Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Amy_Rose) page

Amy_Rose is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Primal Journal (Amy_Rose)

Shop Now
    This is exciting! Exciting in the way that all new endeavors are -- the endless possibilities; the lack of doubt; the boundless enthusiasm. I love this part -- the beginning! Anything is possible!

For the past year I have practiced eating primally and have come to enjoy how much better I feel physically, mentally and emotionally when I "eat clean". With this as my starting point, I am now ready to fully commit to a primal lifestyle. I have never been an active person, avoiding all team sports and most self-propelled movement. But I am ready to change that. I want to enjoy the outdoors again, especially now that I live in a fabulously beautiful part of South Carolina. I believe this will be the key to my change.

So, beginning today I will eat clean -- no sugar, no grains, no processed junk -- to the very best of my ability.

And I will find a way EVERY DAY to add movement and activity to my life.

That is my promise to myself.

Green~Tara is offline Senior Member
    I witness your promise! One day at a time!

As an addition to my Primal eating plans, I attended my first Weight Watchers meeting last night. The community support will be great for me, as will the accountability of a weekly weigh-in. I'm sure I can easily avoid all the snacks and fake food they push; those things are so far from clean eating! I don't want a substitute for sugary carb-laden junk food. I want to feed my body with the healthy protein, fats and veggies that it has become accustomed to in the last year. I just need to stop feeding myself so much of it. And I need to cut way back on the "reasons" I should eat off-plan.

It's time to get serious about my health and that includes weight loss. I am currently 199.4 pounds. At only 5' 3" that is far too much for my body to carry around. It affects my life in negative ways -- I avoid certain clothing styles that I would love to wear (Shorts! Sun dresses! Bathing suits!); I avoid activities that would be so much fun (Kayaking! Paddle boarding! Mountain hiking and biking!) and I often feel self conscious in social situations because I am fat. This is a ridiculous way to choose to live, and I have chosen it by my inaction in the past. I am responsible for the way I am now, just as I am responsible for changing it. One day at a time, I will change my body's composition from overweight to trim and healthy.

Breakfast: 3 egg omelet with butter and a bit of cream

Mid-Day snack: Macadamia nuts, one square of 86% dark chocolate

Dinner: Pork chop; spinach and zucchini cooked in a bit of coconut oil

Evening treat: It was going to be wine, but I think I'll just have some raspberries instead since the WW points are getting a little too high

Exercise: Short walk downtown; also parked a block away from work for the long walk up the hill to the office.

Hey Amy Rose, this journal has been quiet for a while - how are things going? Check in with us.

Hey there, I put this on my blog but wanted to repost for when you visit again:

Hi Amy! Glad to see you back! I forgot that your blog was for later as you get more in depth.

I am relatively new to the bone broth. I used to make it when DH was in the Army and we were stationed overseas, I was unemployed and had more time on my hands. Back in those days however, I did not consider it "bone broth" but I always made stock from any chicken or turkey I roasted, and also started most soups by making stocks from beef bones from the local butcher, onions, celery, etc. I didn't consider it anything remotely "paleo" as the concept had not yet been re-invented, I just considered it frugal cooking. Come to think of it we were almost eating paleo then, with all the farm fresh food we got from local farmers. (Of course, the big pans of lasagne, baked manicotti, and pots of chicken fricasee with dumplings were nowhere near Primal, LOL.)

A couple of weeks ago I started back into the habit, and used the remains of a rotisserie chicken to make a stock a/k/a bone broth. It was absolutely delicious. Google around on the paleo blogs, there are lots of great instructions and photos. For a couple of mornings I enjoyed a cup of the broth with an egg stirred in, then I used the rest to make a fresh chicken soup which was so delicious, and also caused me to sleep as if I was in a coma! It was the deepest and most refreshing sleep - I'll be making it again soon.

This one has really good tips and explanations on the benefits: Welness Mama

Here's an interesting Asian Style one!

It's been a week since I started my WW/Primal experiment and already I am very pleased with the results. My energy is noticeably higher every day, I am sleeping soundly and I am not hungry -- ever. I won't know my weight loss for the week until tonight's WW meeting, but it almost doesn't matter right now. I feel that good!

I have been tracking my food on the WW app and also tracking on the SparkPeople app as a backup -- not because I am that OCD but because WW doesn't show how many carbs I've had and I want to keep an eye on that. My daily carb total is averaging 52 grams for the week and doesn't vary too far from that on any day. I'm eating only primal foods and I'm on target each day with the WW points. Life is good.

I also noticed that I am drinking a lot more water each day, the direct result of the little water tracker on the WW app. Not a bad thing.

I have consciously added more movement to my week -- some serious gardening duty over the weekend and a couple half hour walks through our hilly neighborhood at lunchtime. Also planning on body weight exercises for the future but I'm just in the "thinking about thinking about it" stage right now.

Today's Food:

Breakfast: three eggs scrambled with butter and a bit of heavy cream. It tasted wonderful, but I could only eat 2/3 of it before I was totally satisfied. The leftovers went to my best buddy so my dog now thinks I am a god.

Lunch: I have some macadamias at work in case I need food, but a breakfast like this usually keeps me full until dinner.

Dinner: (after my WW weigh-in tonight) I will treat myself to one of my "stacks": leftover roast chicken topped with wilted spinach topped with sliced avocado topped with fresh tomato salsa topped with a spoonful of sour cream. Heaven! And maybe a glass of wine, just because.

Quick Note -- I lost 4.4 pounds for my first week on this plan. Yay, me!
    Last edited by Amy_Rose; 05-05-2015 at 07:24 AM.

Since weekends are often my downfall in any weight-loss attempt, I was careful to track all my food from Friday through Sunday. I did not white-knuckle my way through like WW expects. Instead I stuck to the 80/20 Primal rule and I chose my off-plan foods carefully.

Friday night my first splurge was fresh sourdough bread to make a perfect first-of-the-season tomato sandwich and it was wonderful. Friday evening I chose to have Jelly-Belly jelly beans, but not the entire bag like I used to do. This time I sorted through and picked out only my very favorite flavors. I chose plenty of them and tracked the resulting points/carbs/whatevers honestly. The remaining jelly beans went to my husband (talk about a support system!) so I wasn’t tempted to eat them the next day. On Sunday I had the very finest reuben sandwich I have eaten since we moved south. Great reubens are rare down here, and I loved every bite of this one.

These carefully chosen sugar and grain additions to my usual primal foods don’t seem like a big deal, but to me they made my life joyful. Freedom and self-determination have that effect every time.

Two other new things in my daily life: I am doing real manual labor in my garden at least every other day (who bought all these plants?!), and I have switched my parking place at work from right beside the building to a block away.

The vision for my new life is activity and health and joy and freedom. I’m starting now, there’s no sense in waiting until all this weight is gone.

Breakfast: BLT Frittata (recipe from right here on MDA)

Mid-Day snack: Macadamia nuts, one square of 86% dark chocolate

Dinner: Beef roast; roasted new potatoes, zucchini and mushrooms; avocado

Evening treat: a lovely glass of wine while sitting on the deck in the evening

Exercise: The garden is calling me -- I better get all these plants in the ground

This has been a huge learning week for me.

First lesson: even though WW says to eat all your Points every day, that’s a stupid way to live. Other people’s rules about how much I must eat should always be ignored. Yes, I knew that. But it’s very easy to be drawn into the groupthink no matter how illogical the mantra is. I will go back to paying attention to my own body and feeding it only the best of primal foods only when it is actually hungry.

Second lesson: despite what WW preaches, fruit is not an eat-all-you-want food. My addiction this week was frozen grapes, which I had never tried before. The taste is truly phenomenal. Not sure why, but fresh frozen grapes are light years better than just plain old grapes. It’s so easy to delude yourself about the consequences when a snack tastes that good. But I can tell from changes in my digestion that all that fruit has had an effect on me. It’s time to stop the madness now.

The upshot of these two lessons: at my WW weigh-in last night I gained a pound for the week (which I attribute to my messed up digestion). I am not all that upset about the weight gain. I no longer beat myself up about trivial things. But it was a wake up call to re-examine my gradual slide into WW weirdness.

I must remind myself constantly that I am only using WW for the camaraderie and the weekly accountability. For those two things, the WW meetings are invaluable.

For everything else, I will rely on my Primal mindset. It serves me well.

And I will stop using the WW food tracker because all it tracks are the points. I will start using the SparkPeople tracker again so I can watch my carb intake

The TL/DR version -- WW Points are bullshit. Stick with the Primal way and be truly healthy
    Last edited by Amy_Rose; 05-15-2015 at 07:11 AM.

HeuristicFireFlower is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy_Rose View Post
    It's time to get serious about my health and that includes weight loss. I am currently 199.4 pounds. At only 5' 3" that is far too much for my body to carry around. It affects my life in negative ways -- I avoid certain clothing styles that I would love to wear (Shorts! Sun dresses! Bathing suits!); I avoid activities that would be so much fun (Kayaking! Paddle boarding! Mountain hiking and biking!) and I often feel self conscious in social situations because I am fat. This is a ridiculous way to choose to live, and I have chosen it by my inaction in the past. I am responsible for the way I am now, just as I am responsible for changing it. One day at a time, I will change my body's composition from overweight to trim and healthy.
    I've done this, too. SO not fair to ourselves. WE can so create a life of fantastic experiences.
    You sound like you're off to a solid strong start!
    Green-Tara excellent info on the bone broth - yummy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast