Thread: Non-grass fed biltong (jerky but better)? page

scubasam is offline Senior Member

Non-grass fed biltong (jerky but better)?

Primal Fuel
    I cannot find any grass fed biltong in the US from a reliable source. Biltong is basically South African jerky (but jerky is revolting to me while biltong is INCREDIBLE). Anyway, I have a good source for buying the biltong, but the meat is not grass fed.

How terrible/unhealthy would it be to consume said beef?

Russ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scubasam View Post
    I cannot find any grass fed biltong in the US from a reliable source. Biltong is basically South African jerky (but jerky is revolting to me while biltong is INCREDIBLE). Anyway, I have a good source for buying the biltong, but the meat is not grass fed.

personally, only like 10-25% of the meat i consume is grass fed . . its not easy to find and its expensive.

bump

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scubasam View Post

I would TOTALLY eat it!!!

When I was in SA last summer, I brought 4 or 5 pounds back with me; only to be nailed at SFO on my return home. Seems CT had a hoof-and-mouth outbreak, so they weren't allowed to let any meat products for SA into the US.

(I made the Customs agent promise that he would at least put the Biltong in their break room, rather than throwing it away.)

It is SOOOOOOOO good---where are you buying from?

It is amazing. The last time I bought it, I bought from www.southafricanfoodshop.com and they have great quality (and are one of the cheaper online stores). I am going to order it (but the problem is that I can easily eat a lb of the stuff in one sitting, which is why I buy it once a year <insert embarrassed emoticon here>).

Here is their commerce site.

http://store.fastcommerce.com/home_s...ricanfood.html

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Can you make your own? I just made my own jerky for the first time and it is amazing. It's not quite done yet, but my daughter and I can't stop eating it out of the oven. Put it straight on the racks- not messy at all actually and soooooo good!

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    One thing to note is that animals store toxins in the fat; this is why you should go for LEAN conventional (i.e. non-grass fed) meat. Then add coconut oil and other fats from healthy sources.

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member