Thread: Help me fix my chicken? page

Courtsgoneprimal is offline Junior Member

Help me fix my chicken?

Shop Now
    So I decided to make bone broth, which turned out really good, so far, but I figured I was going to kill two birds, and just cook all my chicken legs and fish the meat out to use in later dishes....But I didn't know that putting ACV in it was going to make all the chicken taste like ACV. Are there certain spices I can cook with to tone down the vinegar flavor? What about a coconut curry? I think that might hide it a bit, right?

ekba09 is online now Senior Member
    You can try:

1) Cook until the meat is done, pull the meat off the bones. Put bones back, then add vinegar and cook longer.
    2) Use less vinegar.
    3) Don't use any vinegar. You don't need it.

Ok. I won't use it next time then. I'd read that some people do and some don't, so I figured I'd try. You can't taste it at all in the broth.

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    Maybe try buffalo chicken, since it already requires vinegar? Or sweet and sour chicken, lol.

On a side note, I am so making egg drop soup with some of this broth tomorrow.....

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    A lot of Chinese meat dishes use chinese vinegar as base, so IMO trying some sort of recipe that already has vinegar in it (and just don't add any more vinegar) might work best. Aside from the above few choices...

Crispy chilli beef | BBC Good Food (except with chicken, you can use potato starch instead of corn starch)

Jamaican Jerk Chicken Recipe | Epicurious.com

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ekba09 View Post
    You can try:

1) Cook until the meat is done, pull the meat off the bones. Put bones back, then add vinegar and cook longer.
    2) Use less vinegar.
    3) Don't use any vinegar. You don't need it.
    I don't use vinegar simply because I don't like the taste it gives. I use lemon juice with the carcass for stock tho - gives a great flavour!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Fixing is tough. The above suggestion of using recipes that incorporate vinegar is a good one.

But honestly, for next time, I'd rather roast or prepare the chicken first another way, then use the bones for broth. Otherwise you get boiled chicken which to my mind is a bit yucky. Since I'm generally cooking for one, I have freezer bags in which I put any bones/gristle/skin/fat/veggie remnants.

I do use vinegar for broth, but as breadsauce indicated, another acid works fine.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    You could always make a North Carolina-type "barbecue" with the chicken, as the sauce is a vinegar based sauce. Make a "pulled chicken" barbecue, where the spices make the dish.

renmendgg is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Make a "pulled chicken" barbecue, where the spices make the dish.