Thread: Are all non-primal foods equally evil? page

Katie82 is offline Senior Member

Are all non-primal foods equally evil?

Primal Fuel
    So, there have been a lot of posts lately asking whether potatoes, beans, peas, corn, etc... are all that bad for us?
    In reading peoples responses I've noticed that a lot of people just say "it's not primal, don't eat it" and then others sort of have a class system for the non-primal foods rating them from worst to best.
    So, I'm curious how many people just avoid all non-primal foods equally? And, for those who don't think they are all equal which foods do you think are worst and best. I'm wondering if we all agree on what is the worst.
    I would put them in order like this:
    Pure evil: Wheat and gluten grains, refined sugar, vegetable oils, anything highly processed and artificial.
    Not as bad: other grains, unrefined sugars(honey, raw sugar) Beans unless properly prepared.
    Okay in moderation: Fresh corn, peas, properly soaked beans, dairy if you can tolerate it.

I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting and you don't have to use my categories, that's just how I think about it.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    tubers are primal and paleo foods.

vegetable oils, sugar, and junk grains. if you can avoid those three things, you are doing good in my book.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Vegetable oils, trans fats, gluten, whole grains, and chemicals are as bad as it gets and I won't go near that stuff.

On the other hand I eat many non-paleo foods in moderation such as white rice (never brown), potatoes, dairy, sugar, nightshades... They never give me a problem. I'm not suggesting you eat any of these though!

On the ooother hand, one primal food I tend to avoid are nuts and seeds, though.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    This isn't a religion, they aren't all equally sinful. Some are worse than others. Of course in some cases I see no point in distinguishing between things that are less bad than other things but still bad enough that nobody in their right mind with knowledge of the damaging effects would willingly consume at all. I notice a attitude of deprivation where people feel that if they just never eat certain things than they are depriving themselves and doing something too "extreme" and reprehensible. But I see no sense in such an attitude. Countless human beings have gone their entire lives without eating junk food and they were no worse off for it. Eating some corn once a month isn't likely going to have too much of a negative effect in the long run but then my question is always "why?" What's the point? If someone is bored eating only paleo foods then they're not trying hard enough.

The end goal is to be as happy and healthy as possible and in the end it's going to take an evaluation of the positives and negative of a food combined with the perceived cost/benefit that eating it will have upon oneself. There are no absolutes.

edit: oh yeah and that's a good point. if you're going to cheat, for the love of god keep it gluten free! Vegetable oils too.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

soror is offline Senior Member
    Gluten is highest on my list of 'sins', then chemicals, additives and such, nasty oils- sugar- especially refined- soy-

I eat tubers more some times than others- legumes don't stress me too much although I generally don't eat them (cannot remember the last time I did).

Non gluten grains I rarely eat but whole rice and popcorn are my most likely to eat. Rice and other gluten free grain flours I think are really not good for me- but if someone makes me a gluten free cake w/ rice flour I would eat a bit to be polite-

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by soror View Post
    Gluten is highest on my list of 'sins', then chemicals, additives and such, nasty oils- sugar- especially refined- soy-

I eat tubers more some times than others- legumes don't stress me too much although I generally don't eat them (cannot remember the last time I did).

Non gluten grains I rarely eat but whole rice and popcorn are my most likely to eat. Rice and other gluten free grain flours I think are really not good for me- but if someone makes me a gluten free cake w/ rice flour I would eat a bit to be polite-
    for some reason I dont trust the alternative flours either........I will admit I've never had them, but I just dont trust it. And, I really dont feel like there is anything missing that requires a 'replacement' flour, so theres that. I have the luxury of having no children who are used to their baked goods, pizza, and birthday cakes, so perhaps if I did I would use the alt. flours more, but I dont.

I find it interesting that you put gluten as more sinful than chemicals and nasty oils, and sugar.