Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Places in USA for Primal Living? page

Grandma Dee is offline Junior Member

Best Places in USA for Primal Living?

Shop Now
    Howdy Mark and all readers!

I'd like everyone's input on where they think it's a great place to live "primally" in the good ol' USA. My husband and I (primal for two years now) have traveled through many, many states in our little RV, and we've found a lot of places that we wouldn't choose to live (not enough access to organic/pastured foods, not a clean enough environment, not good weather for growing our own food, etc), but none that we would choose! Granted, we're kind of spoiled in many ways where we are (Central Oregon), with extremely great air and water and plenty of markets for healthy food...but our missing link is the growing season here (winter drags on and on, and an unexpected frost or hail storm is always a fear). We're retired, and have wanted to make a move for several years, but just can't figure out to where. So we'd like to know of some places where folks feel they have good access to the organic foods they don't or can't grow, good access to pastured meats and eggs, clean air and water, good growing weather, a minimal population (under 100,000), and some raw dairy would be a bonus. Do you live in Primal Paradise??? Please let me know where it is!

Green~Tara is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest Vermont for all the open space, fresh air, lovely places to walk, hike and enjoy the outdoors, sustainable farming, proximity to Maine and coastal NH for fresh seafood and farms - but I guess the very short growing season would cancel it out for you.

I'm curious to see if others reply!

Amy_Rose is offline Junior Member
    I will put my vote in for Upstate South Carolina around Greenville. Plenty of opportunities for hiking, biking, water sports -- and a population that is very active in all these activities and more. There is a strong interest here in local farms and food, and the growing season is gloriously long.

Cruise through this lovely little town next time you are in the area -- you may love it as much as my husband and I do.

Thank you Green~Tara and Amy_Rose... yes, Vermont has always had a strong pull, but I do fear the weather would not be much of an improvement for our gardening efforts. Environmentally and politically, VT rocks!!

Having lived 16 years in southwestern North Carolina, I do not wish to return to that high humidity again. But you are correct; the growing season would be glorious

The search continues,
    Grandma Dee
    Last edited by Grandma Dee; 04-30-2015 at 07:22 PM. Reason: wrong word

Hmmmm.... over 200 views and only 2 replies.... I guess ya'll are keeping those "Paleo Perfect Places" to yourselves, lest they become over-crowded! Can't say I blame ya.

Rig D is offline Senior Member
    Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    On the other hand, maybe we are all interested in finding the right spot... For sure, it isn't where I am
    The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Green~Tara is offline Senior Member
    I wonder how some place in Oregon would fare - less rain than Washington, and I hear it is a beautiful state that doesn't get as cold as the northeast or northern midwest.

I'm with you - I couldn't tolerate the humidity down south. We tried the desert for a while and at first it felt good, but after a year I felt so dried out that I was crisp and I got terrible sinus problems.

knalpot is offline Junior Member
    agree with tara

If you look at my original post, Oregon is where we currently live. Central Oregon (our home) has very long, cold, and unpredictable winters (very difficult for gardening), and Western Oregon, with its more temperate weather, is still extremely wet and rainy (lived there for 5 years, also, and was depressed most of the time for lack of sunshine). But other than weather, Oregon is great...absolutely beautiful and pristine in most places, with lots of outdoor opportunities for the enthusiast. The many positives make it hard to leave, but growing our own food is becoming more and more important every year, as industry and government keep mucking it up!

FelixtheCaveCat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Have you been to Northern California at all? Plenty of areas where it's easy to get good local organic food, or grow your own, or escape all that and spend time in the great outdoors for a while...
    Sent from some place with working electricity and Internet
    "Your body isn't a temple--it's an amusement park! Enjoy the ride." -- Anthony Bourdain

My Journal: Cheap, Lazy, and Primal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast