Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: melatonin and ltryptophan page

MalPaz is offline Senior Member

melatonin and ltryptophan

Primal Fuel
    what do you guys know about either of these and sleep??

umm....bump???

primalclubber is offline Senior Member
    I take a melotonin/theanine combo I picked up at Costco. I get a much deeper sleep and wake up rested. I've taken it for the last 6 mos or so with no apparent ill affect.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I've been waking feeling unrested lately for no explicable reason (diet good, exercise ok, stress levels reasonable), so I took some melatonin (from NOW foods) last night and hit the hay early. I nearly sprung out of bed at 4am with a crap ton of energy. I don't plan on taking it long term, just want to play around with it a bit to see how effective it is. Maybe last night was a fluke/placebo effect.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    Melatonin works to promote sleep but should not be taken for a long period of time (like more than a week) because it can cause dependency and even depression. Tryptophan is a precursor to melatonin and does not have these side effects. I take a 500 mg capsule of tryptophan before bed, about every other day. I sleep better on the days that I take it.

Quote Originally Posted by kennelmom View Post
    I've been waking feeling unrested lately for no explicable reason (diet good, exercise ok, stress levels reasonable), so I took some melatonin (from NOW foods) last night and hit the hay early. I nearly sprung out of bed at 4am with a crap ton of energy. I don't plan on taking it long term, just want to play around with it a bit to see how effective it is. Maybe last night was a fluke/placebo effect.
    i gotthe same ones... it didnt DO aything?!?!?!? i was awake all night! but i think i ate to much at night and that prolly has a big impact on my sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Canarygirl View Post
    Melatonin works to promote sleep but should not be taken for a long period of time (like more than a week) because it can cause dependency and even depression. Tryptophan is a precursor to melatonin and does not have these side effects. I take a 500 mg capsule of tryptophan before bed, about every other day. I sleep better on the days that I take it.
    i have that but i havent taken it, you like, it works?

Xenya is offline Member
    I had a melatonin stage that really improved my sleep, but did make me a bit drowsy throughout the day, perhaps I should have lowered the dose?... anyways, what I found works even better for me is magnesium powder. same effect, without the drowsiness. i drink a cup in bed (sometimes mixed with herbal tea) and get very relaxed in 15 minutes.. knocked out in 20 or so. I also used to get a lot of muscle cramps ( waking up in the middle of the night with a calf cramp - urggggg) and that is history!

can i lik up cap the powder in my magnesium and stick it in some water?

Steve1907 is offline Senior Member
    I have taken Melatonin on occasion 3mg and 5mg dosage. It definitely works for me. I do find a slight "hang over" phenomenon, but that might be due to timing. The directions say take 1/2 hour before bed and I am usually only getting 7 hours in the sack, so it might last longer than 7 hours?
    "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast