Thread: Coconut oil vs Red palm oil page

peril is offline Senior Member

Coconut oil vs Red palm oil

Shop Now
    Recently have tried cooking with both of these oils. First impression is that both are a nuisance as its winter here so they are both solid at room temperature.

Next impression is that they are both distinctly flavoured. Not a bad thing. Coconut oil of course had that pleasant coconut flavour. However, that's not always a good thing as it comes through the flavour of the food being cooked. Fine for Thai curries, but not always what you want. Red palm oil on the other hand has quite an ordinary flavour but it is not so distinctive so doesn't interfere with the flavour of the food.

Finally, the colour of red palm oil does come through in the dish. Not a big problem at all.

Verdict - there is a place for both in my kitchen. Just want to find cheaper sources of them, especially the red palm oil

callherpetrol is offline Member
    i've always thought it was bad to eat palm oil because of the environmental damage making it causes

peril is offline Senior Member
    Red palm oil is an indigenous foodstuff in West Africa. It should not be confused with the massive refined palm oil industry

strom is offline Senior Member
    palm oil is quite hard to find around here. I had to order it from Amazon.