Thread: How long will ketosis "symptoms" persist? page

tarek is offline Senior Member

How long will ketosis "symptoms" persist?

So, for the past few nights, I've had quite a bit of trouble falling asleep. My body is very tired, but I've just been unable to sleep as soundly as I normally do. At first, I thought it might have been the dairy I was including in my diet, so I cut that out. The sleeping troubles persisted. I just realized that I've been eating fewer carbohydrates than ever (I don't really keep count, but I believe it's been around 100 grams or less each day for the past two weeks or so), so I think my body might have entered ketosis. I do have some of the other "symptoms" -- I have a funny taste in the back of my mouth, I'm thirsty more often than usual (I still drink plenty of water), I feel fatigued often, etc.

I won't mind dealing with this as long as it eventually subsides, but I would like to know how long it will last, given that I continue to eat the same amount of carbohydrates. If you think I need to eat more or less, go for it; any advice will help. As a side note, I do some form of exercise every day, usually in the form of a light bike ride or a walk, and I do some heavy lifting two to three times per week.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    if youre lifting you need more carbs thats why you feel tired. experiment with eating more of them.

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    From what I gather, some people get over the sleep issues when they get fully acclimated to burning fatty acids for fuel. However, not everyone goes back to their former sleep habits...as long as they are on a low carb diet. You can try taking a tryptophan supplement before bedtime. It helps me. Also, magnesium (chelated for easy absorption).

shannon is offline Senior Member
    Definitely sounds like ketosis. Does your urine have a strange smell? You don't have to answer that if you dont want;-)
    but if you are experiencing this then yes it does get better. I tend to get a big burst of energy and clarity after a few days of vlc. Everyones different, but im sure you'll be back to normal in no time. Are you deliberately keeping the carbs extra low? If you're super active then keep 'em up a bit. It doesn't look like you have any weight to lose so i wouldn't worry.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, I'm actually trying to gain some more muscle weight, so I probably should incorporate more carbohydrates into my daily diet. Haha.
    Thanks for clearing this up, guys, I appreciate it!