Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is better for headaches: Chiropractic or Physical Therapy

Which is better for headaches: Chiropractic or Physical Therapy

Shop Now
    I've had a chronic headache that starts at the back of my head and over the right ear. I've tried a chiro once and it didn't help, but I should probably give it a few more visits. Had a massage and it helped for half the day afterward. I had some tight spots behind the right ear. Sounds like a cervicogenic headache to me. Now I'm wondering if I should go full steam with chiropractic or PT. The latter is covered by insurance. I've been doing home exercises (McKenzie, suboccipital release) but feel like I need some manipulation, to what degree I don't know. Any advice as to which is more effective? Chiros always say most headaches are caused by the neck.
    Last edited by inter; 03-04-2015 at 11:53 AM.

I've seen a DO (Doctor of Osteopathy covered by my insurance) for craniosacral adjustment. She an did evaluation and then some adjustments on me. She also gave me some exercises to do at home. I think it may be helping because I haven't had a headache since. I've also adjusted one of my thyroid meds during the same period so that may have also had an affect.

I think I'd see a Chiro or DO before PT. Have you looked into other possible causes?
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

See your doctor and ask if you can get referred to a neurologist.

DC can make a diagnosis based on evaluation. Should you need a referral he/she will make it.

Quick search yielded this:

Chiropractic

Several clinical trials indicate that spinal manipulation therapy may help treat migraine headaches. In one study of people with migraines, 22% of those who received chiropractic manipulation reported more than a 90% reduction of attacks. Also, 49% reported a significant reduction of the intensity of each migraine.

In another study, people with migraine headaches were randomly assigned to receive spinal manipulation, a daily medication (Elavil), or a combination of both. Spinal manipulation worked as well as Elavil in reducing migraines and had fewer side effects. Combining the two therapies didn't work any better.

In addition, researchers reviewed 9 studies that tested chiropractic for tension or migraine headaches and found that it worked as well as medications in preventing these headaches.

However, not all of these studies were good quality, and they varied in the techniques used. More research is needed to say for sure whether chiropractic can prevent migraines.

Massage and Physical Therapy

Reflexology is a technique that places pressure on specific "reflex points" on the hands and feet that are believed to correspond to areas throughout the body. Some early studies suggest it may relieve pain and allow people with migraines to take less pain medication. However, more research is needed. Practitioners believe reflexology helps you become more aware of your own body signals, which might help you sense the signals that a migraine is about to occur -- before pain starts. They also believe reflexology helps improve general well-being and energy level.

Source: Migraine headache | University of Maryland Medical Center Migraine headache | University of Maryland Medical Center
    University of Maryland Medical Center
    Follow us: @UMMC on Twitter | MedCenter on Facebook

TLDR: Go see a Chiropractor.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 03-06-2015 at 01:00 PM.

There's a broad spectrum of causes for headaches, but if your experiencing cluster headaches ill try to help. Cluster headaches occur in a body with toxins, usually from excessive adrenaline, accompanied by low blood fat and low body fat levels. I REPEAT LOW FAT IS HUGE I WILL POST CURE DOWN BELOW. Avoiding caffeine,aspirin,coffee,chocolate,sodas helps also. Eating raw fat is the main cure for this raw fat from animal sources of course. For example raw cheese, raw cream, raw meat fats will help also raw fish seems to help alot also. If worried about eating raw meat you can eat Raw Salmon. I personally prefer raw salmon for headaches but make sure it's fresh and not previously frozen.

But the trade off is that eating everything raw will make you sound like a pot head.

Which is better for headaches: Chiropractic or Physical Therapy

I'm a headache sufferer myself. Have been since I was a teenager. Most of them are caused by the fact that my neck and shoulder muscles naturally tend to be very tight. Your description of the headache that starts at the base of your head sounds like mine. I have always called it a tension headache .... It starts at the base of my head and wraps up over the back of my skull and rests just over my brows. I have spent many years just believing that I had to "live" with a headache, almost every afternoon. A couple years ago, some of these headaches started turning into migraines. So I finally bit the bullet and committed to seeing my chiro regularly. (Not covered by insurance &#128513 In the past, I'd go for a while then quit after a few weeks. This decision has made such a huge difference. My neck is not so chronically inflamed and my headaches are way less. I usually see the chiro once a week. Also, using heat and ice make a world of difference too. And make sure you're hydrated.

I don't want to poo poo PT...because I'm a firm believer in it as well and have gained much relief with other problems I've faced. You'll just need to find what works best for you. Our necks are so tricky because....what comes first??? The tight muscles or fascia pulling joints out of place and causing inflammation? Or the other way around?

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Ok we'll obviously your cooked meat diet isn't fixing it, like I said you may need raw to reverse it

Sent from my iPod touch using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Tonya Richelle View Post
    I don't want to poo poo PT...because I'm a firm believer in it as well and have gained much relief with other problems I've faced. You'll just need to find what works best for you. Our necks are so tricky because....what comes first??? The tight muscles or fascia pulling joints out of place and causing inflammation? Or the other way around?

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum
    Just wanted to say that I have been doing physical therapy for several months. Because part of my treatment is for a torn rotator cuff my therapist always starts with working on my neck.

Shop Now
    Your headaches are from your diet

Sent from my iPod touch using Marks Daily Apple Forum