Thread: Tigs' Primal Trail page

Tigs is offline Junior Member

Tigs' Primal Trail

Shop Now
    Well, I've been lurking here for quite some time, and finally decided to register and start a journal, to help me track my progress, and "keep me honest". Its been very inspiring to read some others' journals, and perhaps mine can help someone else as well as myself.

(Obligatory life story follows..you can sure skip to the next bit if these bore you...)

I have been struggling with being overweight most of my life (I am now 51, and 5' 9") I have managed to be down to a weight I felt good about a few times, but it has always been "by accident"....generally when I was too busy to remember to eat. Last year, I stepped on a scale and saw that I was 198 pounds. I had worked HARD to get from over 200 lbs down to 165 when I got out of college, and vowed I would never get above 200 again. So, it was time to get to work! Over the last year or so, I battled through with CW methods, trying to exercise enough, and continually cutting Calories (and so being continually hungry). Over 6 months, I lost 8 lbs.

Pretty discouraged, I pretty much gave up. Over the Christmas holidays, I visited family and chanced to have a conversation with my sister who mentioned that my brother's blood work is so much better than everyone else's....insanely low Trigs and cholesterol. Now, that brother eats meat and bacon and chokes down veg.... (he always said: its green, so its not ripe and I am NOT eating that...).

That conversation must have percolated through while I was trying to figure out how to manage to cut my Cals sustainably withough killing all those around me due to constant hungry b*tch mode. There HAD to be a missing piece of the puzzle. It made NO sense that I was eating about 1200 cals a day and barely maintaining my weight. ...And I remembered that WAAAY back in the day (1977?), I had had success with Atkins diet in losing significant weight. However, I had NO desire to eat all the fake crap that is encouraged in that marketing scheme. I went looking further and found MDA. Instant sense! I read through the site, read through other sites and WebMD abstracts about the studies, and decided THIS was worth a try.

(Back to the Primal bit of the narrative now...)
    On Feb 1, 2015, I began working my way to Primal living. Challenges: my husband is gluten free due to seizure issues, but is 100% unwilling to give up his GF goodies and sugary snacks, although his recent trips to the doc have shown huge inflammatory markers, high LDL, low HDL, and very high Trigs. We also live with long time friends as housemates, and we share cooking/cleaning duties during the week. No way to make the house mainly primal. Finances are a bit tight, as I have only a 30 hour a week job, and hubby is disabled. Positives: We live in an area that has a pretty good variety of organic and pastured options, we can grow a lot of greens, have a dehydrator and grinder, and my housemates are pretty supportive (even the ones that really don't understand...) and willing to work with primal options for suppers.

So: Starting Weight: 198 lbs. I have maintained mostly primal eating(I'll call it 80% at the lowest points, mostly 90%ish) since the beginning of Feb. First 2 weeks, I dropped 10 pounds! I know a bunch was water weight, but still very encouraging Next 2 weeks, I slowly gained back 5 of those pounds while eating the same way! Huh? My handy tape measure came to my rescue. While I was gaining weight (no LHT, or changing my activity levels much), my waist and hip measurements each dropped by 1". Again: Huh?...but I'll take it; it let me keep on keeping on.

At this point, almost 3 months in, I am at 176 pounds, walking regularly (thanks to my dog, who never gives up asking for his walk!), and remembering to play. I still haven't been able to develop the habit of LHT. While I would like to be stronger, and reverse the slow muscle decline, I do NOT like the effect of heavy workouts. Walking, I love once I get out. Karate Katas, I love for meditation in motion. LHT leaves me sweaty and sore. How do I get past that?

Almost halfway to my Goal weight of 150, feeling so much better w/ a better outlook and much more energy! In this for the long haul: Live long, drop dead

jrosto is online now Senior Member
    Hey Tigs, glad I saw your journal

My Sweetie is also not even a little bit interested in giving up bread, pasta and sugars. No real big deal with the majority of my eating plan. I just cook Primal meals and add on to her plate the stuff she likes. A piece of bread or a little pasta. Maybe a white potato every once in a while. We have one pantry/cupboard that is non-paleo, the rest I have cleaned out. So basically, base meals can be primal, use good fats, and keep you on track. Non-primal housemates can add on what they desire without affecting what you eat.

As for lifting heavy things... start out slow with the body weight exercises. Spend a little time every couple of days or so doing a couple easy sets. Once you get in the habit you may begin enjoying it I still have restrictions on what I can do physically, so I use resistance bands to get in some strength training.

You are doing great and I am looking forward to following your successes

Hi John, glad you stopped by! The main issue with nonprimal housemates is that I am not the main cook; we share the cooking throughout the week and eat together. They are really great, tho. For instance last night, we had enchiladas. My housemate made me a separate dish of the "innards" with no wrap for me. I can't do paleo wraps either, because I have a horrible reaction to coconut and coconut oil both inside and out. I just ignore the areas that aren't "my" food and it usually works pretty well (except ice cream dammitall)

So toDay was pretty active: up and out for work, then to PT to work on my toe issues. I think we figured out what is going on with my left hip as well. My gait is off due to the long term toe issue, and I need to relearn a balanced gait to take the stress off the hips. PT gave me exercises to work onleveling and balancing gait, as well as strengthening adductor a and abductors to keep hips moving properly.

Got home, and got the chance to mow the lawn, since it wasn't a rainy day finally. Then took dog for walk, then grilled up some chicken breasts. Best part is that while the chicken was grilling I got to gather salad fixings from the garden! Spring must finally be here. Lots of greens and herbs all from the garden, with a simple balsamic/oil dressing. NOM. Craving that dang ice cream.... We'll have to see....
    Last edited by Tigs; 04-27-2015 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Adding further info

Today was pretty good day, for the most part. right up until the end, anyway. Work went well, a nice sunny day right up until time to go home,when it started misting...so I wimped out and grabbed the bus home instead of walking. Had supper and headed out to martial arts class. Great class, and got home to bad news: a good friend of the whole household died yesterday morning. Sad for all of us as we will miss knowing his particular brand of crazy is not with us any more. Good news is he appears to have gone quickly and peacefully, and is now his best self. Dropped primal to light a candle and raise a glass of "happy apple pie" to and for him in tribute, then drowned my sorrow in a couple of squares of 85% dark chocolate. Spent a couple hours contacting folks that may not have heard yet.... Peace to you, Ronny...until next time 'round.
    Last edited by Tigs; 04-28-2015 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Corrections

So today was actually harder than I thought it would be; Ronny's death really did throw me for a loop. Didn't sleep well last night. Made it to work, but just felt ... disconnected and depressed all day. Ate crappy. Morning was just cheese and nuts. Got home and had a couple cookies and some ice cream. Really? *sigh* ok, yeah. Had a salad w/ some grilled chicken leftovers on it for dinner, though, and I did get out for some walks in the sun, and that helped. Still feeling sad, and realizing I won't be able to make it to the memorial, because its too far away, and I will be working. Still, some great pics are getting posted to FB that are making me smile. I just hope Ronny is finally realizing how many people truly did and do care about him. Until the next turn of the wheel my friend, may you fare well.

In spite of it all, I got my walk in, stayed dang close to my kcals AND macros, and got a couple of sets of countertop pushups in. Thanks for the suggestion on that, John! Tomorrow is another day; perhaps it will be better.

Well, I should get back and update this now, at least briefly. The week leading up to May 1 is always bad for me, so I guess it makes sense that I spiralled down a bit. Still, I did stay fairly well on track: made sure to walk every day, stayed mostly with real food...a bit of ice cream, a couple of Joe-Joes, and more chocolate than usual, but otherwise good. macros and kcals stayed pretty well on track.

I went to check out a gym somewhat nearby (nothing is in hop over on foot distance, but this is reasonably close...). They have lifting gym, crossfit area, and boot camp area. I got a good tour and background info, seems a nice place... but i need to check out a couple of other places, and see how they seem. This gym will give a week free to try out classes, weights, gym, and of course the people before signing up; they also have monthly and yearly options for membership. And a special for teachers/students for 4 months of summer at the lowest monthly rate (usually reserved for the full year membership....).

I am doing much better today: got some veg gardening done: weeding and fertilizing what is out there already, cleaning up the paths, and harvesting a bit of greens for my scramble this morning. Then went and let friend's chickens out for her while she is gone, came back and finished spinning the singles for a sock. Will ply and see if the yarn will work for socks, or back to the drawing board..... Still need to go out w/ the dog for our walk, but its a great day out there, so that should be easy. Grilling steaks and asparagus for supper tonight, too. YUM.

jrosto is online now Senior Member
    Sounds like a wonderful day Tigs.

Very sorry for the loss of your friend. I don't know what a "Happy Apple Pie" is, but it does sound like a good drink to toast a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

lujo238 is online now Junior Member
    Sorry to hear about your friend. I can totally relate to emotional eating. Good luck on your hunt for a gym.

qixuedecs is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    yes,Thanks for the suggestion on that, John! Tomorrow is another day; perhaps it will be better.