Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miracle Noodles page

craigery is offline Junior Member

Miracle Noodles

So I'm new to the paleo diet, but not to general health & fitness, and had heard about these noodles through mens fitness. I haven't read the blueprint yet (its in the mail) and was wondering if these noodles fit the guidelines.

Here's a link to their website:

http://www.miraclenoodle.com/index.html

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Shirataki noodles have a rubber texture and are a potent diuretic. But I am pretty sure the ones with no tofu are primal (konjac root?), very low carb, and worth experimenting with. Check the Asian section of your grocery or any Asian market.

I used to eat at a sushi bar that served them in a beef broth with thin sliced onions and bean sprouts. They weren't bad, but they weren't great and they weren't primal.

Ernst is offline Member
    Yeah. I think Shirataki noodles are absolutely fine from what I've read. I personally don't use them as I haven't went out and bought any yet. But I'm sure I will soon.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Sayyyy.... That gives me an idea: What if you were to take a veggie peeler to a portabella and create "noodles" from that? I'm gonna hafta try this idea.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

pantrybites is offline Member
    Shirataki noodles have a funny smell so be sure to drain and rinse well. I've cooked with it a few times and it works well. But it's not something I would use regularly as something about that fishy smell is a bit off putting.

www.pantrybites.com
    Real Good Primal Food

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    calorie free??? it ain't food then.
    I just tried the kelp noodles mentioned on the blog post about sea veg. LOVE them!

Minnas is offline Junior Member
    Shirataki noodles are fabulous (miracle noodles are just a brand of) I use them often usually with a curry or other Asian-type dish. I find that preparation is the key. I rinse then dry in a hot, dry pan for quite a while (20+ minutes) so that they render a good bit of liquid. When they stop giving off liquid and start to shrivel they are done. This changes the texture from rubberband-like to something more pleasing. I cut them up with scissors and then top with whatever.

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnas View Post
    Shirataki noodles are fabulous (miracle noodles are just a brand of) I use them often usually with a curry or other Asian-type dish. I find that preparation is the key. I rinse then dry in a hot, dry pan for quite a while (20+ minutes) so that they render a good bit of liquid. When they stop giving off liquid and start to shrivel they are done. This changes the texture from rubberband-like to something more pleasing. I cut them up with scissors and then top with whatever.

Minna - can you explain? Not sure what you mean by the "hot, dry" pan -- how does that work without burning them?

I used to eat shirataki noodles about once a month before I started eating primal -- I always rinsed them in a colander and then "cooked" them for just about 3 min or so in boiling water -- totally took the smell away. I always ate them with veggies and an asian peanut sauce -- soy sauce, peanut butter, lime juice, garlic, ginger. I loved them prepared this way, but I've been staying away from peanut butter (also soy sauce), but I'd love to try them again with some other type of sauce. They could be helpful when I am craving pasta!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    ive tried them....spent the next morning on the toilet....they are nutritionally void of anything whatsoever...

get a veggie julienner and use zucchini, mushrooms etc and the tast it much better. or spaghetti squash, it is worth the carbs in taste and better digestion

Minnas is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Angieh View Post
    Minna - can you explain? Not sure what you mean by the "hot, dry" pan -- how does that work without burning them?

I used to eat shirataki noodles about once a month before I started eating primal -- I always rinsed them in a colander and then "cooked" them for just about 3 min or so in boiling water -- totally took the smell away. I always ate them with veggies and an asian peanut sauce -- soy sauce, peanut butter, lime juice, garlic, ginger. I loved them prepared this way, but I've been staying away from peanut butter (also soy sauce), but I'd love to try them again with some other type of sauce. They could be helpful when I am craving pasta!
    No, they will not burn. If you left them for maybe an hour they would shrivel up and dry to a crisp I think but it would take a very long time for them to burn. Hours I think. These are mostly water and fiber. Getting rid of some of the water helps the texture IMO anyway. You will see if you try this how much water they give off. Best to drain the pan after the water builds up as this shortens the time needed to get them ready.

I agree with you on the peanut sauce. Haven't found anything better for these babies but am trying to stay off the peanuts now so will save it for treats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast