Thread: Somebody help me stick to my guns! page

Green_Mom is offline Junior Member

Somebody help me stick to my guns!

Shop Now
    This is not only my first time posting to MDA, it's my first time posting to any sort of internet forum EVER. What can I say? Definitely a bit of a technophobe, or whatever. But I need help! I started reading MDA in January of 2015, 3 months later, having experimented with this lifestyle/diet, and feeling good, I'm still having a TON of trouble "sticking to my guns". I usually slip up with my eating--OK- slip up is an understatement--in the evening when I'm totally depleted from the day's many demands. Work is VERY demanding, and family life, although truly a blessing, is also very stressful and draining, with my unbelievably high-energy children. Anyhow.... I'd better cut to the chase :

Eating goals: eat primal for the next 3 months, or, let's say, until the 4th of July

Weight loss goals: lose 15 lbs in the next 3 months. (Currently, I'm a pleasantly plump 130 lbs, and would like to reach 115 lbs. 5 foot 2, eyes of blue.)

Exercise goals: jog/run every day. To be more specific, I'd like to run 5.6 miles 3-4X a week, and do a bit of seriously easy jogging on all other days (I'm a good jogger, so this part is easy, not at all strenuous). I also want to start incorporating sprints! Not sure how often.

Weight training goals: uggghh! this is the hard part for me!! I'd like to start doing body weight exercises, push-ups, etc., at home when the kids are asleep. I don't belong to a gym. How often? I dunno, every other day?

Feel good goals: pretty much that. I want to feel good. About my life. My mind. My body. I also don't want to spend too much energy thinking about food.

Now can somebody PLEASE be my accountability buddy?

Rig D is offline Senior Member
    Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    Go for it, I'll be glad to part of your support team. I'm a guy, so hopefully you can get some gals to help out also. Recommend your primary emphasis be on the "feel good" objective. If you can make this one happen, the weight one will come along on its own pace.

Your exercise sounds good, I'm more of a "walking" type due to a bad knee, so do my sprints on an Air-Dyne. Suggest doing the sprints 1 or two times a week. I'd stage these and do something like my baseball coach back in the olden days had us do in sprinting the straights, walking the curves on our track. This is the concept, doing it on a track is way too boring, but that's the idea, go like crazy, then let yourself rest up and go again, repeat till gassed.

I'm not a weight training type either, so can't provide any advice here. Suggest browsing for info, there is a serious group of weight training people here, but I think more in tune to the actual weight room experience than just body weight stuff. I suggest looking at Mark's intro materials, he has the four core exercises. If you can do planks, squats, sit ups, push ups, and pull ups (I know, that is 5), that will give you a good work out. Start easy, work up repetitions and possibly add some weight as needed. I'd also explore and find some flexibility exercises, as a runner you may need to especially pay attention to your legs. Back "in the day" I always had issues with my legs getting tight when I would be doing a lot of running to stay in shape for baseball and football.

Best way of handling the food is to get the whole family on board, that way you can cut out the junque you buy at the store so you don't have a lot of temptations in the house. Don't know how easy this might be with your kids, but maybe you can work to phase them in.
    The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

platini is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Green_Mom

I'll be your accountability buddy! (& maybe you can be mine...)

I'm a bit in the same boat as you, only started cutting out grains about 3 weeks ago (after cutting out wheat, was really pleased to find that was the key to keeping my sugar intake down as I have been struggling to do this on and off for months, got a serious sweet tooth!) and started feeling the benefits quite quickly.

However, and it's a big however, I'm finding it hard to keep on track. IF has helped a lot (tried different versions over the last 6 months and have gravitated towards 16:8, which I've actually enjoyed doing). But, the odd bit of chocolate or ice-cream pops in and then it's the slippery slope.

Like you, I don't want it to get complicated and I don't want to get obsessed with food, but I really need some way of tracking what I eat day-to-day, at least until I can trust myself to stick with it. I have used the MyFitnessPal app to track what I'm eating, like you said it's not just about calorie-counting and losing weight, but maybe I just need to carry on with that.

If you want to compare notes or just post how you're getting on, I'll be reading & will help out with encouragement too :-)