Thread: Assistance sprints? page

Sonoran hotdog is online now Senior Member

Assistance sprints?

Shop Now
    Running sprints is the exercise I love to hate. I know they are good for me, but they are incredibly fatiguing. Nonetheless, I try to adhere to the 1x/week set of 8 sprints.

For the last few months I've been doing KB swings on a very regular basis. 3x/week, 100 swings with a 24kg KB. These wind me a bit after each 20-swing set, but not nearly as much as running sprints.

In the last month or so I've noticed the sprint running has felt less painful/exhausting, and my recovery time between intervals has improved. I attribute it to the regular "assistance sprints" of the KB swings.

Do you do anything similar, i.e. do some kind of "assistance sprints" in addition to weekly running sprints? Have you noticed it makes a difference in your high-intensity sprints? How often do you do them?

IMHO there is no substitute for running sprints. No other intervals (biking, rowing, swimming) engages the glutes as intensely. I like doing the KB swings, I think they are a useful exercise, but they are no substitute for getting out on the trail/track.

gergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonoran hotdog View Post
    Running sprints is the exercise I love to hate. I know they are good for me, but they are incredibly fatiguing. Nonetheless, I try to adhere to the 1x/week set of 8 sprints.

For the last few months I've been doing KB swings on a very regular basis. 3x/week, 100 swings with a 24kg KB. These wind me a bit after each 20-swing set, but not nearly as much as running sprints.

In the last month or so I've noticed the sprint running has felt less painful/exhausting, and my recovery time between intervals has improved. I attribute it to the regular "assistance sprints" of the KB swings.

Do you do anything similar, i.e. do some kind of "assistance sprints" in addition to weekly running sprints? Have you noticed it makes a difference in your high-intensity sprints? How often do you do them?

IMHO there is no substitute for running sprints. No other intervals (biking, rowing, swimming) engages the glutes as intensely. I like doing the KB swings, I think they are a useful exercise, but they are no substitute for getting out on the trail/track.
    The "sinister" swings is my sprinting. My assistance "sprints" are on a stationary bike -but I pick the hill programme, so it is no pure sprints but still intervalls.
    The swings definetily make me stronger and my conditioning circuits and bw exercises easier
    Last edited by gergirl; 04-26-2015 at 09:22 AM.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I've been trying to add some low-intensity steady state cardio to my routine. I was re-motivated after reading this:
    Avoiding Cardio Could Be Holding You Back • Strengtheory

Doing some easy aerobic work like outlined in the article (130bpm for 30min, 2x/week) can help build a better aerobic engine which will, to a degree, make pretty much any physical endeavor feel easier. I am still trying to find my perfect modality for this. The treadmill is torture. Walking isn't intense enough and jogging gets my HR too high. I think rucking (carrying a heavy backpack) might work.

The past few weeks my only sprint-type work has come from weight training and Ultimate frisbee. I've done sprints on a spin bike before and honestly those gas me more than running sprints. When I'm sprinting, I am somewhat limited by... my running form I guess. I get to a certain speed and momentum is dong a good bit of work for me. And if I try to really push to go faster, I sometimes just get off balance sorta and it just ends up slowing me down. On the spin bike, that is not the case.

Sonoran hotdog is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I've been trying to add some low-intensity steady state cardio to my routine. I was re-motivated after reading this:
    Avoiding Cardio Could Be Holding You Back • Strengtheory

Doing some easy aerobic work like outlined in the article (130bpm for 30min, 2x/week) can help build a better aerobic engine which will, to a degree, make pretty much any physical endeavor feel easier. I am still trying to find my perfect modality for this. The treadmill is torture. Walking isn't intense enough and jogging gets my HR too high. I think rucking (carrying a heavy backpack) might work.

The past few weeks my only sprint-type work has come from weight training and Ultimate frisbee. I've done sprints on a spin bike before and honestly those gas me more than running sprints. When I'm sprinting, I am somewhat limited by... my running form I guess. I get to a certain speed and momentum is dong a good bit of work for me. And if I try to really push to go faster, I sometimes just get off balance sorta and it just ends up slowing me down. On the spin bike, that is not the case.
    Yep, I've been a 4-mile x 3 days/week runner for years. Makes a huge difference. I do my running sprints the last mile of my run 1x/week. The KB swings seem to have made an incremental difference on top of that aerobic activity.

Hiking w/ a backpack is always good, especially if you can throw in some altitude. I'm just getting ready to head out for a hike in Saguaro Nat'l Park which will include ~2000 ft of up, then the same down. If done at a sufficiently fast pace, that'll get the heart rate up. Living in NC I would think you could get up into the AT on weekends.

miata is online now Senior Member
    I also have that love hate relationship with sprints and agree 100% that there is not substitute to running sprints.

To be honest I've been on and off for the last year. I complement my sprinting with various intensity cycling and 3-days a week 531 barbell lifting program. I think the squats are helping as I get into really engaging my glutes and hams.

halzhirou is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The past few weeks my only sprint-type work has come from weight training and Ultimate frisbee.