Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Courtsgoneprimal) page

Courtsgoneprimal is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal (Courtsgoneprimal)

Shop Now
    I'm extremely new, and still soaking up as much as I can from the site. Now, I'm trying to learn my way around the forums.

I've done vegan, I've done whole foods, I've done workout videos, and all kinds of structured workouts. I'm skinny-fat. I only weigh 113, but all of my fat is in my hips and belly...Probably my butt too, but idk because there isn't much there anyway, lol. I've always said I don't care if I weighed 140 lbs, as long as it was muscle, but I don't want to lose weight, unless it's muscle. Years ago, I got down to 102, not on purpose, but that belly fat still didn't go away. I'd heard about low carb, but knowing low carb was "evil", I didn't explore it. I also had no idea there was a connection.

I can't be vegan, because I'm a meat girl. On whole foods, I learned..well...nothing. Except that eating right, and working out still did not lose the fat. And counting calories made me psycho. So I quit tracking. A few days ago, I revisited paleo on Google. Many articles and search terms brought me to MDA again and again. And at some point, I realized the connection between crappy carbs and weight loss. And the way that I understand it, is that your body is designed to use healthy carbs for quick energy, and then it burns fat. But if you are eating a steady supply of grains and other crappy carbs, your body is constantly burning quick sugar, and never really gets to the fat. I may have that wrong, but it makes sense to me. I hate structured strength training. I get bored very quickly, and end up doing a different workout every session, which sucks.

I love that primal has more of a casual exercise regime. I always wondered what the point is in doing a bunch of exercises in ways that we don't move everyday, but didn't realize there was a philosophy behind it. And the minimum strength there is in primal are all of the exercises I like anyway, so it works out. I just can't wait to see changes

I'm on day 2, and have so far

B: 3 eggs with a tsp of coconut oil

I really need to find more breakfast sides....

D: Chicken breast in the crockpot with mushrooms and wild rice.

I tried to do the level test today. It did not go as expected. Apparently I am super out of shape, because I thought that there was no way I would have to start at level one. Wrong. We are supposed to master each level, which means we do it until it becomes effortless? And then go to level 2? Well I have a long way to go. I have been setting aside time to sit on the floor. I think I am starting to prefer it.
    Last edited by Courtsgoneprimal; 04-21-2015 at 04:14 PM.

I woke up this morning with more energy than I have had in years...Even though my sleep was interrupted at 3:30 this morning. And so for no particular reason I have decided to go on a cleaning/organizing/downsizing mission today. Getting rid of all the clutter in my house.

B: Coffee with heavy cream
    L: My version of a Big Ass Salad
    D: Salisbury Steak if I can find a primal recipe, and roasted carrots, cauliflower, and onion

If it gets any warmer today, I am going to walk for an hour later.

Note to self: That salisbury streak recipe is going to be a regular. I'm still wondering if I'm doing primal wrong. I seem to have replaced vegetable and canola oil, and margarine, with olive and coconut oil, and real butter. I know that's a good thing, but I put olive oil on everything (salads and stuff), and cook almost exclusively with coconut oil. Maybe it's just traces of fat fear, but it seems like too much to me.

I almost feel like I have already lost some of my hips, but that's probably in my head. Pics are on my to-do list.

jrosto is online now Senior Member
    It looks like you are off to a great start.

My fat intake is right around 55% of my total calories, it did feel like a whole lot in the beginning, but totally normal now. My fats are lard, coconut oil, avocado oil, bacon grease and butter. Coconut oil and butter are the primaries and I use the others to mix things up and add different flavors to my cooking.

Keep it up Ma'am, I'm looking forward to reading about your successes

Thank for making me feel better about that I've been tracking what I'm eating, though I didn't want to start that again, but it's mostly just until I get an idea of what 100g of carbs (or less) looks like in a given day. But I caught myself trying to play with the numbers when I saw that my fat was around 60% today, so I'm going to try not to pay too much attention to that part. I'm still hungrier than usual, but I still think it's because I'm not eating enough calories now. Or my body is still trying to switch off from primarily using carbs.

There should be a sticky somewhere with examples of food choices for each meal.

Today is LHT day. It's not horribly cold outside today, so I may walk instead. But I figured out last night that I can do weighted squats with my 2 year old, and some sort of deadlifts, lol. I'm also going to have to see if he can still fit in the Mei Tai, and then I won't have to worry about that stupid light weight stroller slowing me down.

D: An amazing 7 ounce steak and steamed broccoli.

I don't know squat about wine, and though I'm a whiskey girl, I don't drink much anymore. But for a year or so now, I've been meaning to find a red wine I actually like, and I think I finally found one I can get used to. It's a sweet red wine. And either wine is really filling, or really bloating, because I am finding a hard time finishing the glass. Lol, but it's good. So I'm relaxing here with my wine, and a heating pad (because I am in so much pain (unrelated to primal)). But it's nice to know I can indulge in my Jack once in awhile still....Too bad I'd have to give up the coke half.

jrosto is online now Senior Member
    Here is "The Definitive Guide to the Primal Eating Plan". It's not a meal plan, but worth your time reading if you have not done so already.

A Primal Blueprint Sample Menu may help.

The routine that I've settled down into is pretty easy.

Breakfast - Egg scramble with veggies left over from dinner and either a half an avocado, couple pieces of bacon or sausage.

Or - Plain full fat yogurt with a quarter cup of berries and something crunchy like pumpkin seeds.

Lunch - Bowl of my homemade bone broth (something I eat pretty much daily in one way or another) with leftover protein and veggies or some seaweed and fish sauce.

Or - Sardines and a veggie, or a primal tuna salad wrap (I use Julian's Paleo Wraps for this), or leftovers from dinner.

Snacks - An ounce of nuts (usually macadamia) with dried berries and/or seeds. Beef Jerky. A paleo type meet bar like the Epic bars. I don't do the bars often due to the sugars. A green banana. Stuff like that.

Dinner - A protein (I cycle between beef, chicken, fish, pork chops and shellfish), usually a salad, a veggie and occasionally 1/2 a sweet potato. I cook more food than we will eat so there are plenty of leftovers for the next couple of days. Leftovers make all the other meals easy.

I usually have two small pieces of 80%+ dark chocolate after dinner.

I also work in some kind of probiotic during the day. I cycle between full fat Kefir, sauerkraut, yogurt and kombuch plus I take a couple tablespoons of raw potato starch daily. Gotta keep the gut bugs happy

I try to keep things really easy.

Is there a way to make canned fish not taste so fishy? Lol. I love fresh fish, and I used to like canned tuna, but not so much anymore. I'll have to google bone broth, because I have no idea what it is, exactly. And yep, I definitely need to eat more in one sitting. I discovered today that I have sort of been IF all my life, and didn't even know that it was a thing. But today I wasn't as hungry as I have been, so maybe I'm getting used to it finally. Otherwise I'll just plan to eat more. I like using greek yogurt in place of sour cream...Does this mean I should buy full fat?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    L: Small baked potato with butter,a hardboiled egg, and a boatload of broccoli.

I am sort of struggling in my head today. I don't have any concrete fitness goals at the moment. I know that I want to be strong. But even though I've weighed 113 lbs since I was 17, I have never in my life seen my abs. There's always been a good sized layer of fat there. 3 c-sections have not made it any bigger, but it's definitely uglier. And there is a shortage of before pics on Google with bellies that look like mine, and so I wonder if it will even be possible to get where I want to be.

Initially, my goal was to let the fit girl inside me, out. But how fit can I REALLY be? Fitness instructor fit? Or just a little bit of pudge in a bikini? That's what fascinates me. Because I can't look to either side of my family, because I don't know of even one of them that has ever been concerned with fitness. So my finished potential product is a total mystery. But what worries me is that if I finally can get rid of the belly fat, will there be too much loose skin? Will muscle fill the skin out more? I don't *think* there will be too much skin though, because there aren't many wrinkly spots right now, which tells me most of it still has elasticity.

So, letting my inner fit girl out is the challenge I want to rise to. I want to feel like I could lift up a truck and throw it. (The fact that I couldn't actually do it doesn't matter). I believe I'm rambling, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast