Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Low Bar Squats Unnatural? page

salc is offline Member

Are Low Bar Squats Unnatural?

Shop Now
    Hey there!

Although I'm a low bar squatter, the high bar squat seems to be a more natural movement (the same way you'd do a body weight squat).

Does that make sense, or does it not matter? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Sure. But I'd consider any kind of squat with a barbell on your back to be unnatural. I like low bar because you can use more weight, have about the same amount of quad work as a high bar or front squat, and better utilize your hamstrings and glutes (useful for deadlift carryover and comfortable sitting).
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Low bar squats may be against the order of nature, YES! What I have seen from low bar guys around here is that it’s beyond unaesthetically and ugly to squat that way with butt coming up first and head between the legs! Do good-mornings instead if you want to broaden your hips and expand the gluteus to the maximus but learn to squat decent like it was meant from the great squat maker…
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Eich is offline Senior Member
    Huh? Low bar feels natural as hell. Very akin to having a kid on your back. High bar is definately the odd ball....if I had to pick.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    You sound like this fool. Are you this fool?

The Truth About Powerlifting Squats | NattyOrNot.com

I can't understand why you'd want a heavy barbell on your traps, ever. Also, the low-bar squat is a completely natural movement, and involves more muscle mass to a greater degree than high bar, while allowing more weight to be moved. So I like it.

(And is not correctly performed with the hips rising at a faster rate than the shoulders, despite Gorbag's admittedly humorous imagery and wordplay)

On a serious note, I think squatting below parallel is great. It's a fun bit of minutiae to debate whether to put the bar 2" higher or lower on your back. But at least do your squats. If strength is useful to you, which it is, add some weight, a little at a time.
    The Champagne of Beards

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    lol...this part of that article baffles me RM:

"The quadriceps and glutes should be the primary movers during a squat. those are the two biggest muscles of the lower body and by doing the low bar you are reducing the knee involvement and shifting most of the work to your ass. Many powerlifters need hip surgeries because the sport is so butt dominant"

So if I'm reading this right my glutes are no longer a part of my ass! Holy shit batman! Somebody tell this guy that his whole site just got FUBARed by that one statement. He's built his entire business model around it!

Edit: Actually I guess he does use the term "dominant". Ah well. I won't delete this, cuz its how I read it on first glance.

Oh, and do you hear that "click" in the video of that dude high bar squatting. Yeah...thats his knee. It's probably not a good thing.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 03-26-2015 at 07:51 AM.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I just find it hilarious that his main argument is that the high bar squat is a more aesthetically pleasing movement to watch. Such an important consideration...
    The Champagne of Beards

MissJ is offline Member
    I'd go with the Low Bar.
    "It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop." -Confucius
    "A year from now you will wish you had started today." - Karen Lamb

http://aquaponicsgrowingtips.com/

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    lol...this part of that article baffles me RM:

"The quadriceps and glutes should be the primary movers during a squat. those are the two biggest muscles of the lower body and by doing the low bar you are reducing the knee involvement and shifting most of the work to your ass. Many powerlifters need hip surgeries because the sport is so butt dominant"

So if I'm reading this right my glutes are no longer a part of my ass! Holy shit batman! Somebody tell this guy that his whole site just got FUBARed by that one statement. He's built his entire business model around it!

Edit: Actually I guess he does use the term "dominant". Ah well. I won't delete this, cuz its how I read it on first glance.

Oh, and do you hear that "click" in the video of that dude high bar squatting. Yeah...thats his knee. It's probably not a good thing.
    Fair point but I think its poor phrasing rather than him being THAT ignorant.

I read the objection as being low bar uses TOO MUCH glute/ass, too little quad.

Nobody questions the more glute part. I'm not sure if the less quad part is true or its max quad AND max glute or if its different by individual.

In a program with deads it seems at least a reasonable alternative to set up your squats as clearly quad-dominant.

edit-(I posted simultaneous with your edit)
    Last edited by bcbcbc2; 03-26-2015 at 08:26 AM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    ^Ya. My initial skim led to me hastily writing that. I understand now that he is speaking in terms of shifting dominance rather than that the ass does not include the glutes . That's why I wrote the little edit there.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast