Thread: Totally new to all forms of Primal living! Need some help with losing fat rapidly! page

MumtazG38 is offline Member

Question Totally new to all forms of Primal living! Need some help with losing fat rapidly!

Primal Fuel
    Some background info:

Used to be an extremely active kid back in the day (way back). I defined the term "Tom Girl" for quite some time in my childhood. So much so I was called the "crazy girl" in the neighborhood by all my guy friends' mothers. They would tell their kids to stop hanging out with me as I might get them hurt! I was a very hyper young girl. That didn't last long though. At the age of 11 I was doing just fine being active and being the fastest sprinter on the school track. This was happening despite my Pakistani/Indian/Mediterranean-esque diet which depended mainly on oiled up Paratha's (fried rotis...in other words flat bread), Daals(cooked lentils), fried chicken and meats, loads of curries and tons of rice....and vegetables? NONE WHATSOEVER! Add to all of this the typical American kid diet (hot dogs, burgers, junk foods galore!)

Although, I believe by the time I turned 12-13 all of this began to catch up with me....I still can't understand why then? By the time I was in 6th grade, I remember my mother weighing me in the bathroom before school and telling me I weighed 125lbs at 5ft. I was also pretty well developed compared to all of the other girls in my class at the time too, having already gotten several visits by my Aunt Flo by age 10...but obviously was too young to really care about such matters. As the years went on I began gaining more and more weight, getting constant stomach aches and chronic diarrhea which disrupted my school education a lot, I was seriously low on energy all the time! Never wanted to get up out of bed.....I would sleep 18 hours at a time whenever I could pull away from my parents constant yelling about how lazy and fat I am and hated school and everything about leaving the comfort of my bedroom...and the bathroom next door! I never went anywhere, never did anything that took me away from home and the bathroom. When I complained about stomach aches at school or before school my parents always thought I was fibbing to skip class. For several more years, my struggles with my weight and stomach issues went unnoticed and uncared for by my family.

Eventually, by the time I was 17 years old my irregular menstrual periods coupled with several other hormonal type symptoms finally pushed my mother to take me to the doctor and figure out what was going on. (By this time I had learned to get used to my stomach problems and chronic diarrhea and mainly just kept it to myself...no medicine, just time management on my good days) The doctor noted that I was quite overweight, but only by the upper half of my body....everything else was built like a horse. But my stomach, arms, back and everything to do with my upper torso was quite a bit overweight. After several blood tests and exams she told us that I had PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome). After some research on my own I found out the Syndrome X (Metabolic Syndrome) was the cause for my PCOS and that if I ever wanted to control or heal my PCOS I would need to lower my weight, lower my sugar intake and lower my food intake overall.

This was not at all easy for me! By the time I had realized this fact I was 18, had already quit school a year ago and gotten my GED due to all of the pressures of high school and the pressures my parents kept putting on me...and simply not being able to cope with school and manage my stomach problems (by now telling my parents that I couldn't go to or stay at school because of my stomach was just a cause for being yelled at and being called a liar.) In a typical Pakistani family....school is something you do not question....the mentality is education is a must...go to school if you are on your death bed, become a doctor or marry a doctor and final! I was seriously depressed by now and had absolutely NO social life. The kids I had grown up with were all going on with their lives and doing great things...and having fun, the only friend I had was my best friend from since we could walk and talk, and even he was constantly worried about the state I was in. While I remained in my room and dealt with my health issues on my own....

4-5 years later...
    I am happily married to my best friend now and have a beautiful WONDERFUL little baby boy who is nearly 6 months now. My life is very much back on track and I am planning on beginning college in a few more months. My PCOS is under control for the most....although I must add that this happened naturally and of its own accord as I had nothing to contribute effort-wise to my PCOS being managed. Only thing that I may have done was that for 2 years I had stayed in Pakistan and lived that lifestyle....I lost quite a bit of weight in that time, leading to my PCOS being controlled and my baby boy being conceived!

Now that my life is perfect . I have put my focus on losing weight and figuring out what is wrong with my stomach! My doctor had me on IBS meds for quite some time with barely any result at all, so we have concluded that it isn't IBS, or if it is it may be coupled with several other issues or allergies and may take comprehensive testing and loads of meds to cure. All of these years, and even today I still think it may just be the spicy food! But even though I do notice a slight change in my stomach after quitting the spicy foods for a few weeks, I still have to run to the bathroom at least 4-5 times a day either way.

Enough background info!!!!!!!

My purpose now is to live a primal lifestyle.....by starting slowly, going step by step and working upto a full blown LIFESTYLE CHANGE!

For now though, I am very interested in the "rapid fat loss" part of The Primal Blueprint. And am looking forward to completely cutting out grains and rice and the likes from my diet. The only thing I'll really miss is the Lentils....but since preparing and cooking them takes so long....I think I can live without . I am MEAT-A-HOLIC by nature....love the stuff! Although....veggies ....hmmm I'll need a way to incorporate some of these into my diet if I want to succeed in my plans for the future!

I was hoping that maybe you guys here could help me out by letting me know how to go about losing fat rapidly by eating and exercising primal style? What would be the best "plan" and "diet" for me? Any resources dedicated specifically to rapid fat loss through the PB on the site anyone could refer me to? Any tips and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Also, I live in Brooklyn and have no idea where to find organic/grass-fed/ HALAL meats. I have asked everywhere....but found nothing of satisfaction. Where in Brooklyn would I find HALAL meats ideal for Primal eating. By the way, I'm on a tight budget too, I mean my husband and I wouldn't mind investing a bit more in our meat towards our health....but we really can't afford to break the bank here! Who can these days?

Stats:
    Weight: 165-175 (Haven't checked in the last month...but I look bigger lately)
    BMI: 30-33
    Height: 5ft1"
    Diet: Rice,Bread,MEAT MEAT MEAT! NO FISH! I don't like fish......only salmon! LOVE SALMON! No VEGGIES AT ALL! I can't stand salads....need to figure out a way to add them in somehow!
    Exercise: Near to zero! I mean about 3-4 times a week I go for long walks lasting from 35-60 mins each with my husband, usually pushing a large baby stroller. But nothing other than that...all day sitter!

Goals:
    Weigh 100-110lbs!
    Tone up a ton!
    Get me some ROCK SOLID ABS!
    Become VERY active.
    Enjoy tons of sun!
    Eat freely without guilt for the first time.
    STOP THESE STOMACH ACHES!!!!
    Last edited by MumtazG38; 07-15-2010 at 12:33 PM.

BayouPrimal is offline Member
    I am assuming that you have read Mark's book. If not, get it. Other than that...

- Cut carbs to below 50 grams/day. Register with a site like fitday.com to track your food calories and fat/protein/carb ratios
    - Cut grains, corn, beans, sugar, diary, etc.
    - Get back on those long walks as often as possible
    - Get the cookbook. My wife and I are food nerds and were running out of our own made-up primal meals. The cookbook has lots of great ideas for primal meals.

invino77 is offline Senior Member
    veggies are really important. you need to start eating them. You may start to like them when you ditch rice.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Veggies are debatable, try lots of different ones and see what works for you. Me, I prefer meat as the main deal, with a side of veggies for flavour / texture / colour / variety. My diet usually ends up about 2/3 meat to 1/3 veg, by volume.

That's probably the reverse of the PB "pyramid", but people on this forum range from mainly veg with a bit of fish, right through to meat only.

Mind you, my tastes have changed, so keep trying veggies you think you don't like! Just pick out something that looks bright and fresh, sniff it to see if it smells nice. I am frequently found putting back "non smelly" packs of tomatoes!

Have a look at these:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Picture3..jpg

Picture4..jpg

Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by BayouPrimal View Post
    I am assuming that you have read Mark's book. If not, get it. Other than that...

- Cut carbs to below 50 grams/day. Register with a site like fitday.com to track your food calories and fat/protein/carb ratios
    - Cut grains, corn, beans, sugar, diary, etc.
    - Get back on those long walks as often as possible
    - Get the cookbook. My wife and I are food nerds and were running out of our own made-up primal meals. The cookbook has lots of great ideas for primal meals.
    Yes I've read the book and this is how I found the site! Mark's book is definitely a GIFT FROM HEAVEN! THANK YOU MARK!!!

well....point 1, 2 and 3 are check marked done. I've been thinking about the cookbook for a few weeks now, I think I'll simply just have to get it as I am a huge FOODIE! Need loads of different tastes throughout the week.....love garlic and herb flavored food, I basically live on strong flavors! I'll eat a whole jumbo bowl of Fattoush (arabic salad with grilled chicken strips, flavored with loads of olive oil and vinegar dressing) in one go even if the chicken's missing! It just HAS TO HAVE BOLD FLAVOR!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    Veggies are debatable, try lots of different ones and see what works for you. Me, I prefer meat as the main deal, with a side of veggies for flavour / texture / colour / variety. My diet usually ends up about 2/3 meat to 1/3 veg, by volume.

That's probably the reverse of the PB "pyramid", but people on this forum range from mainly veg with a bit of fish, right through to meat only.

Mind you, my tastes have changed, so keep trying veggies you think you don't like! Just pick out something that looks bright and fresh, sniff it to see if it smells nice. I am frequently found putting back "non smelly" packs of tomatoes!

Have a look at these:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Picture3..jpg

Picture4..jpg

Keep us posted!
    I've already read the PB 101 and it's incredibly helpful on top of the book! I guess I'll just have to trial my tastes for a bit until I find somethings I like....I'm sure I can incorporate veggies (heavily flavored) like carrots, broccoli and leafy greens....but that's as far as my tastes may let me venture. I love broccoli with melted cheese....or salads that are flavored with vinegars. Not so much a fan of salads with nuts in them though....hmmm...well, like you said....I shall explore. But even so, I don't think my diet will change so much in the sense that meat will always be 2/3 and veggies 1/3 like yours. Except maybe lunch....I like Fattoush for lunch.