Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: church breakfast foods page

melodious is offline Senior Member

Question church breakfast foods

Primal Fuel
    Hello all,
    At my church, we have food between the service and Bible studies, served on a volunteer basis. Usually, it's the typical spread of baked sugar/wheat products (donuts, danishes, sometimes even cakes). These are finger foods that people grab, put on little plates and socialize while eating.
    I've volunteered for the first of August, and would like to break out of the mold. I don't mind that it will be a little more expensive, but I don't have a wide variety of ideas of finger-foods suitable for the breakfast/brunch hour, and that can be served to the little ones as well.
    So far, I'm at fresh fruit (berries, sliced apples, etc), and maybe some smoked salmon (with capers, onions and cream cheese). Does anyone have a good deviled egg recipe? I was thinking of making little cocoa coconut nut balls (recipe from the blog a while ago).
    I need more ideas - help!
    Melodious

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Fat guacamole devils, cheese platter, nut pineapple rolls (mix together pineapple and cream cheese, roll into balls, freeze, and roll in nuts.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Mini egg frittatas made in mini muffin tins.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    Guacamole deviled eggs, from my blog: http://amoderngal.com/2010/07/05/gua...-deviled-eggs/

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    banana bread made with coconut or almond flour tastes just liek the real thing

soror is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatMe216 View Post
    I agree and this is more likely to be accepted by regular SAD eaters. Also, how about quiche or little fruit pizzas w/ some cream cheese on a primal crust.

JStrick is offline Senior Member
    I really like the little egg muffins that are in the cookbook! super simple and the proportions are easily scaled for larger crowds. maybe try some ants on a log with almond butter?(although that could be expensive because almond butter is more expensive comparably so to peanut butter)

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatMe216 View Post
    How hard is it for you guys to find this stuff? I've scoured the grocery stores and haven't seen it. Time to hit the health food place on the way home I guess. Too bad it isn't more common.

I found both flours are pretty easy to find. Of course, pretty much only at Whole Foods or equivalent...
    Thank you for the ideas. More are welcome, but these are great. Also - anyone have a good banana bread recipe that I can edit to not include traditional flour?

Just an update: it was a hit!
    The first people at the table were an elderly woman and her daughter. The elderly woman asked her daughter to pick up some fruit "I can have that." I asked if she would like anything else, and she said she was diabetic. "Well, everything on this table is sugar free. And gluten free, too. No grains or sugar." Her eyes lit up, as I spoke. Then her daughter's. The daughter was gluten intollerant, and they were both so happy that they could eat the post-service snacks, that they thanked me profusely, many times.
    Just had to share!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast