Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craving Fat page

Mr B Guest

Shop Now

That's what I do and have for a few years now.

A lot of times you hear during times of stress and such people craving sugary/starchy foods.

I never crave such. For as long as I can remember I crave fatty/greasy foods.

Even the times in the past when I chowed down on pizza or hamburgers, it wasn't because they had bread...it was because of the greasy fat aspect.

One of my favorite meals is baked wild salmon, baked with butter (the best part is the skin) and steamed broccoli with butter.

When I eat in restaurants, I ususally choose the dishes with least amount of starches, but will drench everything in Ranch dressing (even though it's "bad" fat).

All that is to say...I crave fat.

What's the deal? lol

musajen is offline Junior Member

I'm reading this book called Primal Body - Primal Mind and it spends a lot time talking about fat. To summarize: Fat is good, the body, especially the brain, prefers it to any other food as an energy source.

In fact, in the absence of fat in the diet (a signal of famine to the body), the body will start storing carbs and excess protein as fat. In the hands of a high-carb diet, the body becomes rusty with metabolizing fat as an energy source so a conversion to a low-carb diet can be tricky as the body has to get back into the practice of using fat for fuel.

I'd say that craving fat is a sign your body relies on fat as an energy source over carbs and when the cravings hits, you're just needing more energy. It's your body working efficiently.

Or you're just a freak of nature. Take your pick.

RogerDeRok is offline Member

I've always had similar cravings. I used to always crave pizza, burgers, fries, and nachos over pies, cakes, and candy.

I still get cravings for both but avoid them all.

Bacon fixes most cravings.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I crave fatty foods too. When I cut out the dairy completely I got some horrible carb cravings, but they eventually subsided. It's all about the fats, baby.

Mr B Guest

Well, and I've wondered, for me personally, if it isn't also a throwback to when I was a teenager. Had pretty bad acne and the dermatologist I went to told me to make my diet as fat-free as possible. Which I did because I was an obsessed little freak like that. lol

So I basically spent all of high school and part of college doing my damnedest to not eat fat.

A few years ago when I started reading more on nutrition and making the transition to little or not starches and more fat, is when I noticed that when I was experiencing normal hunger or during extremely stressful periods the fat cravings kicked in.

musajen is offline Junior Member

My best guess is that your body has sort of reset itself from your high-carb days and now views fat as your primary fuel source. When it needs fuel, it wants what it's grown accustomed to utilizing. Not a bad place to be.

Mr B Guest

True that. Definitely enjoy eating this way more.

Riceball Guest

fat and salt are the two things that brings out the flavor of food the most. therefore it's only natural that u like fatty food.

actually..check your salt intake, cuz u don't want to eat too much salt..if ur food is salty greesy, it's quite easy that you crave for it. a lot of times it might be just the craving of greasy salty taste...which is not always healthy.

if ur salt intake level too high, try gradually lower the salt, adjust ur taste to milder food, and u'll find yourself concentrating on the natural flavour of the food itself, and not the salt or the extra flavouring. (actually different fat has different flavor as well), and u get satisfied through these senses instead of just..salty grease. and u'll crave the "greasy taste" less.

Ecala is offline Junior Member

What's wrong with salt?

I think as long as blood pressure is good, salt is fine... isn't it?

Riceball Guest

nothing is really wrong with salt..

Salt is actually helpful to digestion and assimilation. and it's also necessary for the development and functioning of the nervous system.

only over-consumption of salt increases the risk of blood pressure problems and heart problems.

but the thing is... most of the products we could get are made with table salt, which is sodium chloride..an inorganic sodium compound that causes the body to retain fluid.

high salt in fat(especially in food over night) produces sodium nitrite, and it increases the cancer risk

so...firstly, eat natrual salt, like sea salt or bamboo salt, they taste better too =) then ...try not to eat too much of it..cuz it over rides the natrual flavour of food and makes u really thirsty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast