Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking on taking iodine, need some advice. page

Lockstock is offline Senior Member

Thinking on taking iodine, need some advice.

Thrive Market
    Hey
    Thinking on taking iodine for a range of problems including fluoride removal. I heard some people take Lugos iodine?

What brand should I get and what dosage etc etc?

John Caton is offline Senior Member
    Lockstock, J. Crow's lugol solution is the most popular. It is a mix of elemental iodine and potassium iodide. I am biased in favor of potassium iodide so I've used liquid kelp to get it. I haven't read anything to exclude lugols solution. Some people use SSKI which is saturated potassium iodide. I would be more inclined to use it, rather than lugols, if I had to choose between the two, simply because I believe the iodide version to be easier to use than the elemental version.

Dosage is controversial. I've taken 50 mg of iodine daily, using liquid kelp, for 3 months. Then, I titrated down and now maintain with seafood. I estimate that I average about 1 mg daily now.
    Stop by to visit at primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Lockstock is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Caton View Post
    Lockstock, J. Crow's lugol solution is the most popular. It is a mix of elemental iodine and potassium iodide. I am biased in favor of potassium iodide so I've used liquid kelp to get it. I haven't read anything to exclude lugols solution. Some people use SSKI which is saturated potassium iodide. I would be more inclined to use it, rather than lugols, if I had to choose between the two, simply because I believe the iodide version to be easier to use than the elemental version.

Dosage is controversial. I've taken 50 mg of iodine daily, using liquid kelp, for 3 months. Then, I titrated down and now maintain with seafood. I estimate that I average about 1 mg daily now.
    I saw the J crows lugol iodine. Its also fairly cheap.
    I may have to give it a go.
    What benefits did you get out of it?

John Caton is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post
    I saw the J crows lugol iodine. Its also fairly cheap.
    I may have to give it a go.
    What benefits did you get out of it?
    I did not notice any obvious benefits, but I knew my eating history likely had left me deficient. I supplemented to insure levels were raised and I now maintain with seafood.

I have only had noticeable benefits from two biohacks. The first and most noticeable benefit was when I went low carb, and the second most noticeable benefit has been my recent increase of resistant starch. Unless one has thyroid issues due to iodine deficiency, you might not notice apparent benefits, despite them being numerous.
    Stop by to visit at primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Badgerfaced is offline Senior Member
    I take Iodoral, which 1 tab = 12.5mg.

You need to titrate up SLOWLY

There is no benefit from doing it quickly, but there are LOADS of side effects (bromide detox) that range from rashes to insomnia to irritibality.

I took 1/4 tab once a week for 2 weeks, then a half a week for 2 weeks. I did feel like pushing it to see what would happen and took 2 halves in a week and bang insomnia and irratibility that day and the next. Weird rushing feelings too.

I did the lugols skin patch test (not definitive but a good general marker) on day 1 and it lasted 3 hours. Did it last week after a month of supps and it lasted 10 hours.

My aim is to take 12.5mg a day for a few months, they say after a year you should have sufficent levels and only need to 'top up' with food sources like oysters.

While there are also no immediately identifiable benefits, when you read about it what iodone does in the body, and know how low you are, you can't not benefit from taking it IMO.
    I heartily reccommend iodone supplementation.

There is a reallt great thread on here called Iodine I think, several pages of anecdotal info an useful links
    Last edited by Badgerfaced; 04-03-2015 at 07:31 AM.
    "I reserve the right to say stupid things"

Starkanda is offline Member
    I just started iodine too, but nowhere near the doses you guys are talking about. RDA (I know, take with a grain of salt) say 150 micrograms, and you guys are in the milligrams?? Is that way overkill, or should I be taking more? Suspect my thyroid could use a little help, and don't get as much seafood as I should. Also nursing, so I read many kelp supplements are contaminated (which contaminant escapes me) with something no good for baby so I avoid it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Badgerfaced is offline Senior Member
    yes, RDA iodine is WAY uderstated, it was apparently set at the level to prevent goiter, not for optimal function
    and yes unfortunately many ocean sources are contaminted to varying degrees with a plethora of contaminants. real bummer IMO as I woud far prefer to eat ocean foods than take a pill!

Edited to add : just been informed that both my sister and my mum have stopped taking their thyroid medication recently as a result of taking Iodoral.

WOOHOO!!!!!
    Last edited by Badgerfaced; 04-03-2015 at 10:06 AM.
    "I reserve the right to say stupid things"

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Did they simply stop on their own, or were their symptoms alleviated to such an extent that doctors agreed to let them go off, and monitors their reactions? I take a mild natural thyroid pill daily, but also 6.25 (half a 12.5 mg Iodoral pill) several times a week, along with 200 mcg selenium. You have to take selenium to get full benefit from iodine.

Jennifla is offline Senior Member
    Badgerfaced, do your sister and mom have hashimoto's?
    As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

SpitFire is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I went to a natural doc and I had a few things out of whack. Thyroid was one. He has me taking 2 Iodoral per day. I only started yesterday so I'll be on the lookout for those side effects!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast