Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potassium pills page

breadsauce is offline Senior Member

Potassium pills

Primal Fuel
    Having found (FitDay!) that I am usually low in magnesium and Potassium, I have bought some potassium supplements. They are 99 mg - it seems a tiny amount compared to the RDA of 3500 mg? Granted I usually achieve between 50% and a real good day like yesterday, 90%, it doesn't mean popping 30 pills - but one pill is going to make very little difference .

This is taken from Solgar's website (the pills are Solgar potassium)

"solgar supplement, Potassium is an unusual case, as adequate amounts of potassium cannot, by law, be sold in nonprescription products. Thus potassium, when included in an MVM formula, represents only a trivial amount. MVMs may contain iron, but these should be taken only by people who have been diagnosed as having, or being at high risk of, iron deficiency, or who have a history of frequent iron deficiencies."

Why?

Hector is offline Junior Member
    Not sure for the reason for this, but if your looking for a good way to add potassium to your diet try coconut water.

http://www.vitacoco.com/

11.2 oz has 680mg potassium.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    I read that the form of potassium used in pills can be a very bad stomach irritant, and that's why the dose is so limited.

I found a nice PDF of potassium counts in various foods: http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles...t/sr22w306.pdf

Tomatoes and avocados, among other things, have a ton of potassium in them. Good luck, I hope this helps!

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    Not sure for the reason for this, but if your looking for a good way to add potassium to your diet try coconut water.

http://www.vitacoco.com/

11.2 oz has 680mg potassium.
    I LOVE COCONUT WATER!!!I drink the vita coco brand too! I strongly recommend you add coconut water to your diet! It is amazing for you... of course all forms of coconut are!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosenberry View Post
    I LOVE COCONUT WATER!!!I drink the vita coco brand too! I strongly recommend you add coconut water to your diet! It is amazing for you... of course all forms of coconut are!
    +1 i love coconut water too!

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    How much sugar is in an 11 oz carton of Vita Coco water? I couldn't find the info. on their website. It seems like all the canned coconut water I see in stores has quite a bit of sugar in it; I'll look for this Vita Coco stuff. Thanks for posting the info, I'm always looking for ways to increase potassium.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    I use NoSalt salt substitute as a potassium supplement. If you have any health, kidney or heart issues, don't do this. But you can measure out the appropriate amount. A small sprinkling over dinner generally has no real taste.

Hector is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canarygirl View Post
    How much sugar is in an 11 oz carton of Vita Coco water? I couldn't find the info. on their website. It seems like all the canned coconut water I see in stores has quite a bit of sugar in it; I'll look for this Vita Coco stuff. Thanks for posting the info, I'm always looking for ways to increase potassium.
    The 11.2 oz coco water has 15g carbs (all sugar)

http://store.vitacoco.com/v/images/NutInfo/179.pdf

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    great; thanks. I guess this would best be used in conjunction with exercise then.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Yes, one 11.2 oz container has 15 grams of sugar. But, it is not that sweet at all. I feel like it is a different kind of sugar, literally..... it is pure coconut water - one ingredient so its all natural like fruit. But, it does not taste that way. It's weird but i LOVE the stuff!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast