Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have experience taking CLA page

Vick is offline Senior Member

Does anyone have experience taking CLA

Shop Now
    CLA is Conjuglated linoleic acid. This is a natural fatty acid that promotes fat loss while perserving muscle mass.

Has anyone tried it and what results have you had?

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Isn't it naturally occurring in beef? Just Eat Meat!
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

I understand that. Dairy too.

My bad. Let me expand the question.

I'm asking if anyone has experience using it as a supplement and what was your results?

Thanks

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Don't bother with it... it was a fad a few decades ago, didn't do anything spectacular. It made a comeback a few years ago, still hasn't done anything spectacular... just eat real food.

(I myself haven't used it though.)

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    To answer your question: "Yes."

I decided a couple of months ago that there is solid evidence that CLA plays some roles, albeit minor, in muscle formation and weight control.

The amount of CLA in CAFO meat and eggs is far less than natural meat. That alone is a good reason to consider supplementing with it, just like we do Omega 3's.

My experience is strictly subjective. A few weeks after starting 4 grams of CLA daily I thought I noticed a bit more definition in my chest and back. (I'm still 30 pounds overweight.) Then my sister asked if I had lost weight. Actually, not enough to matter, just a couple of pounds at that point. I took her question to mean she saw more definition, too, and presumed it was weight loss.

I continue to believe the CLA makes a small difference. The only exercise I get besides yard work is riding my mountain bike on streets, about 70 miles a week. Yet, my upper body continues to show better definition, despite never really exercising that body part.

It's only money, no know down side. YMMV.

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    You only need to supplement with CLA if your beef is not grassfed, as the Grassfed has TONS of NATURAL Cla in it already. I usually take it If forced to eat in places where I cannot guarantee the source of my meat. From a weighloss perspective? hype.

@OnTheBayou

Thanks. I've read your posts for close to a year and I know where you are coming from. I've shared your pain.

For others...

I'm not looking for a "silver bullet". I've lost over 40 lbs in 11 months but I'm a heck of a lot stronger than what I was a year ago.

With all due respect to "Velocity"... I'm asking for experience not opinions based on no experience. In fact I'll go one step further. People like you need this info because real food has been genetically reformulated by big agri.

Does CLA supplements reduce fat... mainly tummy fat while perserving muscle mass? I'm asking from people who have used the supplement.
    Last edited by Vick; 07-14-2010 at 05:00 PM.

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    @OnTheBayou

Thanks. I've read your posts for close to a year and I know where you are coming from. I've shared your pain.

For others...

I'm not looking for a "silver bullet". I've lost over 40 lbs in 11 months but I'm a heck of a lot stronger than what I was a year ago.

With all due respect to "Velocity"... I'm asking for experience not opinions based on no experience. In fact I'll go one step further. People like you need this info because real food has been genetically reformulated by big agri.

Does CLA supplements reduce fat... mainly tummy fat while perserving muscle mass?
    vick:
    When I did Body for life 18 months ago I took CLA. 6 Softgels daily. My Primary concern was to lose tummy fat. I don't think It helped, even with an UBER clean diet of the CW of 6 small portion controlled Heavily Proteined Meals. I would not do it again, JMHO. I am not saying anything NEGATIVE about it, I personally did not notice a great difference with it. I took it for 6 months.

@PrincessGrok

Thank you. Now if I may be so bold to ask... is it because you didn't lose tummy fat, or because you aren't sure it contributed to what you lost?

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    You're preaching to the choir here, so to speak. When I said 'real food,' I meant real food in the context of PB. Pastured meats (and similar, e.g. wild-caught fish), non-GMO vegetables/fruits, etc.

Though I haven't taken CLA myself, I have read studies, and seen and heard enough accounts of people who have taken CLA in attempts to lose fat, to draw the (correct, at least by what today's science and evidence says) conclusion that for fat loss, its benefits are at best minor.
    Last edited by Velocity; 07-14-2010 at 05:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast