Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a gluten free vegetarian diet healthy?? page

nanetta is offline Member

Is a gluten free vegetarian diet healthy??

Shop Now
    Hi, I'm in an extremely desperate situation. First of all, I'm 19 years old and I still live with my family, who doesn't support my diet and I have to buy some food with my little pocket money.

Secondly, I've been avoiding meat because I saw a terrible video about how animals are slaughtered and it shocked me so much that I cut meat from my primal diet. Then I started to eat some legumes and healthy dairy, while I can't afford to buy grass fed meat, but some sweet potatoes, although they are very expensive as I live in Italy.

Finally, I can't go to the gym because I have a bad inflammation on my hands and all these things made me badly fat from my point of view (158 cm tall and 58 kg weight). Since last week I've been running less than 30 minutes sometimes because I can't have long walkings and today I bought buckwheat pasta, which is very healthy.

However, I don't know if this diet is good since I often feel hungry and craved with junk food. I hope the little changes I made will help me, but I really can't eat either meat or grains.

What do you suggest me??

gergirl is offline Senior Member
    Vegetables, fruits, nuts, no dairy, hemp seeds, chia seeds, potatos, no gluten, pseudo grains, eggs, well cooked legumes, brown rice, sometimes fish.no processed food, avoid sugar and sweeteners.
    I am vegetarian since 22 years (33yo).Almost vegan now.
    Others will suggest other things, but I feel right about (not) eating the food mentioned above!

EatMoveSleep is online now Senior Member
    The video was probably made by militant vegans to shock people to not eat meat - it worked for you.

One species of animals it seems militant vegans least care about is the human species.

A video of what a terrible diet does to health and life of humans over the long term would be shocking - it ends human lives in a terrible way.

If you had a cat would it be appropriate and responsible if you fed it a vegan diet? Does the health of the animal come it to it?

You currently have the responsibility of the care and feeding of just one human life - at the moment it seems you're not feeding that person well, the person is hungry and slowly coming inflamed, fat and sick.

This person deserves a better level of care.

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    Potatoes and milk are relatively cheap and nutritious

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I agree with EMS, it sounds like the way you are eating isn't working for you. What about introducing eggs?
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

nanetta is offline Member
    I agree with EMS too and that's the reason for I don't eat grain fed meat. I was shocked by the video mostly because I realized what I was eating. Animals are bred in a cruel way: they can't move in tiny cages and they are fed with GRAIN, which is not included in the primal diet. They are even worse than an obese who eats only junk food.

Of course, this kind of diet won't last forever. When I'll have a job and leave home (perhaps next year), I'll be pleased to eat Heidi's lamb.

Anyway, I appreciate your advice because this diet isn't working verywell, you're right, that's why I ask some help

Hi gergirl, do you really eat those foods and don't feel hungry every three hours?? That's interesting

Ps. I got tenosynovitis on my hands as last summer I worked as a waitress (maybe slave is the correct word, the worst experience ever).

Have a nice weekend

Nellodee is online now Senior Member
    If you're hungry so often you should probably eat more. Eggs and grass-fed dairy are great options if you want to go the protein and fat route. Are you tracking your food intake? Put your foods in and see if your calories are around where you want them, and look for any deficiencies you may want to fix. Try something like this: https://cronometer.com

Some people here might want to convince you to eat meat, but you totally don't have to. On a tight budget eating clean is so much easier without the super expensive meats. Are you soaking your beans?
    Music of the day/week/month/whatever:

Courtney Barnett - Pedestrian At Best

put me on a pedestal and i'll only disappoint you!
    --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-nr1nNC3ds

Badgerfaced is offline Senior Member
    badly fat at 58KG?

i dont think so!
    "I reserve the right to say stupid things"

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member

Is a gluten free vegetarian diet healthy??

You don't really NEED to add grains/legumes back in on a vegetarian diet. If you WANT to, that's another story. I don't see anything wrong per se with gluten-free grains but I don't think of them as very nutritious either.

Cottage cheese, potatoes, bananas, eggs, yams, carrots, beets, fruits, etc are perfectly good to eat for both primal AND vegetarian purposes. You are hungry all the time because your insulin response is screwed up IMO... I eat higher carb paleo (not vegetarian, but I love my fruits/veggies and eat a ton of them!) and I can eat just 2 meals a day (lunch + dinner) if I really wanted to (but I am eating 3ish right now because I want to eat something after my workouts, which are falling at 6am in the morning). It took me a lot of work to get to the point where my blood sugar stays more or less stable though. I also know that because I am eating HCLF and a ton of plant matter I have to eat a higher amount of volume to get the same number of calories as someone eating higher fat... So if I keep getting hungry it might just be a matter of not eating enough at one time.
    Last edited by TQP; 03-21-2015 at 09:43 PM.

gergirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
    Potatoes and milk are relatively cheap and nutritious
    potatos: good, dairy: crap

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast