Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal of 2 Toddlers (sofiawahaj) page

sofiawahaj Guest

Primal Journal of 2 Toddlers (sofiawahaj)

Shop Now

My goal: To get my 1.5 yo and 3.5 yo daughters off the grains and sugar (at least make an improvement). I am going to journal what I feed my daughters, not what I myself am eating. I have 2 kids, but they eat pretty much the same thing, so I will record it as if they are one. Any ideas/advice/recommendations are gladly accepted!

Day 1:

B: scrambled egg, dry toast dipped in black tea w/ cream & stevia

S: goldfish and apple juice (they were at babysitters house)

L: cream chicken soup w/ rice, potato, corn in it (I made it from scratch a while ago and froze it in small containers)

S: sugar-free chocolate syrup and whole milk

D: cauliflower crust pizza (same as me - it's grain-free but has tons of cheese)

Okay, so today was a bad start. I know. But I am still going to record this b/c maybe other parents want to know that they are not alone in their (failed) attempts to feed their kids healthier food. This is going to be VERY HARD, esp b/c Grandma (my mother-in-law, aka queen of sugar) will be arriving for 10 days on Wed. She sneaks the kids chocolate and has the most severe sugar addiction herself that I have ever seen . But I will still try! Anything has got to be an improvement.

I am not sure how to even go about this? My kids like meat, no prob. Veggies? There's a problem. Even fruit can be problematic, esp textures (eg, I puree blueberries for their oatmeal). I think pureeing their veggies is one idea. And learning to bake close-to-primal "treats" such as the recipes from Elena's Pantry (www.elanaspantry.com) might be another solution. Of course, this sounds like more work for an already tired mom, but I really want to make an improvement. I don't want my kids growing up clueless like I did.

Please help if anyone is even reading this (though now that there are a million journals out there, who has time to read all of them?)

primalmom is offline Member

Hey Sofia ! Thanks for stopping by my journal ! My boys are 3 and 9 ... it IS a challenge to get them moving in the right direction, esp with the outside influences !! There is no way I can change what the babysitter feeds my 3 yo (not all bad but still processed stuff !) but I can definitely do it at home ... My 9 yo is a bit chubs right now (so, my mom brought him cookies when they came over ??!!) ...but my 9 yo is wanting to lose a bit of fluff ...

Here are some of the things I am trying with my kids:

* eggs, of couse

* ham & cheese slices

* trail mix with nuts and dried fruit

* teeny bit of dark choc here and there (!)

* raw milk / "milkshake" with a bit of protein powder in the milk - older kid only

* organic yogurt with agave nectar

* fresh berries

* meat that we are eating - chicken, beef, whatever

* broccoli, salad etc

things we have gotten rid of:

* grain-based snacks / cereal - crackers, puffs, cereal bars, etc

* fast-food

* grains like pasta, rice, oats as well as potatoes (still eat sweet potatoes)

* soda, all

* anything with HFCS and trans fats

things we are still working on (!)

* juice - 3 yo has love affair with watered-down apple juice

* breaded chicken nuggets - organic, but still breaded

* wholewheat and gluten-free breads - occasionally

* mac and cheese - organic, but still !

* eating more greens

I figure it is a work in progress and we will get there !! ... School lunches are the pits so my 9 yo takes his lunch (uncool but I don't care !) .... let me know how it is going for you and good luck with the MIL !!!!

PrimalMom
    Check out my new blog at http://primalmom.blogspot.com

Mick Guest

[quote]

sugar-free chocolate syrup and whole milk
    </blockquote>

Is it worth looking into raw cacao nibs?

I&#39;ve no idea what&#39;s in the sugar-free chocolate syrup, but sometimes sugar-free stuff is loaded with sugar-substitutes that are probably best avoided. And how much real cocoa is in the chocolate?

I don&#39;t know what the price generally is, but I did buy a small packet of nibs once when I came across them in a health food shop, and it didn&#39;t cost me an arm and a leg.

Chocolate&#39;s got some caffeine in it, but I don&#39;t know it&#39;s enough to worry about. Besides, chocolate does have nutritional value, and denying chocolate to those who already have a taste for it (or substituting something like carob) is perhaps a non-starter. Going back nearer to the "raw" state might be an option, though.

The packet I bought suggested sprinkling them on muesli - which I did occasionally, since I didn&#39;t avoid it back then - but I think you can just whizz them up in a liquidizer or food-processor with milk. To sweeten it you could add a little honey or maple syrup.

I think the thing is the more "raw" (in the sense of unprocessed) something is, the better. If food is refined, it keeps longer - case in point: white flour doesn&#39;t spoil quickly - but in the refining process, you lose vitamins, trace elements, and enzymes. Raw honey and maple syrup do have some of these, so if you want a sweetener they&#39;re OK in small amounts and certainly better than something like saccharine or aspartame that isn&#39;t natural and doesn&#39;t come with these.

I think a lot of people here would avoid milk, and some would even avoid milk products, although I know Mark has said he enjoys some cheese and yoghurt. I don&#39;t avoid them myself, and I think anyone who does had best ensure they have other sources for some of the nutrients in them - regular consumption of bone-broth, for example. I&#39;d be very reluctant not to give small children milk. However, modern pasteurized milk (and often homogenized, too) seems not to be easily digestible for many people. And some pretty nasty things are done to some of the milk on the market, according to the WAPF:

http://www.westonaprice.org/transition/dairy.html

You can make milk (specially pasteurized milk) more digestible by treating it with a culture to lactic-ferment it, such as piima or yoghurt-culture.

There are various sources for these cultures - here&#39;s one:

http://www.fermentedtreasures.com/yogurt.html

Piima is basically a Finnish buttermilk culture.

I don&#39;t know what children would make of piima-cultured milk. In the old days something like that that would be what they&#39;d have got in Northern Europe, America (and many other places) and they wouldn&#39;t think twice about it. If they&#39;re not used to it, perhaps they wouldn&#39;t like it - or perhaps they would with a little flavouring.

But it is more work again to make it. I&#39;ve sent off for some culture myself - and a electrically-heated tray so that I can get a constant temperature under a glass jar for the culturing (72 - 75 F).

primalmom is offline Member

mm ... cocoa nibs ... they keep well in the freezer BTW ... kefir is a good drink for kids too - like the nasty D&#39;animals thing ... but make sure to get the unsweet kind - or get raw milk and make your own kefir

PrimalMom
    Check out my new blog at http://primalmom.blogspot.com

maba is offline Senior Member

Good to read about your toddlers&#39; diet Sofia. It&#39;ll come handy when I have kids of my own some day. I can understand your predicament about trying to feed the kids healthy when another member of the family is trying to do the exact opposite, albeit with good intention.

Here&#39;s the link from WAPF on Kids&#39; nutrition:

http://westonaprice.org/children/index.html

If your kids don&#39;t eat their fruit but still enjoy treats like ice-cream, you can make it at home with pureed berries. Last night, I blended starwberries and canned coconut milk in a blender and froze it for some yummy, good-for-you ice-cream. Google "coconut milk ice cream recipes", you&#39;ll find lots of them. You can avoid the sweeteners and just increase the amount of fruit/berries.

sofiawahaj Guest

Thanks guys! The WAPF link had some good stuff in it. I definitely need to stop using treats as a reward (but they just work so well!). I have never used cacao nibs - are they like choc chips? Nor have I used Kefir, though I have seen it in the grocery store - is it like yogurt?

The 1.5 yo is still nursing (she&#39;s attached to me as I type this). The 3.5 yo just woke up and asked for her toast dipped in tea - it was the first thing she said as she woke up. I told her "we will see what we get". I haven&#39;t fed them yet.

Let&#39;s try to make a change today!

PattySt Guest

Love this idea! I have two teenagers and it&#39;s equally as difficult...mostly because our schedules are all different and they get "lazy" about their food. I alway tell them "don&#39;t be lazy about your food".

We&#39;ve never had lots of junk in the house, but they tend to grab a bagel or muffin if they need something quick. Although there is much less of those in the house recently.

My 17yo daughter has made the goal of eliminating gluten and eating less sugar and starches. My 15yo son has the goal of eating more protein and vegetables. At their age it has to be their program so we are taking it in reasonable measure. The end result is for them to know what good nutrition is when they are out on their own.

I look forward to hearing about your progress. Good luck!!

Mick Guest

The cacao nibs are literally just bits of the cacao/cocoa beans. They look like a handful of fine gravel. I just found a good picture by looking in Google Images:

http://hangproud.com/Page/1134

That&#39;s the most raw form, although something like Green & Blacks cocoa powder is pretty good and you can get that to blend into cold liquids, like milk, if you start by stirring a little into a spoonful cocoa powder and then whisking or whizzing the rest of the liquid in.

Kefir is similar to yoghurt, cultured buttermilk, etc., but has different micro-organisms in it. It&#39;s a bit thicker than piima/buttermilk and a bit tarter in flavour.

If you&#39;re interested in making some kind of fermented milk product, you don&#39;t necessarily need a starter. You should be able to make yoghurt by starting with a few spoonfuls of good commercial yoghurt. A wide-mouthed glass jar and a warm place is all you need:

http://homecooking.about.com/od/dair...r/bldairy9.htm

Alcinda Guest

Love reading that you are giving your children whole milk not lo fat!! I think it&#39;s a sin promoting low fat on toddlers and young children....well on anyone, but especially on them!!

I fed mine lots of home cooked meals, not as good as I&#39;d give them today, but back then I was a low fat follower. A small grinder comes in very handy, as does a small food processor.

Mine are all grown, so now I&#39;m trying to educate them on how to best feed theirs when the time comes (DD is getting married the 29th!!).

maba is offline Senior Member

Sofia, here&#39;s a book that you and all the parents here might be interested in:

http://westonaprice.org/bookreviews/...ld_health.html

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast