Thread: Boursin Creamed Spinach... AMAZING page

Cosima is offline Senior Member

Thumbs up Boursin Creamed Spinach... AMAZING

Okay, I'm new to PB so while I'm 100% onboard and I've read the book and scoured the forums, I'm very limited in what I can bring to the forum.

Which sucks. I love forums.

And then I remembered! I cook! A lot! All the time! I can share what I cook!

Here's my absolute favorite recipe ever for creamed spinach. You know your favorite steak restaurant? The high end one where everything is a la carte and a side of creamed spinach is like $12? And you order it because you think, "Hey, that's a lot of cash but I bet it's amazing!" But turns out it's not amazing at all and then you get the bill and it's like three hundred dollars and suddenly you want to shoot the creamed spinach right in its green creamy face?

Yeah. This is the creamed spinach you wish that was.

Hope I'm not overselling.

Boursin Creamed Spinach

1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
    3 T. Fat (I use half butter and half bacon fat)
    2 T. Almond flour
    1 cup heavy whipping cream
    1 pkg. (5.2 oz.) Boursin cheese
    12 oz. frozen chopped spinach (more or less. I eyeball it.) Thaw and squeeze dry of excess moisture
    3 T. Parmesan cheese, grated
    Salt, white pepper, cayenne, and nutmeg to taste

Preheat oven to 425; coat a shallow 2-cup baking dish with butter and set aside.

Sauté onion in fat in large saucepan over medium heat. Cook until soft, 5 minutes.

Add almond flour and stir to coat onion. Cook about 1 minute.

Gradually whisk cream into onion mixture, stirring constantly to prevent clumping. Simmer sauce for 1 minute.

Stir in Boursin a little at a time until melted and smooth. Remove saucepan from heat.

Add spinach, Parmesan, and seasonings.

Pour everything into the baking dish and slam it in the oven. Bake until golden and bubbly. Try not to burn the crap out of your mouth when it comes out of the oven.

Nutritional Information per 1/3 cup:
    272 calories
    23g fat
    11g carbs
    313mg sodium
    2g fiber
    7g protein

You're welcome.
    Grok on!

MJinLV is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, and bring on the recipes. I'm always looking for something new.
    Food should be fun--Thomas Keller

Thanks!

This is so good, it kills me every time. I used to feel so guilty making it when I was eating 1200 low fat calories a day on CW, but after I tweaked it to make it PB friendly I pretty much just stand at my kitchen counter and eat it with a spoon.

I hope you like it as much as I do!

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Is Boursin made with grass fed milk? If so - I'm really, really up for this one! Sounds divine.

It isn't, unfortunately. But I bet this would be AMAZING if you substituted a wonderful creamy grass-fed cheese. Boursin brings a lot of flavor with it which I'm sure can be replicated by adding extra seasonings.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Did a variation inspired by this using feta cheese. Kinda like a spanakopita without all that nasty phyllo! Thanks for the excellent post, when I get my hands on Boursin I'll try yours!

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Thanks! I have an extra package of Boursin in my fridge that I've been trying to figure out what to do with (it was 2-for-1 day at the grocery store, and I really only needed one). I love creamed spinach! This sounds great!

This Tasted GREAT!!

OMG, Cosima, I made this and it was SO GOOD I ate it 3 days in a row!

I made a couple of modifications.

Instead of frozen spinach, I used 1 lb of a combination of fresh spinach, kale, & chard. Just dumped it in a covered casserole and nuked it in the microwave for about 3 minutes to get it soft and limp.

I also added a can of artichokes hearts (NOT the marinated kind) and about a TB of lemon juice.

Other than that, I stuck to your recipe. It was to die for.

-Poppy

TanyaV is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosima View Post
    Okay, I'm new to PB so while I'm 100% onboard and I've read the book and scoured the forums, I'm very limited in what I can bring to the forum.

Which sucks. I love forums.

And then I remembered! I cook! A lot! All the time! I can share what I cook!

Here's my absolute favorite recipe ever for creamed spinach. You know your favorite steak restaurant? The high end one where everything is a la carte and a side of creamed spinach is like $12? And you order it because you think, "Hey, that's a lot of cash but I bet it's amazing!" But turns out it's not amazing at all and then you get the bill and it's like three hundred dollars and suddenly you want to shoot the creamed spinach right in its green creamy face?

Yeah. This is the creamed spinach you wish that was.

Hope I'm not overselling.

Boursin Creamed Spinach

1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
    3 T. Fat (I use half butter and half bacon fat)
    2 T. Almond flour
    1 cup heavy whipping cream
    1 pkg. (5.2 oz.) Boursin cheese
    12 oz. frozen chopped spinach (more or less. I eyeball it.) Thaw and squeeze dry of excess moisture
    3 T. Parmesan cheese, grated
    Salt, white pepper, cayenne, and nutmeg to taste

Preheat oven to 425; coat a shallow 2-cup baking dish with butter and set aside.

Sauté onion in fat in large saucepan over medium heat. Cook until soft, 5 minutes.

Add almond flour and stir to coat onion. Cook about 1 minute.

Gradually whisk cream into onion mixture, stirring constantly to prevent clumping. Simmer sauce for 1 minute.

Stir in Boursin a little at a time until melted and smooth. Remove saucepan from heat.

Add spinach, Parmesan, and seasonings.

Pour everything into the baking dish and slam it in the oven. Bake until golden and bubbly. Try not to burn the crap out of your mouth when it comes out of the oven.

Nutritional Information per 1/3 cup:
    272 calories
    23g fat
    11g carbs
    313mg sodium
    2g fiber
    7g protein

You're welcome.
    Grok on!
    Made this a couple of nights ago with a few changes. Thanks for the inspiration it was really good!
    www.feedtheclan.com

Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week