Thread: Confused about how much calories I should eat. page

Confused about how much calories I should eat.

Shop Now
    Hi there,

I went o IIFYM website, and it calculates my bmi at 1800 and with 5 days of exercice, it tells me I should eat 2100 calories per day for fat lost. It also mentions my TDEE to be 2500 approx. Now, is this enough? Some people tell me that I should add the calories I burn to the 2100 calories...I'm pretty confused. Could someone help me out??

I do crossfit 3 times per week, and I try to walk 1 hour x 2 times per week.

I do HCLF on crossfit days and HFLC on the other days (4 days out of 7)

Thank you

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    IME crediting exercise as kcal is a mistake--the way we measure and judge energy is not that precise. I remember a tracker telling me I should add ~900 kcal/day due to my bike commute which sounded absurd relative to appetite, energy, weight.

For fat loss adding "calories" can easily go awry if it's nutrients one doesn't need. In your shoes I'd stick to normal portions then scale up protein and starch foods if activity starts to suffer. Keep oil, cheese, nuts, etc. as minimal flavorings.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Are you trying to gain, maintain, or lose weight?

In any case the actual calorie number does not need to be known.

gergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalcanadian View Post
    Hi there,

I went o IIFYM website, and it calculates my bmi at 1800 and with 5 days of exercice, it tells me I should eat 2100 calories per day for fat lost. It also mentions my TDEE to be 2500 approx. Now, is this enough? Some people tell me that I should add the calories I burn to the 2100 calories...I'm pretty confused. Could someone help me out??

I do crossfit 3 times per week, and I try to walk 1 hour x 2 times per week.

I do HCLF on crossfit days and HFLC on the other days (4 days out of 7)

Thank you
    male?female? You could try calorie cycling, i.e. eat more on workout days and less on off days. Around 2300 cals average and see where it takes you? As a compromise until you have figured out on which days with how many calories you feel better?

Jacksson is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The only way to really answer that question is to track your calories, fat loss, and energy levels/performance. Like picklepete says, its not that precise and its not the same for everyone. Do an experiment on yourself. And not just calories.

I also agree that calories burned estimates are all over the board and adds too much complication to life. Track what you eat and how you move. Measure fat and note performance. And take your time. It's not a rush. You may find 2100 good calories is on the money. You may find you need a bunch more or less.