Thread: success story in progress page

whitebear is online now Senior Member

success story in progress

Shop Now
    I've been a member for a while but haven't participated in quite some time. Over the years I've been on and off with Paleo/Primal. I've also had some issues with alcohol. A couple months ago I landed myself in the hospital with congestive heart failure at 40 years old, weighing in at 330lbs at 5'8". Testing revealed an enlarged and weakened heart muscle and an ejection fraction under 20%. I had a heart cath and there are no blockages or anything like that so the remaining culprits are uncontrolled hypertension, alcohol abuse and/or a heart virus. Due to my relatively young age my cardiologist dose not believe it's from the high blood pressure which wasn't that high by their standards. He really thinks it was a combination of the booze and a virus. I won't know where my ejection fraction is at until April 14th after I have a MUGA scan but I'm happy to say that as I stand here writing this I'm down to 250lbs and I'm feeling better than I have in at least a year. I have to credit eating a mostly Paleo diet, abstaining from alcohol and walking for my weight loss and improving health. There won't be any turning back from this way of eating now. I've had my wake up call.

I'd also like to mention that despite a very meat heavy diet for years now and to my doctors surprise my blood work revealed normal cholesterol levels. I've been trying to stay paleo for a long time.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Good for you for taking your life into your own hands! I hope you'll hear some good results when they recheck your EF. Stay the course, and if I were you, I'd be pretty strict from here on out. Looks like you may have lucked out and gotten a do-over.

Thanks for sharing your awesome results, I hope you'll be enjoying even more of them in the future!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    From 330 to 250 is very impressive! It sounds like you know what to do and are doing it. Well done!
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    I have been through the same at the age of 18. According to my cardiologist my heart was hit with the flu-virus. In my worst moment I had an ejection fraction of 27% and was on a waiting list for a heart transplant. However due to a small miracle, good medication and having reasons to live I somehow managed to get back and now have only limited amount of issues. (My ejection fraction is now almost back to normal again).

I found that going wheat free reduced my heart rhythm issues. I still need to work on regaining my health to thrive but at least I can now enjoy things again. I'm sure that you will get there as well.
    Just one tip, never believe the doctors when they saying you can not fully recover, that is bullshit. If you really work hard for it and do all you can to live healthy and eat properly and move as your heart allows you can recover quite a bit. Your body is a miracle healer it just needs time and help.
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words. My cardiologist is actually very optimistic about me recovering and so am I. I'm preparing to start a whole 30 and see how that goes for my healing. I figure it can't hurt to feed my cells what they were meant to have and leave out all the questionable stuff.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebear View Post
    Thanks for the kind and encouraging words. My cardiologist is actually very optimistic about me recovering and so am I. I'm preparing to start a whole 30 and see how that goes for my healing. I figure it can't hurt to feed my cells what they were meant to have and leave out all the questionable stuff.
    That's good...
    I just remembered and wanted to share. If you are up for it, research keto diet and heart health. Apparently the heart muscle functions better on ketones then carbs... not sure where I read it but it should be out there
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Drock is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Congrats on the life change, whitebear! Especially for dealing with your alcohol issues. Best wishes with the Whole30