive to do every single thing to make you healthier, within reason. It's not about losing body fat but about becoming as healthy as you can be and losing body fat as a consequence. It isn't even necessarily low carb (well it's lower than 150g for the most part, but that's hard to do without refined carbs), it depends on the person. Read the blog and Mark's book and compare them to Atkins. There are some similarities which happens the be the case when two people stumble upon a good idea, but the approaches are totally different. Mark isn't only about diet either. He will do anything at all to become healthier. Sleep, exercise, lifestyle, etc.

Diet-wise primal is paleo with optional dairy products and more fat. And Cordain seems to be down on nightshade vegetables where Mark sees it as more ambiguous.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

tarek is offline Senior Member
    The Primal Blueprint diet is a lot more lenient when it comes to carbohydrates. You can basically eat as many carbohydrates as your body requests, but they ought to come from primal sources, ideally vegetables, nuts, and fruits. Grains are not allowed for except on occasion.

From what I've gathered about Atkins, that type of diet is more focused on the general idea of eating low amounts of carbohydrate matter and less focused on the specific foods you're eating. For example, eating a conventionally-raised steak fried in canola oil might be low in carbohydrates (and therefore acceptable on the Atkins diet), but it's also going to be high in rancid fats, growth hormones, antibiotics, pesticide residues, imbalanced omega-6 to omega-3 ratios, and so on and so forth. Look at the ingredients for this Atkins protein bar:

Yes, it's low-carbohydrate, but it's loaded with processed, artificial garbage. The Primal Blueprint is concerned with specifics -- eating the RIGHT carbohydrates, the RIGHT proteins, and the RIGHT fats. Atkins is concerned with eating less carbohydrates (from my understanding, that is -- I haven't researched the Atkins diet too much. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me!).
    Last edited by tarek; 07-16-2010 at 09:29 AM.

Stevoreo is offline Senior Member
    well said!!!

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    I just have to say, Atkins products drive me nuts. The Atkins diet, by the book, is a perfectly reasonable fooditarian diet. Then they had to come up with this packaged crap and confuse everyone! Argh!

One difference: On Atkins maintenance I believe there's no particular stigma on grains and legumes -- it's all about the carb count. Whereas on PB, more consideration is given to the type of food the carbs come from, and what else is lurking in those foods.

Also, I found Atkins to be very much "all-or-nothing" -- if I fell off the wagon it was very hard to get back on. PB has some built-in slack.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Dannielle is offline Senior Member
    Personally I find them to be very similar, at least in how I interpreted Atkins (lots of veggies, good protein, good fats, occasional low GI fruits...I avoided processed stuff and grains/legumes for the most part). Basically my processed or grain/legume indulgences would have easily qualified as my PB 20%.

Granted, induction is very limiting. But if you don't stay at induction level, and don't go for all the processed/packaged convenience junk, there are a lot of similarities. Especially if you factor in that Atkins does the whole "net carbs" thing. If you add the fiber carbs back in during OWL (ongoing weight loss) you'll likely end up in PB's sweet spot of 50-100g carbs per day.

PB absolutely puts more emphasis on the fresh and pure foods (organics, grass fed meats, etc) but you can certainly eat clean food while doing Atkins.

I think there is a place where all good ways of eating overlap.
    Last edited by Dannielle; 07-16-2010 at 08:51 AM.

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    Wow when I was on Atkins I ate tons of stuff I wouldn't eat now! Fried Chicken wings were a staple on my Atkins diet now it might be a baked free-range chicken with skin. I was eating a lot more high-fat dairy on Atkins then I do now. I remember chowing down on jars of peanuts but now I hardly have any nuts.

I've heard other people say this is like an "organic" Atkins plus a couple other food groups you might want to cut out for better results.

My Sunday routine now is to carb refeed and work out. On Atkins, especially during induction I think such a thing wouldn't have been recommended.

I'm very happy I decided to do Atkins 6 yrs ago and lost 30lbs doing it - FAST. I've been keeping kinda sorta low carb ever since then but realized I was eating the wrong things which led about 10-15lbs of it to creep back now and then. I find PB to be a really nice balance and can splurge in carbs before working out, and working out has been paying off.

Working out in induction in Atkins was painful for me and I was getting thin but I think lacking muscle which I have more of now with PB.

Dannielle is offline Senior Member
    yeah, I think it really depends on how you interpret Atkins. There's a lot of leeway there. I lost quite a bit of weight following Atkins. But I also gravitated toward veggies, fresh meats, etc. I never ate fried chicken wings (not a fan of them). I never liked any of the Atkins brand products I tried, and they're expensive, so I stuck to real food.

For me there was very little difference. I'm more particular about sources of fat now. If it was in my budget I'd be more particular about sources of meat/veggies. I no longer have the occasional low carb tortilla or serving of corn or quinoa or black beans. But those things were rare for me anyway. I don't miss them at all.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    This "diet" will have you strive to do every single thing to make you healthier, within reason. It's not about losing body fat but about becoming as healthy as you can be and losing body fat as a consequence. It isn't even necessarily low carb (well it's lower than 150g for the most part, but that's hard to do without refined carbs), it depends on the person. Read the blog and Mark's book and compare them to Atkins. There are some similarities which happens the be the case when two people stumble upon a good idea, but the approaches are totally different. Mark isn't only about diet either. He will do anything at all to become healthier. Sleep, exercise, lifestyle, etc.

Diet-wise primal is paleo with optional dairy products and more fat. And Cordain seems to be down on nightshade vegetables where Mark sees it as more ambiguous.
    You said it perfectly Stabby... and you seem to always do that.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Minnas is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Having come from over decade of Atkins I see PB as a subset so-to-speak. I can do PB and still be considered to be doing Atkins. The reverse, of course, would not be true. I agree that it seems the PB is a more refined Atkins diet with focus on healthier options based on what we know about certain foods and how they effect the body beyond the carbohydrate impact.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast