Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: What did I do wrong? page

  1. #1
    Jeff California's Avatar
    Jeff California is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1

    What did I do wrong?

    Shop Now
    Hey everyone, longtime MDA reader, but new to the forums. I'm Jeff and from California. Anyway, I was wondering where I went wrong on my primal diet, or if I went wrong at all.

    So about a 2 months ago, I decided to get really serious about losing weight through my primal diet. I had done primal-like eating before, but never bothered to calorie count and never really lost weight. At 186 lbs and only 5' 9'', I was kind of of fat. Well, skinny-fat, thin arms and legs, but a big belly and multiple chins. But I got mono and lost 10lbs from the disease, so I decided to try and continue on losing weight in a more healthy manner.

    It also happened to coincide with a health and fitness challenge at work, to use an app (called Loseit!) to track our food and exercise for a month.

    The app took my fitness goal, going from 177lbs to 155, and calculated a dietary calorie budget of 1500 calories a day. For the first 3 weeks, I ate no grains (except the breadcrumbs on my chicken), and averaged around 130 grams of carbs a day. And I lost a lot of weight really quickly. Went from 177/176, down to 167 really fast. And I felt great, not really very hungry.

    Then I re-read Mark's weight loss article and he said that the weight loss sweet spot is between 50-100 grams of carbs a day. So I cut my carbs even further and got rid all fruit except for my berry bag that I would eat at lunch (1 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup each raspberries and blueberries). Before this I would snack on a banana before work started, and apple with beef jerky whenever I felt hungry during the day.

    I did that for another 3 weeks and my weight lost completely stalled in the mid 160's, and I started to feel terrible. No energy, always tired. I'd read about carb flu, but this didn't go away after a week. It would only go away after my weekly cheat meal (usually a burger and fries or a couple slices of pizza). I felt hungry all the time. And my weight loss completely stalled in the mid 160's since I went even lower carb.

    So I'm wondering where I went wrong. Should I go back to the higher carb diet?

  2. #2
    Mr. Anthony's Avatar
    Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,074
    1500 calories a day for a grown-ass man is a tragedy in progress.

  3. #3
    purplegorilla's Avatar
    purplegorilla is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    118
    Yes, it was a mistake cutting out fruit. Fruit is incredible for you and a quick and enjoyable and healthy way to get more carbs into your diet.

    Don't go eating pizza and bread though.

    If you feel like some fruit or some potatoes, have some. Sounds like the 130-150 carb range is what you should be aiming for.

  4. #4
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    9,021
    Are you still eating 1500 kCal/day? I just ate more than that for lunch.
    The Champagne of Beards

  5. #5
    Eich's Avatar
    Eich is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    562
    The point of this thing is to eat as much as you want and auto regulate to something very comfortable.

  6. #6
    picklepete's Avatar
    picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,997
    Subtracting 1 pound from overweight is not the same process as from normal weight. 5'9" 160# sounds very normal--if you don't like the contours you could try more strength work or sprinting.

    130g unprocessed carbohydrate is a solid default unlikely to cause problems for most folks.
    35//6'3"/180

    My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

  7. #7
    Kassmo19's Avatar
    Kassmo19 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    36
    The 1,500 calorie thing is wayyyy too little. I'm female and I'm at 2,500-3,000 (when I roughly calculate- I don't count calories or macros) most days. Granted I'm active and focused on strength and muscle, but I would starve to death on 1,500.

  8. #8
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    9,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Kassmo19 View Post
    I'm female and I'm at 2,500-3,000 (when I roughly calculate- I don't count calories or macros) most days. Granted I'm active and focused on strength and muscle, but I would starve to death on 1,500.
    Well hello, Kassmo!
    The Champagne of Beards

  9. #9
    gergirl's Avatar
    gergirl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Old Europe
    Posts
    524
    Quote Originally Posted by Kassmo19 View Post
    The 1,500 calorie thing is wayyyy too little. I'm female and I'm at 2,500-3,000 (when I roughly calculate- I don't count calories or macros) most days. Granted I'm active and focused on strength and muscle, but I would starve to death on 1,500.
    Sorry for crashing in...I think I eat around the same cal/day. Sometines I think it is tooooo many cals. But it's about 80/20 or 70/30 Although obviously doing well with so much food, I sonehow wait for the big bad gain.

  10. #10
    bcbcbc2's Avatar
    bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    692
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff California View Post
    Hey everyone, longtime MDA reader, but new to the forums. I'm Jeff and from California. Anyway, I was wondering where I went wrong on my primal diet, or if I went wrong at all.

    So about a 2 months ago, I decided to get really serious about losing weight through my primal diet. I had done primal-like eating before, but never bothered to calorie count and never really lost weight. At 186 lbs and only 5' 9'', I was kind of of fat. Well, skinny-fat, thin arms and legs, but a big belly and multiple chins. But I got mono and lost 10lbs from the disease, so I decided to try and continue on losing weight in a more healthy manner.

    It also happened to coincide with a health and fitness challenge at work, to use an app (called Loseit!) to track our food and exercise for a month.

    The app took my fitness goal, going from 177lbs to 155, and calculated a dietary calorie budget of 1500 calories a day. For the first 3 weeks, I ate no grains (except the breadcrumbs on my chicken), and averaged around 130 grams of carbs a day. And I lost a lot of weight really quickly. Went from 177/176, down to 167 really fast. And I felt great, not really very hungry.

    Then I re-read Mark's weight loss article and he said that the weight loss sweet spot is between 50-100 grams of carbs a day. So I cut my carbs even further and got rid all fruit except for my berry bag that I would eat at lunch (1 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup each raspberries and blueberries). Before this I would snack on a banana before work started, and apple with beef jerky whenever I felt hungry during the day.

    I did that for another 3 weeks and my weight lost completely stalled in the mid 160's, and I started to feel terrible. No energy, always tired. I'd read about carb flu, but this didn't go away after a week. It would only go away after my weekly cheat meal (usually a burger and fries or a couple slices of pizza). I felt hungry all the time. And my weight loss completely stalled in the mid 160's since I went even lower carb.

    So I'm wondering where I went wrong. Should I go back to the higher carb diet?
    I think 50-100 grams of carb per day is Mark's worst advice by far.
    Over and over people post with problems in that range.
    Way more than I ever saw on Atkins or protein power boards.
    Go back to what worked for you.
    If you want to see how keto works for you sometime try solidly under 50g

    edit - maybe I should clarify that I mean more the only bad advice I can think of off hand and definitely not the worst of a bunch of bad stuff that might be implied. Dont want to sound like a troll by accident
    Last edited by bcbcbc2; 03-27-2015 at 07:12 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •