Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rapid Fat Gain with Crossfit?? page

minihart is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Rapid Fat Gain with Crossfit??

Shop Now
    Hi everyone,

New to the forum, but have been a longtime reader and visitor. Hopefully this is the right place to post this question - I know I've read similar ones here before.

I'm 25, female, relatively fit and active, and follow a Paleo-ish approach to nutrition based on what works best for my body and stomach. In early November I started a new job and picked up Crossfit and went all-out: 5-6 times a week, plus maintaining volleyball, yoga and kettlebell when I could. I did this up until Christmas, or for a little under two months, then had to significantly slow down to prep for the holidays. As soon as I stopped I crashed - HARD. Spent a week barely sleeping, felt exhausted and drained and frazzled. My weight had been inching up during Crossfit, but when the holidays were over I found out I'd gained over 12lbs in under two months - HUGE for a short 5"0 girl like myself.

I now have love handles that never used to be there, I can't fit my upper arms into my old fitted shirts, and my waist, hips, butt and legs are wider than ever before. I know this isn't just muscle gain.

Extensive lab work has marked elevated cortisol, a few mineral/vitamin deficiencies and slightly elevated (but still within range) fasting insulin. Extensive testing for thyroid (including antibodies) and other hormones are fine.

Has anyone been in this situation before? Any advice? I'm thinking I need to seriously reset - both mentally and physically - and focus on stress reduction. But the more I worry, the worse I feel, the fatter I think I'm getting. I feel totally out of control.

What I'm doing right now:
    - Meticulously tracking food and ensuring a good balance of my essential macros
    - Prescribed supplements (like Omega-3s, Iron, D3, Rhodiola and a potent multi vitamin)
    - 1x Crossfit a week plus lots of walking, some meditation and kettle bell

Thank you!
    Last edited by minihart; 03-11-2015 at 09:12 AM.

Eich is offline Senior Member
    >>picked up Crossfit and went all-out: 5-6 times a week,

>>Extensive lab work has marked elevated cortisol

You don't say....

What you see at Crossfit gyms is a snapshot of people who can tolerate it at the moment. Or pretend to.
    Last edited by Eich; 03-11-2015 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Extensive lab work has marked elevated cortisol

You don't say.
    The expected culprit I know. I'm very aware that elevated cortisol is often a major culprit in issues like this...but I've yet to chat with anyone who's been through a similar situation. There's only so much you can read online or lob across the desk to your doctor before you feel compelled to post in a forum.

Mostly looking for ideas, anecdotes, tips from people who have been there and come out the other end.

Someone else just posted this. Take a look. In fact, you can fast forward 30 minutes. Pretty good.

http://youtu.be/euItQlE12mg

Crossfit cultists don't care if you get hurt or burnt out. In fact, it makes them feel better about themselves when "some people" can't handle it. It's elitist as hell.

What you see at Crossfit gyms is a snapshot of people who can tolerate it at the moment. Or pretend to.
    That's what gets me. I know so many people who can train hard and gain results, even over years of over exertion. I know not everyone is built the same way, but it's still mind boggling - and frustrating.

All i can say is it eat raw animal fats cooked fat causes weight gain, when you cook meat the ft molecules expand where as raw they dont

Sent from my iPod touch using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Bell curve. Standard deviations. What percentage of the population do you think responds favorably to above average degrees of intensity and frequency?

It's a spectrum. Depends on how above average we're talking about. 6 days a week, going all out...that's a lot. The relationship is inverse. The crazier it gets, the fewer people there are who can do it, and the more who drop out. But you don't see the drop-outs do you?

You might as well set some sort of other arbitrary standard. Have a gym which requires people be a certain height. You'll show up to the gym and be like: "Wow...I'd also like to be tall."

But of course, that's ridiculous.

But when you walk into a "Box" you don't consider that recovery ability is a thing, and what you're seeing might be a selection bias favoring a certain type of person. It's just that you can't see that trait.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I'd cut it back to once or twice a week and see how that does.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Bell curve. Standard deviations. What percentage of the population do you think responds favorably to above average degrees of intensity and frequency?

It's a spectrum. Depends on how above average we're talking about. 6 days a week, going all out...that's a lot. The relationship is inverse. The crazier it gets, the fewer people there are who can do it, and the more who drop out. But you don't see the drop-outs do you?

You might as well set some sort of other arbitrary standard. Have a gym which requires people be a certain height. You'll show up to the gym and be like: "Wow...I'd also like to be tall."

But of course, that's ridiculous.

But when you walk into a "Box" you don't consider that recovery ability is a thing, and what you're seeing might be a selection bias favoring a certain type of person. It's just that you can't see that trait.
    All great points. That, combined with the influx of female-centric, pro-Crossfit articles driving women to push themselves like beasts while still being able to wear their skinny jeans...ack! Not possible for the general population, is it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast