Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grains were easy...dairy isn't :( page

annadragon is offline Junior Member

Grains were easy...dairy isn't :(

Primal Fuel
    Giving up grains were easy-peasy. It was amazing how long I lived thinking all my stomach troubles were some mystery illness that I simply had to accept.
    However, it's become abundantly clear that I'm lactose intolerant. The gas and bloat are pretty obvious signs and symptoms. Also, the return of the vicious constipation/diarrhea cycle is not making me happy. Yet, I'm having a rough time saying no to cheese and butter and heavy cream in my morning coffee. I don't use CM as a substitute because it gives me indigestion.
    How'd y'all quit dairy? Butter and heavy cream I can give up, but it's the cheese that's tough. Heavenly, tasty varieties of soft cheese, hard cheese, washed-rind cheese, stinky cheese and the list goes on.
    Maybe the more appropriate question would be: How to quit da' cheez?

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Who said you had to??
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Victoria is offline Senior Member
    I just went cold turkey on grains and dairy. I thought I would have issues too, but surprisingly I don't.

However, if I go out for a meal somewhere and fancy cheese etc ... then I'm not going to stress over it. I don't eat out that often so it's not a major issue.

I do however drink almond milk. Maybe that's what is satisfying my taste buds as opposed to dairy stuff.
    "For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks." - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

My Facebook (please send a message to introduce yourself though!)

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    I'm actually the exact opposite. I'm trying to give up dairy and avoiding cheese and other dairy products for the most part is easy, it's the butter and cream that is so hard. I never, ever let myself have butter or cream before PB and I have come to love them so much, they are like dear friends that I just can't replace I have drastically reduced the amount I use of each though to the point that I consider myself mostly dairy free. I find it easier to reduce, reduce, reduce until at some point it's almost gone and you hardly notice it anymore. I don't do well with cold turkey.

soror is offline Senior Member
    There is no good sub for cheese sadly, not the hard cheeses for sure. You just have to replace it with other things that you love. Eat more bacon and meat

soror is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrappler View Post
    Who said you had to??
    Ok, trying not to be contrary as I know there are many dairy fanatics here and it is allowed on primal. However I also thought the goal here was optimal health. Eating something that is causing constipation and diarrhea is obviously not contributing to good health for that person.
    Last edited by soror; 07-14-2010 at 09:03 AM.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    why give up butter and cream? that's the last dairy you should give up. It has barely any lactose or casein. It's just animal fat.

I would understand giving up milk, because even i have digestive issues with it sometimes.

Dont fret so much about dairy. Think of it as a neutral food.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    the cheese may be the only culprit as casein is very hard to digest for some-----the butter and cream might be able to stay as they are mainly fat and no protein. try just getting rid of the cheese first, imo. if youre still experiencing symptoms from the cream and butter then chuck em too.

personally, you couldnt pay me to give up hwc in the coffee. i can do no butter and no cheese for weeks, but its the hwc in the coffee that puts a smile on my face! and on my tummy....i have no digestive issues with dairy, so i am grateful for that.
    Last edited by lmyers04; 07-14-2010 at 09:07 AM.

annadragon is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrappler View Post
    Who said you had to??
    No one said I "had to", but I'm making the decision to actively reduce my dairy intake secondary to the above mentioned issues.

Plus, I'm afraid I will come home one day and find my husband has purchased a gasmask to wear when I eat dairy! lol

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Does goat cheese cause the same issues?
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast