Thread: Dry eyes and sties page

jomaja is offline Junior Member

Dry eyes and sties

Shop Now
    Hi,
    I've been on the paleo diet now for over a year and have managed to normalize my blood pressure, my digestive issues are gone (I was diagnosed with IBS) and my chronic sinus infections are almost completely gone (if I get them they never get as bad or painful as they used to be and they vanish quickly).
    I still have one issue to combat, and that is my dry eyes. I've been diagnosed with blepharitis and this may also cause sties, which are now popping up regularly (for some reason only in my left eye). They are small and never really painful but constantly visible on the inside of the lower lid.
    I have lately given up creams (after giving up shampoos and deos) to see if things will approve. I'm using coconut oil now only (Is coconut oil for the face a good idea?)
    Has anyone had similar problems? If yes, any tips how to get rid of this problem?
    Many thanks in advance!
    Johan

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    The most common way to help prevent them is consistent use of warm compresses, basically putting a hot cloth over the eyes for a few minutes, followed by massaging the lids to express the meibomian glands. A stye is often caused by these glands backing up, being closed off, so the body walls it off to create a cystic pocket. Preventing their early formation is the best way to stop them.

Blepharitis is a general term and it often includes MGD, or meibomian gland dysfunction, and many times the little elevations you are seeing on the lower lid are actually capped up glands, not cysts per se. Any kind of oil or creams will only exacerbate this problem. The idea is to help to express the glands yourself to prevent them backing up.

Hope this helps. I am an ophthalmologist.
    "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Vainamoinen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jomaja View Post
    I still have one issue to combat, and that is my dry eyes. I've been diagnosed with blepharitis and this may also cause sties, which are now popping up regularly (for some reason only in my left eye). They are small and never really painful but constantly visible on the inside of the lower lid.
    Johan
    Dry eyes can be a sign of vitamin A deficiency - as can increased susceptibility to eye infections.

I obviously don't know if this is so in your case, but it seems like it could be a possibility.

And here is one area where Paleo has not been particularly helpful. There's a tendency to harp on about vitamin D and encourage high doses of that vitamin, but the other fat-soluble vitamins tend to get passed over. But you need them all, and you need them to be in balance:

Is Vitamin D Safe? Still Depends on Vitamins A and K! Testimonials and a Human Study | Weston A Price

Do you usually eat foods that are rich in fat-soluble vitamins - the chief of which would be liver?

If you don't, perhaps that would be something to add to your diet.

If you're taking vitamin D, you might experiment with instead taking a good quality cod liver oil - which will supply A as well as D. AFAIK, there are only two cod liver oils on the market that are all-natural, high strength and have no synthetic vitamins added.

This one:

EVCLO | Extra Virgin Cod Liver Oil

And this one:

Cod Liver Oil - Green Pasture

The latter is fermented and so stronger tasting than the former - and does upset some people's stomachs - but both are good products.
    Last edited by Vainamoinen; 04-21-2015 at 10:03 AM.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I get styes from cheap coffee. I switched to better coffee and avoid the garbage at work ( I think it might have cigarette butts in it, tastes like dead stuff as soon as it starts to cool off ) and all my styes went away. You can tell a good coffee from a bad coffee by how it tastes cold, like after an hour of sitting in a cup. It should still be mellow, smooth and easy to drink black. If it's extremely bitter, has weird flavors like mold, or just seems chemical-laden while cold, then stop drinking it hot. Many people have never had a good cup of plain, black coffee and are afraid to try it after having tasted some pretty common, awful stuff. But both Trader Joe's Wake-Up Blend or Grocery Outlet's Organic whole bean coffees are amazing compared to many popular brands. Just remember not to pre-grind your beans, they will go rancid within hours.

That's all I've got. Alternatively, try to reduce inflammation by eating more dandelion, green tea, etc.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html