Thread: Blood in Bones for Bone Broth? page

UnicornwithCape is offline Junior Member

Blood in Bones for Bone Broth?

Thrive Market
    (Rookie-Question) Bought some grass-fed bones from the butcher last night and have only previously had used chicken bones... These grass-fed bones are very bloody. Was going to put them in my crock-pot for 24 hours and slow-cook them on Low. Is this enough to kill the bacteria in the blood? I'm really trying to heal my gut and don't want to make a big mistake just because I wasn't properly informed about how to do this correctly. Please let me know your thoughts! Thank you!

vh67 is online now Senior Member
    Your bones are fine. That is fairly normal with the bones I get when I buy my half steer. Fresh bone marrow looks like blood.

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    That's totally fine. If you want a clear broth you can boil the bones for 20ish minutes and discard that first batch of "broth." Then make bone broth. That's what the Chinese do...

EatMoveSleep is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you've eaten cooked red meat eg a steak that is cooked for merely MINUTES then you've eaten cooked blood as the raw meat has plenty of visible blood.

Milk is pasteurised ( most pathogens killed) by heating to 72 C / 161 F for 15 seconds.

A long low simmer is at about 93 C / 200 F. The bone internals would get up to temperature fairly quickly - I'm pretty sure no pathogens are going to survive in that temperature for 24 hours