Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Another Journal - The Wigglyworms Edition page

wigglyworms is online now Junior Member

Just Another Journal - The Wigglyworms Edition

Shop Now
    Jeeze, I felt way too much pressure trying to name this thing!

So, I'm wigglyworms, also known as G. I'm a 22 *cough*21 for the second time*cough* year old college student living in Ohio. I came across MDA just over a month-ish ago, and jumped headfirst into the lifestyle on April 16th of this year. In one thread I said I'd already been doing this a month but really this Monday was my one month mark, I just can't count.

Back in high school, I was able to keep my skinny fat (but mostly fat) body and eat whatever I wanted...convenient, since I worked at a pizza place that let us eat anything and everything we wanted. And I would promptly wash it all down with a liter or two of the free fountain pop we had there. Urgh.

Fast forward a few years, I moved and started college when I was 20, and did sort of okay maintaining weight, despite guzzling beer and every carb laden food I could get my hands on. I was on the Depo birth control shot for a year or more at that point, and it actually helped me maintain my weight (luckily). Decided I needed MORE convenience, so I got the Nexplanon implant. That, in culmination with the diet and no exercise, caused me to gain 35 pounds in less than 8 months. Got that damn thing out of my arm and back on Depo, and now I'm trying to repair the damage and make my body happy and healthy.

I saw the scale hit 200 pounds about a month and a half ago and panicked, knowing I had to do something and fast. About a week or two after that I found MDA, and I've been sticking to it fairly well since then. I haven't been able to incorporate much in the PB exercise area, but this week I started ding T25 videos as it's the first exercise I ever thought was fun and was able to stick to. I figure so long as I start moving more, it's a step in the right direction. Baby steps, of course!

Height: 5'4
    HW: 200
    SW: ~190
    CW: 178
    GW: 140 (haven't seen that since middle school)

I've been creeping and rarely posting on the forums this whole time, but I wanted to say there are a few names I've grown familiar with over this last month, and I appreciate the community here. I hope to get to know some of you!

I don't exactly plan on writing in this every day, just when the mood strikes, but I had some awesome conversations last night with some family members and the boyfriend (okay they were all via text but still)...I never liked to talk about my weight woes with my fella because I thought if I ignored it and pretended it wasn't an issue maybe he wouldn't notice the fat that's been packing itself on over the years. Now I'm learning to find great comfort in talking to him about my concerns and anxieties, and also my successes. When I was entrenched in CW, I knew better than to celebrate a few lost pounds or inches, because I knew they'd be back. It made me feel like a failure, so I just kept it to myself. I taught him what I've learned about insulin and all that last night, and boy is he great...he genuinely takes an interest, and while he's still stick thin and can inhale whatever he wants without worry, I bet one day when we're done with school and doing the marriage thing he'll be totally on board with eating primally. Hell, that's all I cook anymore so he eats a primal diet every weekend :P he has grown up a lot since we started dating in high school, and is very sweet and supportive. It's nice to have that.

During my conversation with him last night, I talked about how all these years on CW crap I thought something was wrong with me, or I just wasn't trying hard enough. But now I feel free! And so relieved. There is nothing wrong with me, I was just sorely misinformed. If anything, that has been the best experience/feeling since going primal.

And, another win, my brother has happily agreed to switch from pasta to spaghetti squash, after I prodded him to think what they feed livestock to fatten them, and what we're encouraged to eat. Same thing. Hehe. Baby steps.
    Last edited by wigglyworms; 04-16-2015 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Phone was rebelling against apostrophes :3

vh67 is online now Senior Member
    Hi G!

Sounds like you are doing great at the weight loss! I wish I knew what I know now when I was your age. Things would have so much easier and healthier!

I am going to be moving to Ohio soon, hopefully in the next couple of months. What do you think of it? The winter weather scares me a little but I am a native Californian with little to no experience driving in the ice and snow.

Rig D is offline Senior Member
    Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    Good stuff with bf and bro. Cheering for you to have success with your primal efforts.
    How are you doing with your mom & pop grocery?
    The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Rig D is offline Senior Member
    Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    I am going to be moving to Ohio soon, hopefully in the next couple of months. What do you think of it? The winter weather scares me a little but I am a native Californian with little to no experience driving in the ice and snow.
    VH67--Where in Ohio? I'm in the Dayton area, nobody here, even the natives, can drive in the ice and snow, fortunately not that big a problem as the highways are cleared pretty well, pretty quickly. Weather here is too cloudy for my taste, winters are cold and clammy, summers are hot and humid. I'm from the deep south, and it gets uncomfortable here in mid summer. Winters are pretty cold, but not nearly as bad as they were when I was in Deeeeeeeeetroit,MI. I would expect if you are in the northern tier of Ohio, from Toledo over to Cleveland it will be a pretty long, cloudy, and cold winter, with a good bit more snow up there from the lakes,

For what it's worth, I've worked with a number of ex-Californians in Michigan and Florida. Almost to a person, they arrived with a desire to move back, and never lost that. Most of these from So. Cal. Personally, in my biz visits to LA and San Diego, I didn't see the big appeal.
    The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

vh67 is online now Senior Member
    I am planning on Columbus. I don't see the appeal of So Cal either! I live in the SF Bay area now but used to live a little further north where 100-110 degree days were normal in the summer. Thank you for the info on driving. And sorry Wiggles for hijacking your journal!

Aw hello again Rig D! Truthfully, I haven't tried my shopping there as of yet but I will pop in this weekend to keep my word :P

Vh67-I do feel undeniably lucky to have found this site and started learning at this age. but it's never too late don't worry about hijacking, no biggie! My gut reaction was to say I hate Ohio but I'd be doing you an injustice if I said that :P I hate being cold. Despise it. So winter can suck, but somehow I love a good snow storm and in my head I urge them on when they happen. It's cool to see nature do its thing! I grew up in a little farming town an hour or so north of columbus. Very pretty land, and most people are nice. You'll get a hang of the driving in no time. First big storm, find a parking lot and go wild
    Last edited by wigglyworms; 04-16-2015 at 02:51 PM. Reason: typo queen

Absence, disappointment and bloating...what's a girl to do?

School has just been a nightmare this summer, and I've been so focused on that, all my personal life stuff has kind of been falling apart. Only 54 days til the semester is done, but who's counting? I'm happy to report in that I have been successfully primal for exactly 90 days now, although it feels much longer!

I finally started working out again last week, although not true to PB...I've been doing Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred and some 30 day plank challenge I found an app for. I got some heavier weights a few weeks ago but I couldn't stick to a schedule. At this point in my life I do much better with a video to workout alongside. It's better than sitting and doing nothing!

I've got to admit, I'm not really thrilled with my "results" these days..I do feel better, sleep better etc and I know health is priority #1, but I do so wish to have lost more inches and be feeling better about myself. I put my scale away because I thought it was discouraging me (and at the urging of a wise friend), but temptation was too strong! I weighed in one day this week at 172 (woo!) And the next day was back stuck at 175. I'm totally aware that weight fluctuates and is dependant on hydration, food, etc, but I'd hoped for more than this in 3 months. I do think my stomach area has gotten a bit smaller, and I've lost some inches on my hips, but I don't feel very different in clothes (my true measurement system) and so I'm feeling a bit disheartened.

Also, if anyone reads this and has any insight, I'm having a hell of a time with bloating after meals..I have always been the person who, before breakfast, will put on jeans and a tight-ish shirt and it would be pretty okay looking, no rolls or flab, but immediately after I eat my belly puffs out and I'd better go change my shirt or be self conscious the rest of the day. This happens pre and post primal. I don't have issues with dairy, and breakfast is always eggs with some kind of veggie and plenty of butter. And hot sauce! Can't forget hot sauce.

Anyway, thanks for reading if you did, and sorry for any typos, I'm doing this off my cellphone so I'm a bit clumsy, even for a young'n.

Little victories

Back again! I'm trying to be a little more active on here, so I can look back in a few months and see where I was. I'm feeling pretty okay this week. My boyfriend is finally getting to come down and see me after a month which is awesome. 4th of July was our first date like 5 years ago so we always always see fireworks haha most important holiday of the year relationship-wise. And this year we're going to watch them on my college campus, so we can just walk there. No waiting forever to get on the road in a car once it's over, woo!

In primal news, I had a victory this week. I decided to weigh myself and was pleasantly surprised to see I am 169lbs!! Woohoo under 170! I was at a stand still there for a little while because I wasn't exercising. I'm almost finished with the 30 Day Shred (level 3 is awesome, lots of planks and lunges and squats, love it) and I'm almost done with week 2 of C25K which is also cool. I have never been a runner (okay let's be real, I'm jogging, and barely faster than walking speed) but I feel very accomplished after I finish each day. Once I started c25k I really started to notice a difference in my legs, which have always been rather large. I told a friend of mine that I looked at myself and thought, "holy hell...I don't HAVE to have big legs?? They can be lean and look good in shorts?!" That had never occurred to me lol. Definitely seeing a difference in fat distribution in my legs, and it makes me very happy.

These workouts have a lot of cardio involvement, which I know is generally not our preferred exercise, but I feel like I do have quite a bit of fat left to lose and this is helping, on top of giving me a morale boost. After 30 Day Shred I'm thinking of either doing Ripped in 30 or 21 Day Fix (sans meal plans of course!!) I really like workout videos, as they keep me accountable and give me little goals to hit with each move. They help me stay motivated, since any time I tried to work out any other way I didn't feel like I "had" to do it...so I just didn't! Lol and that's what landed me where I am. Anyway, feeling good, losing inches, gonna see my fella and watch stuff explode. It's a good week! Hope yours is good too

Calorie confusion

Learn More
    I know, calories, blech...but I wasn't getting the results I wanted when I ate primal foods to satiety, whenever I get hungry. I also haven't mastered the whole "rarely feeling hungry" thing that people talk about on here from time to time. So, lazily counting calories a few days a week (since my meals are similar day to day).

Here's my question: let's say my calorie budget is 1200 kcals, and I burn, say, 200 working out. Do I eat those back or no..? My mind says yes, since the 1400 already accounts for a deficit for the week, and I wouldn't want to make that too wide of a deficit. Just throwing those numbers out there, my Loseit! app tells me I can have like 1450ish a day. If anyone sees this and can give some clarity, I'd be much obliged.

On working out, I finish 30 day shred tomorrow, will be taking pictures for myself to compare. Did it 30 days straight and I'm very proud of myself for that! I missed my Tuesday walk/jog for C25K, since Ohio apparently doesn't know how to stop raining, but I went today and was pleasantly surprised with how I did. I'm in week 3, so it's 90sec jog, 90sec walk, 3min jog, 3min walk, do that whole thing twice. When I did it the first time Sunday I thought I'd frickin die during the second 3min jog, but this time I felt motivated and really pushed through, no problems. In fact, I intentionally went out farther than normal so I could throw in some sprints on the way back and still have a cool down walk. Man, I forgot how fun it was to run all out like a kid. Loved it. Had better tunes today too. Gonna do it again tomorrow to stay on track since I feel so good.

That's another thing I need to pay more attention to...how I feel. I'm not giving that the applause it deserves. Trying to focus on overall health is very hard in the face of cellulite and wondering how endless stretch marks will look over rock hard quads (ha). Still getting bloated, which I talked about in a previous entry, which stinks a bit but I have noticed my pre-breakfast belly flubber isn't as pronounced as it was. Been thinking about fasting through brekkie and just eating at lunch. We'll see if I can do that, I'm usually ravenous in the mornings! Also gonna chop out dairy next week, I've been going kinda heavy on (low quality) cheese, so I wanna see if it helps things along to remove it.

Less than 30 days left in this semester, it'll be a miracle if I pass this 8 credit hour class! Kicking my butt. I think that's all for now, just rambling at this point. Thanks for reading if you did!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast