Thread: Carbs page

Heidi Lilley is online now Junior Member

Carbs

Shop Now
    Hi, I'm fairly new to Primal, and very new to this site/forum.
    I have type2 diabetes and a trying to keep my blood glucose under control, my last A1c blood test was great it was 5.3, but my last few months regular testings at home have been running in the 110-120 range, so I'd like to get the down a bit.
    My doctor says I should eat between 150-200 grams carbs per day which I already know is obscene, I've been trying to stay under 100, but I'm wondering what y'all would recommend for me as a goal to try to stay in for blood glucose control?
    my diet consists of a smoothie with one cup raw milk yogurt and one cup berries for breakfast, a large mixed greens and veggie salad with oil and seasonings for lunch sometimes with chicken or tuna or egg, and for dinner I usually have chicken, fish or beef and one or two cups of green veggie and once a week a sweet potato. For snack I eat nuts and seeds. Any added suggestions are appreciated.

TimBumper is offline Member
    U r 100% correct. The way to manage ur blood sugar is to keep ur carbs as low as possible. Eating 300g in no way is going to help u! Under 100g a day is a great start! If u maintain that over a long period of time(6 months to a year), I wouldn't be surprised if ur need to take medications completely subsided. The only thing that the Meds do, is lowers ur blood sugar.....it does nothing for insulin resistance, which is the real problem. Managing ur carb intake actually fixed the insulin resistance issue. I'm not a diabetic, but I test my blood sugar and ketones on a daily basis....to learn what my body is doing metabolically. My blood sugar stays in the 70's, and my ketone level stays between .6mmol-2.1mmol. My macro breakdown is 25g net carb, 85g protein, 290g fat.

Sent from my iPhone
    Tim Bumper
    KetoManiac

TimBumper is offline Member
    As far as snacks....my favorite is a "fat smoothie".
    I do 1/4 cup of strawberries, 1 cup of coconut milk, 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream, 1 tbspn of whipped cream, and a packet of Stevia(the only safe sweetener(doesn't raise blood sugar...I've tested).
    This is SUPER delicious, and only has 4g net carbs, no protein, and 25g fat. The fat is what u want, and it's super filling. If this still isn't satiating enough, add coconut oil or MCT oil to this.

Sent from my iPhone
    Tim Bumper
    KetoManiac

alanwil2 is offline Member
    A good way to manage your blood sugar is to buy a glucose monitor and test strips. You only need a box of 50 strips. I bought mine on amazon for about $40. With this you can test the foods you're eating and get real feedback on how your body is responding. Test about 1-2 hours after eating. Your blood sugar should be below 140. If it is going above 140, the food is doing some damage to your body (over time). If I eat a bagel with low fat cream cheese (because it is "healthy"), a glass of orange juice (because it is "healthy") and some fruit, my blood sugar will go to 165, 2 hours after eating. Not good. The neat thing is you can graph out your blood sugar throughout the day. On a low carb, high fat diet, the graph is very even. On low fat, high carb, the blood sugar is up and down throughout the day. It is crazy. After you test your blood sugar, you will see what your body is really doing. You can use this data to change your diet to what works best for you instead of just guessing. The neat thing too is that it doesn't take that long to figure it out.
    Last edited by alanwil2; Today at 11:57 AM.

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    I don't think avoiding carbohydrates is necessary. The goal should be to improve insulin sensitivity, which can decrease in the absence of carbs. You may, however, want to replace starches with sugar (e.g. fruit) because sugar is easier to process for a diabetic.

Magnesium is very important for insulin sensitivity. Sodium can also be beneficial, so you may want to salt your food to taste if you're not doing so already.

Endotoxin is a big source of stress and insulin resistance; you may benefit from improving gut health and flora.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
    I don't think avoiding carbohydrates is necessary. The goal should be to improve insulin sensitivity, which can decrease in the absence of carbs. You may, however, want to replace starches with sugar (e.g. fruit) because sugar is easier to process for a diabetic.

Magnesium is very important for insulin sensitivity. Sodium can also be beneficial, so you may want to salt your food to taste if you're not doing so already.

Endotoxin is a big source of stress and insulin resistance; you may benefit from improving gut health and flora.
    all of this.

Plus, what is your activity level like?