Thread: PB Cookbook Enchilada QUESTION page

chameleon is offline Member

PB Cookbook Enchilada QUESTION

the tortilla replacement in the enchiladas has dairy...anyone know if I can leave it out (ie what is it providing?)?

also, are the yolks left out b/c their flavor would come through? b/c this morning I made a huge crepe-like egg 'pancake' that used whole eggs and some leftover yolks I had. I sprinkled it with cinnamon and stevia and the kids rolled it up and ate it. they asked for seconds and stuffed some banana in the next roll It held together great so I wasn't sure why the yolks aren't in the enchilada wrap

THANKS!
    Last edited by chameleon; 07-15-2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: spelling and clarification

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Sorry I don't have an answer to your question because DAMN, I NEED THAT COOKBOOK!!

LOL! We are really enjoying the cookbook. I'm a cookbook junkie and I 'came to' primal from a traditional food diet (so already well sourced, whole foods cooked from scratch) so I was actually hesitant to get it thinking that I have so many already and I could just keep adjusting recipes to suit me. Well, I'm REALLY GLAD I 'broke down' and bought the PB Cookbook b/c it's nice to have all the work done for me and everything has turned out great so far.

I made the enchiladas today. Here's what I did in case anyone else needs it to be dairy-free. I, obviously, left out the cheese and I just did the egg crepes with half whole eggs + half whites. They stuck a little, but held together fine despite that (I was using a stainless pan). The flavor did not stand out amongst the enchilada flavors and we LOVED how LIGHT the meal was (in our bellies)...especially considering it tasted like Mexican food! We garnished with cilantro, avocado, and extra green chiles (so DH and I could have some hot ones on our servings).

The whole family enjoyed it, but DS1 (who is very frank) said, "what *is* this delicious thing I've never had before" with his mouth full.

(BTW, I doubled the sauce which I thought was the perfect amount.)

soror is offline Senior Member
    thanks for the tip, we are dairy-free here as well and besides taco salads haven't had anything mexican in a while.

you're welcome

one more tip...I wasn't up for making the sauce from scratch yesterday (and there weren't any poblanos at the store) so I used a can of organic fire roasted tomatoes and a can of green chiles and blended them...much faster and YUMMY even if I sacrificed some flavor

HTH

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post
    Sorry I don't have an answer to your question because DAMN, I NEED THAT COOKBOOK!!
    Yes, you really do need to buy the cookbook. It is by far the best primal/paleo cookbook on the market
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Kev
    Kev is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by chameleon View Post
    the tortilla replacement in the enchiladas has dairy...anyone know if I can leave it out (ie what is it providing?)?

also, are the yolks left out b/c their flavor would come through? b/c this morning I made a huge crepe-like egg 'pancake' that used whole eggs and some leftover yolks I had. I sprinkled it with cinnamon and stevia and the kids rolled it up and ate it. they asked for seconds and stuffed some banana in the next roll It held together great so I wasn't sure why the yolks aren't in the enchilada wrap

THANKS!
    We made these, I am pretty sure you could leave in the egg yokes and leave out the half and half, I would seriously miss the cheese, actually we doubled it, but if your dairy free I say go for it.
    Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.