Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goal: 21% to 18% Body Fat in 30 days page

KimLean125byMar15 is offline Senior Member

Goal: 21% to 18% Body Fat in 30 days

Shop Now
    The goal of my 2nd (and hopefully last) journal is to monitor my progress from 21% to 18% body fat over the next 30 days. In the last 3 mths I dropped from 32% to 21% using mostly high intensity cardio on avg 1-2 hrs/day 5x/wk. I like spinning (standing climbs) and elliptical, set to high resistance and maintain 75-95% max HR. Plus some swimming, hiking and recently added running and rowing.

This round, Iíll shorten the cardio and incorporate resistance training using mostly body weight exercises, dumbells etc. I expect that this will be the toughest month yet so I really hope Iíll stay focused and consistent.

Rather than setting a goal wt this time, Iíll continue to focus on body measurements and BF%. This has proved to be a more reliable tracking method than finicky scale weight, especially considering I gained 4.5 lbs of lean mass, which was unexpected. Now with proper resistance training, I have no idea what final # to expect so Iíll just let my weight do what it do!

Diet-wise, I eat primarily whole natural unprocessed foods. The only restrictions at the moment are legumes due to heartburn issues. In the last 3 mths, Iíve come to fully embrace a flexible approach and no longer feel deprived or constantly fighting cravings or the associated guilt when I cave in. If I feel like some ice cream, I have some ice cream. I do however limit the indulgence foods to 1500-2500 cal/week. I feel much better when I eat intuitively and this formula has worked quite well so far.

Current macros: 55-60% carbs, 25% protein, 15-20% fat and 1400Ė1700 cals/day.
    Energy In (corrected for digestion) - [(RMR(Resting Metabolic Rate) + TEF(Thermic Effect of Food) + TEA(Thermic Effect of Activity) + NEAT(Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis)] = Change in Body Stores

From: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...-equation.html

Goal setting: Before and After

Calculator used: Body Fat Calculator

Start Date: 12/25/14
    Ht/Wt - 5'5"/151 lbs
    Neck - 12.25 inches
    Waist - 31 inches
    Hips - 39 inches

BMI - 25.13 (category - overweight)
    Body Fat - 31.7% (category - obese!)
    Lean Mass – 103 lbs
    Fat Mass – 48 lbs

Current: 3/31/15
    Neck - 12 inches (down 0.25 inches)
    Waist – 26.25 inches (down 4.75 inches)
    Hips – 35.25 inches (down 3.75 inches)

BMI - 22.63 (down 2.5)(category - normal)
    Body Fat – 21% - (Down 10.7%)(category - Fit)
    Lean Mass – 107.5 lbs (UP 4.5 lbs)
    Fat Mass – 28.5 lbs (down 19.5 lbs)
    Weight – 136 lbs (down 15 lbs net)

Goal: 4/30/15
    Neck - 12 inches
    Waist – 25 inches
    Hips – 34 inches
    Body Fat – 17.5% (category - Athletic)

Other Notable Losses so far:
    Arm - down 1.75 inches
    Shoulders - down 2 inches
    Chest(at armpit lvl) - down 2.5 inches
    Belly - down 4 inches
    Thigh - down 1.75 inches
    Energy In (corrected for digestion) - [(RMR(Resting Metabolic Rate) + TEF(Thermic Effect of Food) + TEA(Thermic Effect of Activity) + NEAT(Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis)] = Change in Body Stores

Pamela M is offline Senior Member

"This round, Iíll shorten the cardio and incorporate resistance training using mostly body weight exercises, dumbells etc. I expect that this will be the toughest month yet so I really hope Iíll stay focused and consistent."

I suspect this will be a positive move forward.

"Rather than setting a goal wt this time, Iíll continue to focus on body measurements and BF%. This has proved to be a more reliable tracking method than finicky scale weight, especially considering I gained 4.5 lbs of lean mass, which was unexpected. Now with proper resistance training, I have no idea what final # to expect so Iíll just let my weight do what it do!"

Exactly. And this is what I appreciate about your journey. Taking stock, and switching things up if necessary.

"I feel much better when I eat intuitively and this formula has worked quite well so far."

Join the club.
    Last edited by Pamela M; 03-31-2015 at 01:32 PM.

Switching up the exercise turned out to be not so easy. Maybe because I put that expectation in my mind and it became a self fulfilling prophecy. And the difficulty wasn't in the workout itself but in just getting started. I may be harboring some misgivings about my own ability.

But as you say, it should be a positive step. At least in theory, it's a no-brainer. But I've created this image of what I want my body to look like in a few months and incredibly, even though I've come quite some distance, it seems like an insurmountable task. I really need to snap out of it and grow some self confidence.

I'll try to take it one day at a time and try and believe that change will happen if I work hard enough.

Food: Oatmeal w/milk & sugar, tea, grapefruit.

Exercise: 1hr 15 min of Jillian Michaels and Tony Horton Youtube videos:
    -JM 30 day shred
    -JM 6 wk 6 pack
    -TH Shredded upper body
    -TH Burpee burner
    *This week, I'll explore going back to two-a-days and see how it goes.

happyhel is offline Senior Member
    Stalking again ! Fabulous results so far x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Thanks Happyhel! Are we there yet? Hope you and baby are doing great!

Food: Whole wheat crepes, eggs, oatmeal w/milk & sugar, tea, cocoa, grapefruit, papaya.

Exercise: 35 min body weight workout (Youtube-GymRa-C.Khuri)
    *That's all I did today despite best intentions to do more. Perhaps it's the soreness from yesterday's w/o.
    *I'm re-thinking my plan to replace my previous high intensity cardio with 100% body weight exercises.
    *I think instead it should be a supplement. Otherwise the calorie deficit math will not add up.
    *To maintain the current 107 lb lean mass, at 18% body fat, I'd need to be at (107/0.82)=130 lb
    *That's 6 lbs of fat away x3500 = 21,000 calories. Only 28 days left, less 4 rest days=24 exercise days. So 21,000/24=875 cals/day deficit is required. Allowing for whatnot, lets call that 1000 cal/day to be safe.
    *As much as I've sweated over the last 2 days, I can't swear that the bodyweight ex will be enough to cover this deficit.
    *As usual, I'd rather not eat less calories/carbs because I need the energy to work out at high intensity...or else I'll crash and burn like I did in February.
    *A reasonable balance might be 1hr high intensity cardio and 30 min body weight w/o. Will try this for next few days and see what happens.
    Last edited by KimLean125byMar15; 04-02-2015 at 08:29 PM.

happyhel is offline Senior Member
    No baby yet ..... getting fed up and very very fat! !! I am 38 weeks. ....

You are an inspiration. I may however need to stalk for a while, recover, then start with baby steps to get back to eating normally. And copy and paste from you

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Last couple weeks! All the best and take it easy...if that's possible.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast